Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NurseChef
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/20/13
Atkins Bars and elevated blood sugar

I'm on Atkins for almost a month. I found out that my blood sugar was high (286) and it has come down to as low as 126-130 in the afternoon which was the same time approx that I had learned it was that high back on Sept. 19th and started Atkins immediately at Dinnertime.
My highest blood sugar of the day is when I wake up so this morning it was 176 which to me is an ugly number. I called Atkins and told them I am absolutely eating 20 net carbs a day with plenty of protein and fat but at night I usually eat an Atkins bar and leave a couple of net carbs for this treat.
So I'm told stop the bars! Man that was like enjoying a candy bar every night.
Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this but will return back to this post and add in my morning bs.
I was also told that sugar alcohols may be at fault and the shakes don't have them so the next day will try to consume one shake in the day to see what that does.
Many of us are trying to lose this weight and either avoid or be able to stop medication. I might need to go on Metformin until I get more body weight off and when I have Obamacare kick in I'll have access to see a Dr. I was borderline Hypothyroid so that is probably to blame could with obesity as well.
I will miss my Atkins bar a night but my bs is paramount to get it down and in even more acceptable numbers.
NurseChef is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Metformin is a good drug. it is helpful for weight loss while you are low carbing, and the sooner you start it the more effective it is. highly recommended. it is very cheap if you can get the prescription. at big pharmacies like Walgreens and Walmart and Target I think it's $5 a month? something like that!

yes, the sugar alcohols are not good for a lot of us. good luck cutting out the bars!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Yes, many (most?) of us can't have the bars and successfully lose, diabetic or not.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cb83
Stats: 302/262.6/245
WOE: Induction my way
Start Date: 3.13.13
Certain sugar alcohols have almost the same affect as sugar, some have little to no affect. Then everyone reacts a little different too. You can find a list if them if you google it etc.
cb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
You might try following Dr. Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution". I started it last January 1 and took my A1c from 13 (blood glucose over 300) down to 4.9 (blood glucose around 90) and got off all my medication...and I was taking insulin twice a day along with insulin at meals.

It's pretty rigid (more so than Atkins), but works well because it is designed to reverse insulin resistance which is what leads to diabetes (high blood sugar):

25gm of carbs per day and only from non-starchy vegies and what is normally found in certain foods (e.g. eggs contain carbs)
Spread carbs out across 3 meals - 5 at breakfast, no more than 10 at lunch and 10 at dinner
Protein should be around 1-1.5gm per kilo of *ideal* weight as excess will cause a rise in blood sugar. Excess varies with the individual.
Three meals a day...no snacks.

He does low fat but I never paid attention to that part because I understood the whole fat/carb connection and it's not the fat that is the problem.

Oops...almost forgot. As a diabetic, I found the sugar alcohols were a serious problem. I couldn't use any of the Atkins shakes or bars because I have to count total carbs and that put their stuff pretty high. I think Atkins has recently revised their shake though as I couldn't find my usual shakes in Florida and ended up with theirs because it was the best as far as carbs.

Last edited by Aomiel; 10-15-2013 at 01:47 PM..
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NurseChef
Start Date: 9/20/13
Thank you all for your responses back.
I eat 20-22 carbs/day with carbs mainly coming from plant foods and sometimes dressing like Caesar or Blue cheese and usually 2 tablespoons equals 1 carb.
I can't be more conservative than I am.
Off of the Atkins products for 24 hrs morning bs=153 and before dinner equals126. I don't go lower than 126 which isn't too bad for now.
In Jan will have medical ins so I can get on Metformin.
NurseChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
CF1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CF1
Stats: 216/195/185
Start Date: 10/15/13
Atkins bars stop my weight loss. I was doing well until I added them to my diet in the early spring.
CF1 is offline   Reply With Quote