Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/148/105
WOE: Ketogenic (high fat,low carb)
Start Date: April 4th, 2014
Ketosis??

How long did it take you all to get into Ketosis once you started Induction?? After three days I tend to give up because the scale doesn't move. Sigh I know it can take up to a week correct????

Sorry I keep psychologically stalling myself and I need to just give this a week!!!
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
After three days? Really? I think you should stop using the scale as your only measure of success and stay off of it for at least the first two weeks of induction. Just weigh yourself on day one, and not again until day 15.

Stop giving yourself a reason to quit.

It takes me about three days to get into ketosis. But that doesn't mean I start losing that quickly.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/148/105
WOE: Ketogenic (high fat,low carb)
Start Date: April 4th, 2014
your right. I'm too scale happy!!!!

Just get anxious to hit ketosis so the scale can start dropping!!!!
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Peta
Hi,
I have been doing induction too and it has been slow going with losing the weight. However I have discovered there can be a significant association with elevated stress hormones stopping or slowing the weight loss. I have read the book The Gabriel Method and found it has helped tremendously. Hope this helps :-)
Peta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpunkiMama
Stats: 175.5/174.5/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/11/2013
I agree with the above poster, there shouldnt be a timelines on when you will hit ketosis or when you will lose...those shouldnt be factors in your success.

Focus on eating appropriately, exercising regularly, and in time your body will catch up to your efforts.

Everyone will lose differently, I have been on induction now over 2 weeks, and am still juggling the same #'s I have for the past 2 yrs.. I am not giving up, i keep tweeking things to see where the problem is.

My advice is Make sure your high fat to low protein ratio's are on track, and you should hit ketosis (probably not over night)... I was in ketosis for a while, i upped my protein and it bumped me right out of ketosis..

Low protein, high fat, low carb... That should kick you into ketosis...

Keep at it, stop making time lines on your success, and just give your 110% the rest will follow!!
SpunkiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jdmakeit2hot
Stats: 195/189/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/23/2013
I started atkins again on 9/23 and have gone from 195.8 to 189.4. Thats only in 4 day. Anyways the loss could have been due to the fact that I cut out soda, drank less coffee and change it to 1/2 caff,cut back eating a little, then on 9/25 I went full induction (that's when I was paid). I checked my pee stick today and only had a small , maybe medium amount. Maybe you need to exercise more?
jdmakeit2hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /148 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpunkiMama View Post
I agree with the above poster, there shouldnt be a timelines on when you will hit ketosis or when you will lose...those shouldnt be factors in your success.

Focus on eating appropriately, exercising regularly, and in time your body will catch up to your efforts.

Everyone will lose differently, I have been on induction now over 2 weeks, and am still juggling the same #'s I have for the past 2 yrs.. I am not giving up, i keep tweeking things to see where the problem is.

My advice is Make sure your high fat to low protein ratio's are on track, and you should hit ketosis (probably not over night)... I was in ketosis for a while, i upped my protein and it bumped me right out of ketosis..

Low protein, high fat, low carb... That should kick you into ketosis...

Keep at it, stop making time lines on your success, and just give your 110% the rest will follow!!
Hi,
What does that mean "low protein"??
Bonny-Jean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

How do you know if and when you're in Ketosis?? I heard the Keto Stix aren't reliable so would a blood test be more accurate??
Old 09-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cb83
Stats: 302/262.6/245
WOE: Induction my way
Start Date: 3.13.13
Most popular macros to get to ketosis are 65/30/5 fat/protein/carbs. Moderate is a better word probably for protein intake. You want enough to maintain your muscles. There's calculators floating around to plug in your daily caloric intake etc to figure out grams of each. But everyone will give you different opinions so you need to find what works for you the best. Too much protein stalls me but it's probably just the excess calories.

I've never got beyond trace in keto stix. Metallic taste in mouth or stinky pee are easiest.
cb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:38 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Most people do not need to keep their protein low. Moderate protein is usually just fine. You need a certain amount of protein to keep your muscles nourished and your body working, and that amount is individual to your body composition. I base my protein goals on my lean body mass (LBM). Others may start off with an average and may increase or decrease it as they see fit.

I don't find percentages to be at all helpful, as they change when caloric intake changes.

I prefer to go by hard numbers, so I always keep my total carbs below 20g, and my protein goal is about 120g. My fat varies as my meals and calories vary. As you can see, if I ate 1300 calories with those carb and protein intakes, the percentages would look different than if I ate the same but with 2000 calories. It's 58/37/5 with 1300 calories vs. 75/24/1 with 2000 calories.

Now, because I don't happen to count calories, only carbs and proteins, what good would it do to try to move each macro up or down each day? Since absolute values are what matter in my experience, it wouldn't.

And yes, there are blood ketone tests. I use them sporadically, more for curiosity, because I know what I can and should eat to stay in ketosis. Ketostix are notoriously inaccurate, but more for giving false negatives than false positives.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Okay Ntombi, I'm confused. I didn't think we had to worry about numbers on Atkins, except to keep carbs under 20 while in induction? The more I read, the more confused I'm getting. Are we not allowed to eat as much protein as we are comfortable eating?? After 13 days there's no signs of ketosis??
Old 09-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Energy22
Stats: 191.5/176.5/127
WOE: Low Carb/Moderate Protein/High Fat
Start Date: 8/25/13
Too much protein can stall weight loss. There is a minimum requirement range each individual needs based on their height and muscle mass. Going over that amount will cause your body to handle the excess as carbs.

Find your requirement range, keep net carbs at no more than 20, and use fat to keep you feeling full.

