Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   Confused Newbie.... help (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/813042-confused-newbie-help.html)

Bonny-Jean 09-28-2013 08:38 AM

Confused Newbie.... help

Hi from Manitoba, Canada. Before starting Atkins I'd say my diet was 80% carbs and 20 protein. Yes, I loved my carbs, not the healthy ones, of course. I've been on Atkins for 2 wks and only down 5 lbs. WHAT?? I went on the induction 10 yrs ago and lost 10 in the first week and I was only 50 lbs over. Now I'm 85 lbs overweight and the scale isn't moving. WTH?? I swear to God I've been following the book religiously. I've drank more water in the last 2 wks than in the last 5 years. I eat 3 times a day, only protein. I've started having a tiny salad, only greens with a tsp of Ranch. I don't understand what the heck I'm doing wrong. I haven't purchased Keto Stix cause it sounds like they're not really reliable. I'm 5'4" and 215 lbs. and 53 yrs old. I'm pretty sure at 80+ over I should be losing more than this in 2 wks, don't you?? I will be exercising starting Monday but I didn't have to do a lick of that years ago. I understand about being patient but I really feel like my results are strangely low. Oddly enough, every time I go off 'the pill", I gain weight until I go back on and then it stabilizes. My hormones have been checked and they're all in balance so I'm dumb founded! Any ideas folks?? :dunno:

Patience 09-28-2013 08:46 AM

welcome beeg!
Your exerpience is not ununsual. Lots of folks start or restart a low carb WOE expecting larger losses and find that low carb works better over a longer period of time, with a focus on it becoming a change we can live with. It's also typically harder with each successive try. Women past 40 (and I am well past) can find it challenging to move the scale.

I would encourage you to accept a more moderate rate of loss, not to forget to consider inches lost (how clothes fit) in your assessement, finetune your eating strategies, and focus on improving your health. You will almost certainly get the losses you are seeking if you are patient and stick to a way of eating that can work for you longer term. .

Bonny-Jean 09-28-2013 08:53 AM

Roger that, Bella. Thanks. I'll keep patience in mind. :aprayer:

Patience 09-28-2013 08:58 AM

There are some really cool threads and discussions to join, so make yourself at home. I am not a fast loser, but it's working for me, and I owe so much to the supportive knowledgeable peeps herabouts.

SkinnyB212 09-28-2013 03:01 PM

Slow & steady wins the race!

Not everyone has huge losses. Sometimes those huge losses are mostly water. However, slow steady loses are lasting & really indicate fat is melting off. Hang in there. I have been slowly losing about 8 lbs a month since I started in August. So,this is an average of 2 lbs a week. However, I am down 2 sizes & my waist is coming back! At 8 lbs a month, I will lose 40 lbs in 5 months & that will be fine by me! Hang in there:)

Bonny-Jean 09-28-2013 07:03 PM

Is there a guarantee that if you follow Atkins and stay on it that you will indeed lose weight?? Is it possible some bodies won't lose on a low carb, high fat diet? My belly seems to puff up after I've eaten, then I get a belly ache, then I'm doing the goose dance. Not sure where you're from but when I was 188, I was wearing a size 16!! I started gaining weight 17 yrs ago when I went off the pill, believe it or not. I will follow your advice and just try to be patient. Thanks for the support and you sound like you will reach your goal for sure. All the best, Bonny-Jean :D

ValidRouge 09-29-2013 06:33 AM

I lost a lot of weight really fast when I did Atkins back in the 2006-2008 timeframe. I've started and stopped dozens of times since then. This time I'm sticking with it longer than I have since that time frame. My weight losses have been slower than last time, but I have to remember a few truths.
1) I am older now. My doctor had to point out to me on my last visit that as we age, our metabolism slows and that I should lower my calories by 100 when I'm 40 and another 100 when I'm 50. I don't know if I agree with her, but it might be something I have to face some day....:(
2) I am more sedentary now. Back then I was working out of the home on a large college campus. I work at home today. Just that alone meant that I was moving around more than I do now.
3) I am on birth control now, which is known to interfere with carbohydrate metabolism. There are many other reasons I want to stay on this particular method that is more important for me (treatment of PMDD) than quick weight loss.
4) I probably have messed up my metabolism with all the starting and stopping and switching from low-carb to high carb over the last 8 years. It is likely to take a longer time for my body to really, fully adapt to burning ketones.
5) Cheating only prolongs my adaptation and gives me an excuse to fall off the lifestyle and begin the yo-yo process again. I have to stay on plan, or get right back on plan after a cheat instead of throwing in the towel only to try again in 6 months....
6) Track my weightloss in a graph. That way I can see an overall downward trend when my weight goes up and down from day to day and week to week. I have to remember that although the losses might not be as consistently down as it was before, I am losing over time and I have to give it time

Hope this helps.

