Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
What I mean is, my weight loss was pretty substantial and hers has been going in the other direction, and I think we were both self conscious about it. She had a rotten year, too, losing her job and her dad. So not the best time for her and weight has always been a sensitive topic.
martha is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #212
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/159.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Tril, I grew up with a step dad like that too. His nicknames for me as a kid were Thunder Thighs and Lard A**. When I was 14 he told me that he was so tired of looking at my fat a** that he was going to have my jaws wired shut so that I would quit eating. I don't know why some people are so horrible, especially to kids. As you can imagine, as an adult, I really had no desire to have much of a relationship with him. Then about a year before he died, I realized that he was just a sad, lonely old man. His own fault of course, but still. We had a somewhat better relationship that last year of his life, but he was still not above making rude and inappropriate comments about my weight, and other peoples as well. It's like he just truly didn't even realize how awful the things were that he was saying. He just didn't get it for some reason.

Started Induction 2/22/13 at 300.6
Mini Goals ~
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It!!
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #213
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kempmuhlbauer
Stats: 267/229.2/190
WOE: 2-5 carbs per day
Start Date: 10/21/13
It is amazing how people, even family can be so cruel. I was always in shape till after college football. Then ballooned and have fought my weight ever since. I am a very fun loving person and have let the comments roll of my back, but they do sting deep inside. So for the last 20 years I have been called buoy and fat boy or FA short for fat ass. Even when I have lost the weight the names still stick. Oh well, I am a better person now and love life. Glad we all have each other and can support when we need it.

"STAY HEALTHY MY FRIENDS"

GOALS:
1. Keep on plan
2. Stay on plan
3. Work out
4. Run a 1/2 marathon on Jan. 19th!!!
kempmuhlbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #214
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /171 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
Mthergoos and Kemp... I'm so sorry to hear of your sad experiences.
So hurtful and mean. Karma's a b**ch and it'll get them one day. You are better people for it, very loving and caring. Blessed to call you my friends.
Bonny-Jean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #215
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks BonnieJean! (((HUGS))) I'm thankful for you as a friend too.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #216
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Bonny-jean!!! HUGS
Old 12-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #217
Major LCF Poster!

Aaahhhh, thanks you guys. Meant every word. You're the best.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #218
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avaleigh
Stats: 252/190/160
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
Tril, I grew up with a step dad like that too. His nicknames for me as a kid were Thunder Thighs and Lard A**. When I was 14 he told me that he was so tired of looking at my fat a** that he was going to have my jaws wired shut so that I would quit eating. I don't know why some people are so horrible, especially to kids. As you can imagine, as an adult, I really had no desire to have much of a relationship with him. Then about a year before he died, I realized that he was just a sad, lonely old man. His own fault of course, but still. We had a somewhat better relationship that last year of his life, but he was still not above making rude and inappropriate comments about my weight, and other peoples as well. It's like he just truly didn't even realize how awful the things were that he was saying. He just didn't get it for some reason.
Your step dad was an A** to you growing up, and I know exactly what that is like. I am so sorry you even had to deal with that. My mom has always, still is, and will forever be critical over how I look, and my life choices ect.

One thing that sticks out in my mind is when I brought home my 2nd grade school pictures to my mom. She had been drinking, which wasn't unusual for her, and when I gave them to her she laughed at them. She told me how fat I looked. She even told me she could count the rolls on my stomach. Not only did she rag on my weight, she told me how ugly I looked, that she wished I had blue eyes like my brother and sisters and instead of green, and my hair was a mess and too dark. That was the first day I truly felt like s**t as a human being. I think I was 7 years old. It only got worse from then on out for me. I developed self esteem issues, and a binge eating habit. My mom is such a vain person. She always has been, and she will be until the day she dies. She has always praised my sisters over their figures and great looks, and is so proud of them for being trophy wives to husbands with lots of cash. I don't hang out with my family. Just not the type of people I want to be around.
Avaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #219
Senior LCF Member

Also just an fyi- If I ever talk about my mom is a great way or jokingly, I'm referring to my mother-in-law. She loves me like her own, and I her. My mom-mom has her good days sometimes too, mostly on holidays.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #220
Major LCF Poster!

Ava, oh my dear girl, I am so sorry to hear that. She should have not done that to you. My heart breaks for what you suffered as an innocent little girl. You sound like you have overcome that incredible cruelty and I wish you the blessing of healing and inner strength.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #221
Senior LCF Member

I've got you guys Bonny! Yall are all the strength I could ever ask for!
Old 12-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #222
Major LCF Poster!

Old 12-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #223
Major LCF Poster!

Ava, Bonny is right, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Isn't it odd how the people that should love us the most are sometimes the worst to us? But, in the end, I think it just makes us stronger, better people for it, because we've come out on the other side. (((HUGS))) to you and I'm so glad that we're all here for each other!
Old 12-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #224
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/136/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
yep, my dad was hard on me, too. I started my first diet when i was about 11 or 12. I was pudgy. I wore dress sizes called "Chubby." I drank Sego protein drinks for lunch (blech). I didn't get thinner, though, I just got fatter. I lost a lot of weight in 9th grade and in 11th grade....so much in 11th grade that, looking back on it, i was bulemic. I would cut an apple in 8 or 10 pieces and eat that over the course of the day.
I have to say that those two times I was a thin teenager, it was great. I know that my dad wanted me to be more popular and date, and, while I was always pretty popular, i never was asked out on dates when I was fat. So, yes, he was right -- he wanted me to be happier -- and i WAS happier when i was thinner -- if only he had figured out a better way to motivate me.