Atkins is not a protein-fest, contrary to popular belief.

Last edited by Energy22; 09-29-2013 at 10:55 AM..
Energy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I understand what you are saying, and agree, but beeg is asking about induction. My thought is that the most important thing is to keep carbs down, and if hungry to eat noncarbs -- fats and protein. There is time for sorting relative amounts of protein and fat later.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

You need lots if good fats. Energy is talking about your resting metabolic rate or whatever. That's the number of calories to sustain your body without exercise. Find that and go down to what you think you can handle. Mine is around 3500, I'm usually around 2-2800 calories per day but I'm too high. Just do some research it's less confusing the more you do.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BringOnTheLard
Stats: 240/179/150
WOE: Ketogenic / VLCVHF
Start Date: Early Aug 2013
Ketostix are very helpful for first starting low carb. They aren't accurate once you have been in ketosis for a very long time, often folks become adapted and no longer "spill" ketones in their urine so they need the blood test to know if they are still in ketosis (but then doesn't much matter anyway). So, use Ketostix.

The body needs a certain amount of protein to serve it's basic needs. More protein than necessary and your body will convert it to glucose, the same stuff that raises insulin levels and stalls weight when eating carbs. So finding your level can be difficult. I stick with under 20% but I'm very sedentary as I work and play in front of my computer.

I don't bother with veggies, I prefer to get my carbs for the day via dairy; heavy cream and some high fat cheeses. Plus there is a bit in eggs that I have every day. The main nutrition you need is included in the animal sources you eat. There is amazing nutrition in these foods. Veggies can help with digestion for folks starting out, and may have some trace nutrients that are helpful as well but don't see them as vital to your health, they aren't.

I'm in very high ketosis every day, not needed but actually easier for me than forcing veggies that I don't feel a need for. I have a very poor appetite so save it for the foods I need to eat.

You are misunderstanding this diet, the way so many do, by thinking it's high protein. It's not, it's actually high fat. Whenever I stall a bit, I have a day or two of fat fasting. Take the protein down to almost nothing, drink some local raw organic heavy cream, a couple of pieces of high fat cheese, a few tablespoons of butter I make myself from the same cream, and a few tablespoons of coconut oil. All the coffee I want, with just heavy cream. But that's pretty extreme and not sure a beginner can handle that. However it gets the scale moving down again quickly.
BringOnTheLard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you everyone. So if I'm understand "BringOnTheLard", I should be cutting down on my meat and increasing "fat" from other allowed foods? Most of the "allowable" meats had almost the same amounts of protein and fat in them?? I'm not a stupid person and thought I had this figured out but apparently I did not! I'll try that. Again, thank you all. Your experience and wisdom is tantamount.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Okay, look. You're very new in the process, so I wouldn't worry so much about anything except eating only foods on the induction foods list, keeping your carbs below 20g per day, and not overeating. For a lot of people, following Atkins that way works just fine.

If you don't find that your appetite hasn't changed by at least a bit (or you can't tell because you don't have a working hunger switch), you might have to start consciously moderating your protein intake. Many of us don't have to, because we naturally need less once ketosis has kicked in, but that's not the case for everyone. It's not a matter of better or worse, just how our body is. If it turns out your body won't tell you to slow down or stop, you'll put the brakes on yourself.

Too much protein can hinder ketosis, but there's no hard and fast number as to how much is "too much." Like I said, I wouldn't worry about that just yet.

The only reason I even talked about it in your thread was because SpunkiMama and cb83 brought it up, and I wanted to address some things that were said. I honestly think it's too soon for you to worry about any of that. IMO, right now, your goal should be to follow induction to the letter for two weeks.

Last edited by Ntombi; 09-29-2013 at 01:50 PM..
Old 09-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

You're right. I'm not going to obsess over this any more today. Had a horrible day. Very discouraged but you've made me feel better. I'll just have to watch my portions and what cuts of meat I'm eating. I can do that. I don't know if you saw my daily intake on the "Induction" site but I don't think I'm eating too much.
btw: I love your little furkid, Buddy. He's precious.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Thank you! He's my sweet boy.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

And drank lots if water! Yeah eat up for now. I'm months in and never lost appetite at all. Different for everyone. Good luck!
Old 10-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

CB

Hi CB,
Can you give me some examples of foods high in fat and moderate protein??? I'm researching the meats on the plan and most have close to equal the fat and protein. Like where do you get the fat without the protein?? I made some whipped cream last night and had 4 tbsp for a little snack after a supper of a few baby back ribs (steak spices only). Also, I guess cheese strings aren't okay as they're processed, right???
Thanks.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

What I eat most: protein/fat g
1 can/4 oz tuna w/ 2 tbsp mayo 20/22
1 large chicken thigh 20/12
1 egg!!! 6/5
4 oz 80/20 beef 20/22
1/2 avocado 2/15! I eat 1/2 almost every day
1 tbsp hwc 5g fat
1 tbsp butter 11g fat
1 tbsp coco oil 14g fat
1 tbsp evoo 14g fat
2 tbsp ranch 1/14
1 tbsp mayo 10g fat
14 pepperoni slice 5/13
3 slices bacon 6/7

Of course last few are high in sodium. It's easy to add any of the fats on top of any meats. I been throw evoo in my tuna salad sometimes. I only have the high sodium ones occasionaly. Lots of tuna lately but chicken is a favorite. Full fat diced up on salad, mixed in eggs, straight up cold, or with veggies. My bulletproof coffee kick starts my fat intake every morning.

Last edited by cb83; 10-02-2013 at 07:53 PM..