Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /147.8 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
WHAT IS "CHEAT NIGHT"??

In the October edition of "Woman's World" the front page says, "Atkins Breakthrough... lose 14 lbs a week!!
Anyway, the story goes that every 5th evening after supper, you should overload carbs. WHAT???? They're claiming that over indulging in carbs every 5th evening causes significant weight losses?? Has anyone heard of this?
Now I'm not 100% sure they're talking about the induction phase but it sounds that way. Has anyone heard of this or read this article??
Bonny-Jean is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I've heard the claims in general, and I know carb cycling can work for some, but that's not Atkins. Unfortunately, Woman's World is notorious for that kind of crap.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
I'm no expert but I've read where bodybuilders will carb cycle. BUT they are upping their carb levels with foods like oatmeal, potatoes etc. If you carb cycle by adding sugar loaded junk food back into your diet, you gain a few lbs and spend the next week or two trying to lose what you just gained. You essentially just wasted 2 wks of what could have been decent losses. This might not happen to everyone but its happened to me enough to know that I would be in a never ending cycle of losing the same few lbs over and over if I did a cheat day every 5 days. I do splurge on occasion but its got to be a really good reason and with something really good tasting or its not worth it.
BulldogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SkinnyB212
Stats: 5'5 200/*140*/125
WOE: Atkins, South Beach, Smoothie
Start Date: August 1, 2013!
CHEAT DAYS DO NOT WORK ON ATKINS. In September, right after I fit in my size 10 jeans in the pix below, I tried a "cheat day" on a date night with hubby & not only did I gain 5 lbs, but it took a week to get back to ketosis. Mind you, I did not go overboard. I had sushi & a couple glasses of red wine. However, I guess the carbs in the rice and wine were just too much. I was bloated & felt awful and it ruined the month for me. To get my body back to normal I had to eat "raw for a week" - just uncooked vegetables & fresh vegetable juices.
Nov 01, 2013 - 170
Dec 01, 2013 - 160
Jan 01, 2014 - 155
Feb 01, 2014 - 150
Mar 01, 2014 - 145
May 01, 2014 - 140!
June 01, 2014 - 146 (time to get back on track)

Last edited by SkinnyB212; 10-14-2013 at 01:10 PM..
SkinnyB212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cb83
Stats: 302/262.6/245
WOE: Induction my way
Start Date: 3.13.13
This is kind of what I plan on doing when I'm where I want to be. It's more for when you're looking at maintaining weight while lifting/heavily exercising. The carbing is to reload your muscles with good carbs, not potato chips and crap. Glycogen stores are replenished so you can use them for the next (week) to push hard.
cb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean View Post
In the October edition of "Woman's World" the front page says, "Atkins Breakthrough... lose 14 lbs a week!!
Anyway, the story goes that every 5th evening after supper, you should overload carbs. WHAT???? They're claiming that over indulging in carbs every 5th evening causes significant weight losses?? Has anyone heard of this?
Now I'm not 100% sure they're talking about the induction phase but it sounds that way. Has anyone heard of this or read this article??
Bonny,
The article has nothing to do with Atkins. It's a plan called The Carb Nite Solution where you do low carb (under 30gm) for 10 days, then for 6 hours right before bedtime on the 10th day, you eat high carb. Then the next morning back to less than 30gm of carbs for 4 days (or up to 10 days) then another 'carb nite'.

I've been doing a lot of reading on this 'solution' thinking it might work for my youngest son who just doesn't want to go low carb all the time and here's what I've learned (I've posted this in a couple places here today):
  • This plan seems to work best with men or women who are athletes or are weight training, so it sounds as if it works best with those who have 'muscle'.
  • Maximum benefits are seen when combined with a rigorous workout/weight session the night before Carb Nite.
  • The author of this solution says the average woman (not athlete/weight training) should not overdo it on calories and should stick to low fat/sugary things that raise insulin, whereas men and athletic woman can eat higher fat/high carb foods.
  • The shorter span of 4 days between carb nites is possible if you are lean body mass and weight train or are athletic. Otherwise it's best to only do it every 7 or 10 days.

