Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lexilaroo
Could eating carbs late in the day be preventing weight loss?

First off, I'm new so hello everyone. I have a problem I cant make much sense of. Ive done Atkins before with much success losing roughly 150 pounds; this was in my teen years. I remember the pounds just melting away so quickly. This was all without giving up my copious amounts of my coffee and diet soda. Flash forward 5 years and now I need to lose 200+ and Ive been on induction for 2 weeks today. I lost 8 pounds the first week and a half but gained 2 pounds since then! I figured this time around, being bigger I would lose just as fast. Ive given up diet soda all together and narrowed it down to 1-2 BIG cups of coffee in the mornings with 3 packets of splenda combined. (I normally would have drank a whole pot or more) The only rational reason I can come up with is the times I eat in the day. Ive never been a breakfast person and I usually eat around noon every day. Consisting of a 3 omelet with a wedge of cheese. While I'm at work I mainly just drink lots of water or Ill have a sugar free jello or stick of cheese. And then I have dinner around 8-9pm. This is what I think might be hurting me at the end of the day because its late and I'm usually in bed shortly afterwards. For dinner I usually try to incorporate the remaining carbs for the day with adding lots of veggies. Ie. Salads, IF coleslaw, broccoli, spinach, stir frys, etc. Ive actually gone over my 20 carbs for the day twice due to the veggies. So the next day I cut the carbs down dramatically with just coffee, eggs, cheese and egg salad with lettuce. But then there are days I'll have wings, taco meatballs with sour cream and salsa, and hamburger patties with all the fixings. I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Am I completely wrong on this theory? Does it matter what time of day you consume your 20 carbs for the day or is having them in bulk in one late meal a no-no? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by lexilaroo; 10-02-2013 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: rephrase
lexilaroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
The problem with having the majority of your carbs at one sitting is that it spikes your blood sugar and that's what you want to avoid.
Your body doesn't care what your reasoning is , it just sees a bunch of carbs that need to be processed and it responds.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

That makes sense thanks! It might also explain why I was getting flushed after dinner. Didn't think there was enough sugar to cause a blood sugar spike since I was keeping carbs at 20g.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/148.8/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Yep I agree with Dottie. I have learned that I have to eat Very LC at supper and not as
much for me to lose and/or maintain. If I eat a large or higher carb supper I gain
princessmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/204/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: Atkins 4/12 Nutritional Ketosis 1/13
I have never been a big breakfast water, but I wanted to try and stop my night time eating. I started making myself eat breakfast, and the urge to eat at night has mostly went away. Because I quit eating late, I am now ready for a good breakfast when I wake up. I still hate fixing it in the AM, but I know it's best for me.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
Everyone gave great advice. But if you still aren't seeing losses, cut out the cheese and sour cream to see if that makes a difference. Some people have no problems with dairy but some people also won't lose. I'm one of the unfortunate ones that can't have cheese when in weight loss mode.
BulldogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cb83
Stats: 302/262.6/245
WOE: Induction my way
Start Date: 3.13.13
Bulletproof coffee in am, no creamer needed just blend some coco oil, butter, sweetener, and your coffee together. Gets you going and boosts your fat first thing.
cb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try all your suggestions and hope to see some results. going to try that coffee tomorrow!
Old 10-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

I just wanted to let you all know that all of your help worked! Thank you!! Ive lost 15 pounds since starting. Thanks again!
Old 10-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
That's great news lexie, good for you. Did you incorporate all the suggestions i.e. the bulletproof coffee, no carbs at night and cut down on cheese/sour cream to achieve the further weight loss or just the no carbs at night?
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SkinnyB212
Stats: 5'5 200/*145*/125
WOE: Atkins, South Beach, Smoothie
Start Date: August 1, 2013!
no carbs after 6pm

I always used to go for a cheese stick or nuts as a late night snack. Now I only eat these things before 6pm. I make sure I eat all my salads or greens with lunch or breakfast. My evening meal is just protein, with maybe a handful of small cherry tomatoes (no more than 6)!
SkinnyB212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Yes I did everything they suggested. I now eat something before my coffee, usually a hard boiled egg. The bulletproof coffee was a little hard to get used to but after day 2 I adjusted. I actually went to 7-eleven the other morning to get a cup in the AM since I had no time to make some at home, oddly enough their coffee tasted "off" to me! And Ive always LOVED their coffee. My lunches are usually where I have my veggies for the day with a piece of chicken. And for dinner Ive been keeping it VERY LC with meals under 5 carbs. I also cut out the sour cream and have limited the amount of cheese I eat.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Little late in on this, but carbs are best metabolized later in the day. They produce less blood sugar spikes than when consumed first thing in the morning. That said, Dr. Atkins is clear that the daily carb allotment should be spread out a bit, not consumed in one sitting, if you can help it. The occasional 'carb saving' for something like a dinner party is no big deal, but I'd focus on spreading those carbs out over a few hours in the evening instead of a 30 minute sitting, at the very least.

I tend to eat most of my carbs later in the day, too. It's not an issue, provided they're not all bolused in one meal and with no fat to offset them. Certainly not something that would stop weight loss in me, a non-diabetic. But judicious spreading is wiser and more sustainable, too, I'd say.