Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: connielynn
WOE: atkins
Start Date: July 04
Obsessed with the Scale

OK, so here is my issue... I am starting Atkins Induction again after taking a few years off. Last time I lost 17 pounds in the first three weeks. I have now been doing induction for 6 1/2 weeks, and I have lost a total of 5 to 9 pounds depending upon what day, or moment I weigh. (very discouraging!) So, I have become obsessed with that darn scale because I don't want to miss the moment that actually might show a loss. I have been weighing several times a day trying to catch the low. Sometimes it looks like I have lost 9 pounds, and then the next minute, (Really it goes by the minute sometimes.), the scale is up 3 or 4 pounds. How can that be? The scale seems to be working fine. I don't get it. What is going on? I am getting very upset with this, but am determined to make it work, and have not been cheating, and am in ketosis. My sister was successful, and lost 60 pounds on Atkins, and has looked over my menu. She says the food on my menu is fine, but I am not eating enough, or am starving myself. Could this be causing the issue with the scale, or the lack of weight loss? Should I just be happy with the 5 to 9 pounds in 6 weeks? Has this happened to anyone else? Can anyone help me feel better about this?
connielynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2013, 04:20 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Put the scale away. It's not helping you one bit right now. Get it out of the house, have someone hide it, totally ignore it. Hang a pair of pants up on the outside of your closet that you'd like to be able to wear (if you have some) and go from there, that is your new scale.

Now, I'll admit that I'm a daily weigher, and occasionally it drives me crazy, but if I ever get obsessed, it's outta here.

You CAN do this without the scale.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 160orbust
Stats: 234/184/160
I agree with AnnetteW, at 6 weeks in you're using the scale for the wrong reason, so put it away. Everyone loses weigh differently and things like water and fat intake can make or break an actual loss.

Use the scale to gauge what foods help or hinder you when you start climbing the carb ladder but use a tape measure or a smaller pair of jeans to measure your success for now.
160orbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:36 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Don't forget to Measure too! A Lot of times when my scale won't budge i'm still losing inches. So measuring helps to see progress too. I weigh everyday. But Only first thing in the morning after the bathroom and in my skivies! Lol
princessmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
If you are getting on the scale throughout the day, your weight is going to be different each time because of several factors. Like Princessmommy mentioned, first thing in the morning is better. If you are eating what you are supposed to and eating how you are supposed to, the weight will eventually come off. I'm a 38 yr old woman with a decent metabolism who exercises everyday and I still lose slow. I only lost 2 lbs in July. But I was still 2 lbs closer to goal. No diet will be successful if you can't get your head in the game. Be more determined than that number on the scale. Celebrate every success and power through every stall or gain. You've got this!
BulldogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: connielynn
WOE: atkins
Start Date: July 04
Obsessed with the scale -thank you!

Thank you all for responding to my dilemma. This morning the scale was down another two pounds so that makes 11 total in 6 1/2 weeks. I will try to put that scale away, but it is like I am addicted to it now instead of food. Lol. Yes, my clothes are much looser, and I can feel a weight loss, so I know something is happening. I love the advice to get my head in the game. I am truly determined to make this work for my health, my life, my children, and my happiness.
Thanks guys. I'll keep plugging along.
connielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/200.5/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 3, 2013
You will always weigh more later in the day. You're weighing all the food you've eaten and everything you drank.

I generally weigh 3 lbs more at night than I did in the morning.

If you must weigh every day (like me) - pick a consistent time and only weigh then. I agree AM is best after your morning constitutional and before your shower.
Kaillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SkinnyB212
Stats: 5'5 200/*140*/125
WOE: Atkins, South Beach, Smoothie
Start Date: August 1, 2013!
I know how you feel. I now will only weigh in the morning on an empty stomach or I get discouraged.
SkinnyB212 is offline   Reply With Quote