I bought the book and the 'solution' itself is very vague as far as dietary requirements. Kiefer talks about not counting calories, eating good fats and gives no specifics on how many carbs or even what type of carbs to eat on carb nite. His whole 'solution' just plain makes me nervous.

If you go to the carb nite forum, it's just as vague although they talk about doing 1:1 protein and fats. Took me awhile to figure out they're doing what looks to be a ketogenic type diet with what they consider ultra low carb. I've read through quite a bit of the forum and I'm just not seeing the nonweight training individuals having success with this. In fact, there are several threads from people (women mostly) who are gaining weight and are being told they must not be doing Carb Nite right or aren't staying below 30gm of carbs. One woman said she's eating 1200 calories and less than 25gm of carbs and only from non-starchy vegies (sounds like what I'm doing) and this is exactly what she should be doing according to Kiefer's solution...but she was told that she's eating too many vegies and that's why she's not losing weight.

Kiefer says it is not Atkins because his plan (Carb Nite Solution) is ultra low carb (under 30gm) all the time and Atkins allows more Carbs, allowing fruit and dairy. Obviously the man never read Atkins '72.

The whole premise is of a system reset with the belief that the longer you're on low carb, the more your body will get used to it and will stop producing the hormones that help you lose weight. I've seen other versions of this from various people that involve everything from calorie cycling to having a cheat meal once a week.

If you feel the need to 'reset', you might try a fat fast or even an egg fast. That seems to work for a number of people and without re-introducing the carbs that put most of us here in the first place.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Knew it was bs and too good to be true!! LOL.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fitness_Kitty
Stats: Lost over 200 lbs..20 more to go for final goal.
WOE: Atkin's Induction & 70's version
Start Date: April 2011
I'm upset that magazine used "Atkins" name on the cover. A good friend of mine just texted me today all excited she is on day 3 of "The NEW Atkins diet" and how she gets to eat cookies and donuts Tuesday night......... *sigh*

**Aomiel - is the Carb Nite forum on this web site??

Last edited by Fitness_Kitty; 10-20-2013 at 12:25 PM..
Fitness_Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyAnn13
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 19, 2013
I read article too

The article did say it was the Adkins diet. I saw it in the grocery store one night and ran home and had 1.5 ounces of cheesit snack crackers. All it did was make me super hungry. I looked at the article the next time I was in the grocery store, and I got the impression that the people who really lost were just eating a little extra fruit.
KathyAnn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Barbie83
Stats: 266/251.6/180
WOE: Low Carb/Intermittent Fasting
Start Date: 2/19/2014
crap....i bought this issue because i can never resist the siren song of Women's World

i knew it was too good to be true.....phoeey
Barbie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

ROGER THAT!!!
Old 10-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
When will we learn, there is no easy (eat anything you want) route to achieve weight loss for those of us who have trouble losing. ...lol

A lot of hype to get you to buy or read the article, get your hopes up and then pull the rug out from under you when you realize oops that doesn't work.

Nope not for me, I will stick with my way of eating, no matter how long it takes me to get to my goal weight, and even after. I know I am eating healthier and becoming healthier. LC is the Life for me. And I have found that anything I miss or used to crave, there is a LC recipe for it, even ice cream and Cheetos, oh so yummy.

Ntombi - you changed your pic. Is that you in it?

Last edited by mjgh06; 10-25-2013 at 07:21 AM..
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hellonez
Stats: 332/326/200
WOE: Carb Nite
Start Date: 10/07/2013
Thats so funny, I just started this diet.

So far only six pounds down. But on just the atkins alone I had't lost any weight.

Yes I was doing it right, I think I've yoyo'd on and off this diet so much my body has a resistance to it now. I started basic atkins a month before switching to carb nite. The weight loss is not as fast as the first few times I started atkins but I'm grateful for any loss.

I'm a carb junkie and if the weight loss on this diet lasts, this seems like a plan I can stick with. My next carb nite is tomorrow, so if the weight loss continues into next week theres hope.

I'll try and keep this forum updated if anyones interested.
hellonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:43 AM   #14
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
You just started and are 6 pounds down.. That sounds great!!

If you are worried that you are not losing as fast because your metabolism is not up to par take a look at this interview on fixing that issue so you can "reset" it.

Atkins Nutritionals Interview (Repairing your Metabolism and more)
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ladyjade
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonez View Post
Thats so funny, I just started this diet.

