Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   Induction Babies #2 (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/812370-induction-babies-2-a.html)

Kathy 09-16-2013 09:05 AM

Induction Babies #2

The original thread, Induction Babies, has been closed due to its size. Please continue your discussion here.

cmcd1070 09-16-2013 11:10 AM

Wow, Laura, you look so great in your new picture! You're doing so great!! =)

Trillex - your new place sounds SO lovely <3 I am envious! I would love a hilly 5 mile path so close to home and along a river to boot! Yay! You're so close to your goal weight. I'm thinking you have reached it. You rarely lose less than 6lbs in a month.

All the flooding in CO has been on the news, so I'm sure you all know. Living in downtown Denver, we are fine. But all the open space where we hike got wiped off the map. No more hiking this year. Very bummed. I hate the gym =( But it looks like for the forseeable future, that is my only option.

I guess this is an "opportunity for growth" for me KeepingAwake!

SpunkiMama 09-16-2013 11:58 AM

I am new to this forum (website) however I plan to be very active and hopefully some of you will get to know me :)

My intro is posted!!

I am an induction baby!!
Day 1 began 9/11/13

edited: to correct a spelling error lol

martha 09-16-2013 02:24 PM

I just thought I'd update on the transition to maintenance, which is actually still somewhat relevant to the whole Induction focus here. I have been interested in making Intermittent Fasting part of my maintenance plan, thinking that it might enable me to stop tracking and counting every bite at some point in the future (though my first attempt at not counting made me anxious and miserable!) So when I got within three to five pounds of my goal weight I deliberately slowed down my rate of loss (HARD to do on purpose! so wanted to get there!). At the same time, I started adding in carbs as per the New Atkins instructions and have stabilized for right now at an average of about 30 net per day. I don't have any interest in grains at this point, but I do eat a little bit in the legumes department from time to time. And I'm eating in an 8-hour window, skipping breakfast and eating my first meal somewhere between 1 and 3 and my other meal between 8 and 10. I snack if I want to. After a couple weeks of this (with weight loss slowed to about a half or a third pound a week), I decided to try a 24-hour fast, for the brain benefits. It was surprisingly easy. Very easy. I ate a big meal at the end of it (at my usual supper time) but kept the total carbs low -- way down in **induction** range. And then the next day went right back to my daily routine. I don't think I'm going to let myself lose more than another pound, so I will be upping my intake to make sure the weight stabilizes. Shifting focus from weight loss goals to fitness and strength and dance. Hoping that limiting the window for eating most days and throwing in an occasional 24-hour fast/induction-level day will keep my metabolism cranking along in a healthy way with a little less vigilance and considerably more relaxed record-keeping.

Best to all. I'm proof to any new people that it works, and I haven't been as strict as some. (Though I was not yet at the point of diabetes or severely damaged metabolism.) I'm 58, overweight for a good ten or fifteen years, couldn't zip my size 12 suit six months ago, and now I can put on size 6 pants and no muffin top. Wow.

Big Stevie 09-16-2013 02:32 PM

Keepingawake- the 1 minute muffins do well in the fiber department. They taste ok, you get used to them. I actually look forward to them now.

Big Stevie 09-16-2013 02:34 PM

Very cool we made it to thread #2. This thread has been a big help. I am glad to see it so popular that it needs a part #2. Lots of great information, support, and inspiration to be had.

Big Stevie 09-16-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpunkiMama (Post 16606855)
I am new to this forum (website) however I plan to be very active and hopefully some of you will get to know me :)

My intro is posted!!

I am an induction baby!!
Day 1 began 9/11/13

edited: to correct a spelling error lol

Welcome. It is nice to have you. Stick around for awhile. It will be nice to know you. How is it going so far? Are you staying full and drinking lots of water?

SpunkiMama 09-16-2013 04:56 PM

Thanks stevie :)

I am doing great, not feeling hungry & lots of water goin on :)

Big Stevie 09-16-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpunkiMama (Post 16607261)
Thanks stevie :)

I am doing great, not feeling hungry & lots of water goin on :)

Great. Hang in there. The first week or so is hard but it gets easier by the day and will become second nature before you know it.:cool:

LauraDavis 09-16-2013 06:57 PM

:welcome: SpunkiMama

Grateful_Love 09-16-2013 10:12 PM

Stevie, can I have the recipe for OMM's? I searched, but couldn't find one that didn't have "stuff" mixed in.

Big Stevie 09-17-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grateful_Love (Post 16607588)
Stevie, can I have the recipe for OMM's? I searched, but couldn't find one that didn't have "stuff" mixed in.

Here you go. I copied this info from another thread. (here is the link to the thread I got it from- http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...te-muffin.html)

1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 packet splenda packet
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg
1 teaspoon butter

Put the dry ingredients in a coffee mug.

Stir.

Then add the egg and the butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute (or more). Take out. slice, butter, eat.

Cream cheese would go nicely, too.

Notes: 11.1 total carbs, 8.8 fiber, for 2.3 net carbs.