Bonny-Jean 09-29-2013 08:13 AM

I get that age is a factor as well as slowing down in activity but I swear there was something in "the Pill" that was keeping my weight the same. I've eaten the same way all my life and I never started gaining weight till I was almost 40 and went off the pill. My doctor just rolls his eyes when I tell him the pill had something to do with this gain. I weighed in this morning to an 8 lb loss so I guess that's not terrible for 13 days. I guess the whole science to this is to STAY WITH IT!!! Don't give up and don't cheat. Thanks for your input and all the best with your own journey. :up:

Energy22 09-30-2013 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean (Post 16623183)
I get that age is a factor as well as slowing down in activity but I swear there was something in "the Pill" that was keeping my weight the same. I've eaten the same way all my life and I never started gaining weight till I was almost 40 and went off the pill. My doctor just rolls his eyes when I tell him the pill had something to do with this gain. I weighed in this morning to an 8 lb loss so I guess that's not terrible for 13 days. I guess the whole science to this is to STAY WITH IT!!! Don't give up and don't cheat. Thanks for your input and all the best with your own journey. :up:

I'm not a doctor, but I wonder if you may be right about the pill and weight issue. The pill has hormones, right? You may be in perimenopause, which could have started your weight gain when you went off the pill because it was offsetting the hormone loss. It's a theory. Good thing you're doing something about the weight now, if you wait until you're in menopause it will only be harder. Congrats on your weight loss!

Bonny-Jean 09-30-2013 06:59 AM

Thanks for your reply Energy22. I'm 53 and have been in menopause for 5 yrs. I have absolutely zero symptoms. Thank God!! I had my hormones tested and thought maybe my estrogen was low but no, all numbers are very good and despite 80 lbs overweight, I am stangely healthy. Go figure?? Today, day 14, my scale says 9 lbs lost so I'm just gonna go at this as best as I can and try not to sweat the small stuff. Exercise program starts today. Your stats show you're doing very well. Best of luck my girl and God bless you on your journey.

margn 10-01-2013 12:48 PM

You are doing GREAT!! Just think 2 weeks ago you 5 lbs heavier. You should be proud. We are older now, less active and our bodies do not respond as in earlier years to change. I lose slow also. I am just happy the scale is finally going down. I take medicine which makes it hard to lose. But Atkins has allowed me to take control and lose. I agree it is a long hard battle, but we did not gain this over night and we cannot expect to lose it in a day either. I am actully enjoying the ride. For the first time I am in control. I record everything and this makes me accountable for any mishaps.

cfine 10-03-2013 11:29 AM

Bonny-Jean, are you eating some fat with your meals? Too few calories is not a good thing.

Bonny-Jean 10-03-2013 06:59 PM

Hi CFINE

Yeah, I think I'm eating enough fat... maybe too much protein? How do you eat meat without getting to much protein??? Can't figure that one out.
Morning: 2 c coffee with Splenda and 3% milk but I'll go back to heavy cream
B: 2-3 eggs, 5-6 strips bacon
S: 1 string cheese
L: 1 c. lettuce, red onion, 2 tbsp Ranch
D: back ribs or a pork steak or chicken thighs, or some kind of seafood, etc.
S: 4 or 5 tbsp whipped cream or another string cheese.

I think I'm doing this right?? Some days my belly feels like it's going down and then others it looks puffy again so I don't know?

Down 10 lbs in 17 days so I'm not too unhappy.:hiya:

cfine 10-05-2013 07:25 PM

Eating more fatty meats will help to keep the protein moderate and the fat high. I don't eat as much chicken as I used to because it's so high in protein. Nice fatty steaks, hamburgers, and roasts are my go to foods with chicken thrown in to combat boredom. I also love fish which is not quite as high in protein as chicken. I started using a tracker so tat I don't o over my protein terms for the day. I try to stay at or under 100 grams per day. This is why a lot of calories must come from fat.