So far only six pounds down. But on just the atkins alone I had't lost any weight.

Yes I was doing it right, I think I've yoyo'd on and off this diet so much my body has a resistance to it now. I started basic atkins a month before switching to carb nite. The weight loss is not as fast as the first few times I started atkins but I'm grateful for any loss.

I'm a carb junkie and if the weight loss on this diet lasts, this seems like a plan I can stick with. My next carb nite is tomorrow, so if the weight loss continues into next week theres hope.

I'll try and keep this forum updated if anyones interested.
Thanks for the info. Please keep us posted.. I started the diet this week. Last nigth was my first cheat night. I ate pasta and bread sticks at Olive Garden, Chocolate bar and some toast and jelly. Up one pound this morning. I expected much more gain because I really packed in the carbs. Expect to see a drop in weight tomorrow. Also, the article said you will wake up hot and need to throw off the blankets.. That happened to me about 2AM. Went to bed at 11.
ladyjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I highly doubt you go down, sometimes takes a day or two to catch up. One night like that usually sets most back for a week or two minimum. That's usually far fewer carbs than you just ingested. Let us know!
Old 10-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SkinnyB212
Stats: 5'5 200/*140*/125
WOE: Atkins, South Beach, Smoothie
Start Date: August 1, 2013!
"Cheat Days" may not cause gain, but will stall weightloss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjade View Post

Thanks for the info. Please keep us posted.. I started the diet this week. Last nigth was my first cheat night. I ate pasta and bread sticks at Olive Garden, Chocolate bar and some toast and jelly. Up one pound this morning. I expected much more gain because I really packed in the carbs. Expect to see a drop in weight tomorrow. Also, the article said you will wake up hot and need to throw off the blankets.. That happened to me about 2AM. Went to bed at 11.
From experience & from advice from my friend who is a nutritionist, I can tell you that "cheat days" either cause a gain or stall weightloss. You cannot fool or hide things from your body. Once you go off plan & eat more carbs, your body switches from 'fat burning mode' to digesting all the food or alcohol that you ingested. So your weight loss will either stall for a couple days (takes 2-3 days for ketosis to kick in) or you may gain.
Sometimes we need "cheat days" for our mental state, to stay on plan or for business travel, family event or date nights.
Once a month I will have a "cheat day" date night with hubby, but I do not go overboard. I just eat about 60g - 80g carbs & have a glass of wine or 2. However, the next day I do a double workout & drink a gallon of water. It usually takes me about 3 days to get back to ketosis & weight loss.

This takes a lot of willpower. My good friend, Valerie cannot have a "cheat day" because it turns into 2 days then 3 days, then before you know it, she is off plan & resolves to start next month.

If you can be disciplined, then "cheat days" can be incorporated into Atkins & not throw you off track.

Last edited by SkinnyB212; 10-29-2013 at 01:04 PM..
SkinnyB212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kempmuhlbauer
Stats: 274/274/190
WOE: Normal old atkins
Start Date: 10/21/13
SkinnyB: You nailed it right on the head. You would never get the advantage of being in ketosis long enough to be steady losing on the "carb nite" diet, as I see it.

One time when doing this WOE after losing 60 pounds or so I did this kinda of plan. I did hard core no carb Sunday thru Thursday, Friday and Saturday I ate all the carby foods I could eat, back on plan Sunday morning with a hard workout. Did this for about 1.5 months and averaged a couple pounds a week lost during that time. HOWEVER, Friday and Saturday, turned to Friday Saturday and Sunday etc. till I was derailed completely. And having to go back through the sugar withdrawal each week sucked also.

I like the occasional cheat day that is not out of control but just enjoy a few treats for a day. But it is a slippery slope, I have had a cheat day turn into cheat months and putting back on all the weight I lost.

Once again a diet promising the world and delivering heart ache!!! Imagine that.