The shape of this can be changed by making it in a bowl.

It can be "toasted" once it's cooked.

The cinnamon can be replaced. I would imagine that any sugar free syrup could be added.

Per serving: 235 Calories; 18g Fat (63% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 223mg Cholesterol; 284mg Sodium

I don't use the baking power. I use the splenda about half the time. I mix mine in a measuring cup and then cook them in a ramekin. I put in a little splash of water so they are a little less dense.

I didn't discover these until I was into this WOE for about 3 months. They really helped me. I eat them about 4 days a week. They keep me going for a long time.

Keepingawake 09-17-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Stevie (Post 16607068)
Keepingawake- the 1 minute muffins do well in the fiber department. They taste ok, you get used to them. I actually look forward to them now.

I made a batch on Sunday and they are GREAT -- perfect for a quick addition to breakfast! Thanks Big Stevie!

cmcd1070 09-19-2013 09:10 AM

I absolutely LOVED the OMM's, I thought they were delicious and I loved the texture, but the flax in them made me and DH sooo sick. It's a good thing we have 2 bathrooms. All I'm saying.

martha 09-19-2013 12:07 PM

Following the muffin story with great interest. Haven't tried using any low carb flours yet, unless you count almond meal for my idea of imitation Lara Bars.

Lyndalou52 09-19-2013 01:08 PM

Hi Everyone:
Well have good news to report. My dear husband- recovering from knee surgery, has lost 12 lbs. since I started on Atkins. He isn't doing it completely - just with me throwing out all his goodies and snacks and my salads everyday has helped both him and me.
I have lost 12 lbs also. Somehow being strict with myself and losing the same as him kind of bothers me a bit. He still eats potatoes and bread -- oh well. Am so happy he has done this. Of course he's home and not able to cook or go out to eat forbidden foods. Had to share with you all.

Question: I didn't think of this until now-- I am adding a lemon to my ice tea. Is this goofing me up? Never thought about it - more a habit. Will not use from now on- just feel bad if this has hindered me
Thanks
Have a great day!

Lynda

martha 09-19-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyndalou52 (Post 16611406)
Question: I didn't think of this until now-- I am adding a lemon to my ice tea. Is this goofing me up? Never thought about it - more a habit. Will not use from now on- just feel bad if this has hindered me
Thanks
Have a great day!

Lynda

There's a little carb cost to the lemon in the ice tea, but not much. I think it's discussed as part of induction in the newest book, but can't swear to it.

BigBuck16 09-20-2013 10:15 AM

Hi all...about to complete the first week of induction! woohoo

Lyndalou52 09-20-2013 10:39 AM

Martha
Thanks I won't worry so much.

Big Stevie 09-20-2013 11:41 AM

Weclome BigBuck. Stick to the plan and you will go down.

Lyndalou, I wouldn't worry about the lemon that much. But what happens is you a little carbs here and a little carbs there and suddenly they add up to a lot of carbs. So just watch yourself. Just that one thing won't cause you any problems. We all lose at different rates. The good news is your losing at a good rate.

Lyndalou52 09-22-2013 09:44 AM

Thanks Big Stevie I appreciate it. I have stalled for about 4 days-- maybe all the pork rinds???? But I tried on a pair of shorts I haven't fit in since forever - and they fit!!!!
YEAH and they are actually loose. I am so happy. I will stop the treat of pork rinds and maybe I will continue to lose. I know I weat too many anyway---so I won't even start for awhile.

martha 09-22-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Stevie (Post 16612671)
Stick to the plan and you will go down.

(and from another message) Very cool we made it to thread #2. This thread has been a big help. I am glad to see it so popular that it needs a part #2. Lots of great information, support, and inspiration to be had.

:goodpost:

Big Stevie 09-23-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyndalou52 (Post 16614629)
Thanks Big Stevie I appreciate it. I have stalled for about 4 days-- maybe all the pork rinds???? But I tried on a pair of shorts I haven't fit in since forever - and they fit!!!!
YEAH and they are actually loose. I am so happy. I will stop the treat of pork rinds and maybe I will continue to lose. I know I weat too many anyway---so I won't even start for awhile.

Well remember, the scale is only one way to measure our progress. And it probably isn't even the best. For me, it is about the clothes size. I think it is a better measure. I have been stuck for weeks at a same weight on the scale, but I was able to get into smaller clothes during that time.

Remember, we drink between 4 and 8 pounds of water each day (that is what a 1/2 gallon and full gallon of water weights) if you are drinking lots of water like you are supposed to. If you do anything to retain a little bit extra water, your scale weight can fluctuate. That is why it isn't the best to weight ever day. Give the diet some time to work, only get on the scale once a week, or like Trillex, once a month.

straphe 09-24-2013 12:40 PM

Hi guys!

As of Monday, I'm back on induction, even though our kitchen still hasn't been redone, which is a massive pain, and on top of that our oven broke! Lucky, we are.