"STAY HEALTHY MY FRIENDS"

GOALS:
1. Keep on plan
2. Stay on plan
3. Work out
4. Run a 1/2 marathon on Jan. 19th!!!
kempmuhlbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Exactly!! Cheating is cheating........ problem is, you're only cheating yourself!!
I call cheating eating 2 fries while dining out. You can "cheat" all you want. It's your body and time that will suffer. Please don't cheat folks, we all work way to hard to purposely set ourselves back. Psst... there's no magic pill or formula. Love Ya all
Old 11-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Naeemah74
Stats: 167/152/135 5'4
Start Date: April 3, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjade View Post

So I'm interested to know what happened. Did you lose the pound plus more? Did you derail due to carb cravings after carb night?

I just started this diet and I'm still in the induction phase; down 10 pounds in 7 days. I know the carb night is supposed to happen on night 10 but I plan to go until night 13 so that I can have a 7 days between the 1st carb night and Thanksgiving which will be my 2nd carb night.

I also read for women carb night should have longer intervals in between (not the normal 4-5 days), like 7-10 days due to our lak of muscle mass in comparison to men. Anyway, I'm in a carb night facebook group where people are losing. The guys usually more than the girls and I think it's due to just recently figuring out that Kiefer said more low carb days for women.

That said, has anyone had any success with this carb night solutions deal?
Naeemah74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:54 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Someone asked about the carb nite forum. I think I can post their website because I didn't see any ads. My apologies to admins if I'm wrong:

Carb Nite®
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margn
Stats: 186.8/153.4/140
Start Date: June 29,2013
I read the article but didn't try it. My daughter is a trainer and she does the carb cycling. It works great for her, but she is also in a gym 9-10 hrs a day. I also know that If I tried that, I'd be sick. after doing low carb and then pack on the carbs, My body would rebel and not in a good way. Not willing to suffer like that. I have seen what she eats during a carb cycle, scary. But then again she burns it off in a day. She does cross training and that is hard core.
margn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margn
Stats: 186.8/153.4/140
Start Date: June 29,2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naeemah74 View Post
So I'm interested to know what happened. Did you lose the pound plus more? Did you derail due to carb cravings after carb night?

I just started this diet and I'm still in the induction phase; down 10 pounds in 7 days. I know the carb night is supposed to happen on night 10 but I plan to go until night 13 so that I can have a 7 days between the 1st carb night and Thanksgiving which will be my 2nd carb night.

I also read for women carb night should have longer intervals in between (not the normal 4-5 days), like 7-10 days due to our lak of muscle mass in comparison to men. Anyway, I'm in a carb night facebook group where people are losing. The guys usually more than the girls and I think it's due to just recently figuring out that Kiefer said more low carb days for women.

That said, has anyone had any success with this carb night solutions deal?
Don't do a carb nite.
margn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

NO CARBS!

Me thinks this is a bad idea. I certainly wouldn't want to test it. Carbs got me this way so why I would tease my body with them again. Well that's something I would never do. All the power to people this might work on but they have to be like 1 in a million!!
Old 11-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
Please don't do a carb nite. It's Broscience for males and bodybuilders. Adding carbs is a slippery slide back into carb addiction and weight gain.
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Broscience lol. Yup it's for the 1%ers that can do it and control it.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
The cover of WW magazine or should I say ragazine sez,
"Atkins Breakthrough! Lose 14 lbs. a week!"
The "cheat night" secret that turbocharges fat-burning!
Blast through plateaus!
Melt off layers of stubborn fat!
Shrink your BMI!
Atkins should sue the magazine.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

BOGUS ARTICLE

Please do not fall victim to this story with tons of misinformation. It is full of lies and false promises. As a carb junkie myself I guess I was looking for "permission" to eat carbs again. You're either low carb or you're not!! This article has NOTHING to do with Atkin's WOE and don't know how they got away with using their name. This is a different WOE completely. This might work for professional body builders and the like but will destroy the average persons attempt at weight loss and more importantly a long term change in the way we eat. Just follow Atkins rules and nothing else. Any diversions from same will not produce the results you are seeking. I started this thread after seeing the article and new to Atkins. I think I was foolishly looking for an excuse to eat badly again. I have not had any "cheat nights" and thank God for that. This is hard enough to do with sabotaging all your efforts. JUST DON'T CHEAT!!!
Old 01-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: yvetj79
Stats: 168.5/159.5/125
Start Date: Dec 29, 2013
I dont do cheat days either.
yvetj79 is offline   Reply With Quote