I was ridiculously tired and jumpy today - induction flu taking it's toll, I guess. And this time around I don't have any ketostix around to check whether I'm in ketosis or not, but all the symptoms are present. I might need to get some anyway, to keep track of it. I've fried up around a pound of chicken breast for dinner, but instead of using butter, which I've grown tired of, I used coconut oil. It tasted heavenly, with just a hint of coconut taste on the chicken. I'll definitely try to incorporate more coconut oil into my daily routine.

I still haven't figured out what I'm gonna be eating at work. There's a Tesco's 5 minutes away, so I'm there every day, there's just nothing appetising and on plan that I could get. Everything has rice in it, and the salads don't appeal to me at all. That's going to take some more planning, I believe. By the way, what's the deal with cabbage? Is it induction friendly? I believe I've read somewhere that it's not exactly good to eat in induction, but want to make sure.

Onwards to tomorrow.

Jennafun 09-24-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmcd1070 (Post 16611083)
I absolutely LOVED the OMM's, I thought they were delicious and I loved the texture, but the flax in them made me and DH sooo sick. It's a good thing we have 2 bathrooms. All I'm saying.

Me too!!!

martha 09-25-2013 03:50 PM

Wondering whether the couple nights of waking up hungry had more to do with not enough protein or too many carbs? Increasing the first and backing off a little on the second to see if it straightens itself out.

Was nervous about having blood work done, but the doctor called with the results today: triglycerides 45, LDL 140, HDL 104. Vitamin D levels good, blood sugar fine. Really major validation for (for me, newest version of) Atkins approach.

Big Stevie 09-26-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martha (Post 16619096)
Wondering whether the couple nights of waking up hungry had more to do with not enough protein or too many carbs? Increasing the first and backing off a little on the second to see if it straightens itself out.

Was nervous about having blood work done, but the doctor called with the results today: triglycerides 45, LDL 140, HDL 104. Vitamin D levels good, blood sugar fine. Really major validation for (for me, newest version of) Atkins approach.

Great news from the Doctors.:jumpjoy:

As far as getting hungry at night, it happens to me for two reasons, the most common, not enough fat. Check to make sure your fat levels are up where they should be. My guess is you probably didn't need the extra protein just the fat that came with it.

Second, when I drink regular alcohol, or Atkins shakes with sugar alcohols, it makes me hungry. Look at what you were eating those days there may be a clue. I think it has to do with spikes and drops in blood sugar. I am assuming the carbs you are consuming are complex carbs from vegetables, and not something like white bread with tons of sugar that could spike your blood sugars. Things like diet drinks cause me problems as well.

martha 09-26-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Stevie (Post 16619901)
Great news from the Doctors.:jumpjoy:

As far as getting hungry at night, it happens to me for two reasons, the most common, not enough fat. Check to make sure your fat levels are up where they should be. My guess is you probably didn't need the extra protein just the fat that came with it.

Second, when I drink regular alcohol, or Atkins shakes with sugar alcohols, it makes me hungry. Look at what you were eating those days there may be a clue. I think it has to do with spikes and drops in blood sugar. I am assuming the carbs you are consuming are complex carbs from vegetables, and not something like white bread with tons of sugar that could spike your blood sugars. Things like diet drinks cause me problems as well.

Thanks, Stevie. You may be right. I usually eat a really nice dessert a couple hours before bed -- coconut butter, a square of very dark chocolate, and a half ounce of walnuts, all just gently nuked and eaten with a spoon -- and that usually helps me sleep. I fix a smaller version some days and that may be what I did. I hope you're right about the protein. I would like to think I could be a little flexible with that and let the protein drop down to lower end of my range once in a while. But I did eat most of a shortbread cookie one of those days! One of I think exactly five cookies I've eaten since Feb. 25. (Very butter-heavy shortbread.) But maybe something I just shouldn't do, even once in a while, if it's going to knock me out of my very comfortable balanced place here...

Big Stevie 09-26-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martha (Post 16619926)
Thanks, Stevie. But I did eat most of a shortbread cookie one of those days! One of I think exactly five cookies I've eaten since Feb. 25. (Very butter-heavy shortbread.) But maybe something I just shouldn't do, even once in a while, if it's going to knock me out of my very comfortable balanced place here...

The real secret to long term success is that we learn how foods affect our own bodies and minds, remember everyone is different. Then when we get it figured out we can avoid those foods that make us feel bad. After being on this journey over a year now, I think I have most of the foods figured out for myself. Now, I just need to make sure I do the avoiding part right. For whatever reason, I begin to think I'm invincible which leads me to get careless and then it comes back to bite in the butt. Thank God the periods of time between these careless acts is getting longer and longer. :cool:

straphe 09-27-2013 12:04 AM

Day five of the restart, I'm down three pounds and the induction flu seems to be going away, although I'm still hungry all the time. Like all the time. I've just had a one minute muffin, wasn't as good as I hoped it to be, but gotta keep trying, I guess. Stevie, how do you make yours?