First started Atkins April 1, 2002.
Lost 40 pounds back then and maintained for almost 8 years...then carb creep crept. I've always been low carb, but went hard core again in March 2012.
Hey! You don't have to drink all that water!
DairyQueen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #225
Senior LCF Member

I think the experiences we had with our parents just helps us to make better decisions on how to interact with people we love and care about.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #226
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Wow! I'm truly sorry for raising a sensitive and painful issue. I honestly had no idea this type of confrontational criticism was as common as it seems to be. I mentioned it because I thought it was so UNCOMMON that it didn't feel real to me. I'd never before in my life seen anything like that! It was HORRIBLE!

I mean, everyone in the neighborhood knows this guy is a total jackhole. But my friend and I have known each other our whole lives and this is the first time I've seen her father belittle her in this particular way. He definitely never said anything to me about my weight problem before this incident. Seriously, my mother would have keyed his car if he had ever crossed that line. This same guy, my friend's dad, once called one of my brothers a "half-breed," because we're half Puerto Rican, so my mom chopped down ALL of the hedges in his front yard. In broad daylight. With a hacksaw. My mom was crazy! But nobody ever picked on us when we were kids.

I think Martha's right. I'm clearly no expert in this area. But these comments seem, to me, to reflect deep concerns within the person who is saying them rather than truly being about the person to whom the comments are made.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempmuhlbauer View Post
I am a very fun loving person and have let the comments roll of my back, but they do sting deep inside. So for the last 20 years I have been called buoy and fat boy or FA short for fat ass. Even when I have lost the weight the names still stick.
You have truly given me something important to think about, Kemp. My brothers, my cousins, my close friends, and I all call this guy that we grew up with by his nickname, "Fat Mike." There are a bunch of guys named Mike in our social circle and they all have nicknames, so we can distinguish between them. "Fat Mike" was extremely obese when we were kids. But we all LOVE him! He's a fantastic guy! And he introduces himself to new people as "Fat Mike." So I guess I've never really thought about the emotional implications of constantly calling him a negative name.

Fat Mike got into bodybuilding when he was a teenager -- like most of the guys in our social circle -- so he hasn't been above 10% bodyfat since he was about 15 years old. But his whole family, except him, has obesity-related chronic health problems. His dad was extremely obese and died quite young from diabetic complications. His mother is also diabetic and she has been housebound for years due to her size and mobility issues. Fat Mike's sister, who is also diabetic, has to wear special equipment when she sleeps just to keep her from dying, and she's only in her 20s but she's very close to being housebound due to her size and limited mobility.

Knowing him and his family as well as I do, means I understand that he eats the way he eats and trains the way he trains out of fear of actually being "Fat Mike" but I hadn't considered that *affectionately* calling him a derogatory name might be cruel. I feel quite ignorant for never thinking about this before. I guess I just thought that, because he's so clearly *not* at all overweight, it's ironic so it's *okay*.

Now that I think about it, though, I think there might be some underlying issues that we're contributing to when we label him "Fat Mike." For example, Fat Mike is one of the few hardcore bodybuilders in our social circle who NEVER competes. He's super jacked and he keeps his bodyfat consistently low, so everybody wonders why he has never gone to competition. Even the really successful physique competitors we know say that Fat Mike has better competitive markers than the guys they compete against. But maybe he holds back because he *feels* like he's still "Fat Mike" because we ALL constantly call him "Fat Mike." I've always just assumed that competition wasn't his *thing* but maybe there are other reasons.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #228
Major LCF Poster!

Maybe it's time for "Fab Mike" or better yet, just Mike. Go to the last name if you've got too many Mikes in one room. I'm sure there's many sad stories of name calling and such from childhood. As kids we are not expected to think like adults and unfortunately sometimes cruelty comes with being a kid.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #229
Major LCF Poster!

Tril, I LOVE your mom!
Old 12-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #230
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
It seems that nobody gets through life unscathed. In spite of it we push on! Glad to be doing it at lighter weight today. This place is great. I love this thread. It helps keep me focused.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #231
Major LCF Poster!

I was just texting one of my brothers about Christmas and I remembered last year, when it *felt* like my diet was such HUGE deal. And I've just realized that I don't feel that way this year. Food is *so* not a big part of my plans right now. I was making low-carb cheesecakes and low-carb macaroons last year. And I was thinking about which food *treats* I would have on Christmas Day. I really don't feel like bothering with that this year. It's honestly just food. This is probably the first time in my life when I'm genuinely more excited about presents than I am about a meal.

I think that actually makes me *more shallow* than I was! HaHa!
Old 12-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #232
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/137/120
WOE: Low-carb IF/JUDDD Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
You are my hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
I am now getting the "you look so good, you can surely have some of this stuff now can't you" line.
__________________________________________________ ____
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
Why do people say that?! It makes NO sense to me. Seriously, if it wasn't good for me when I was 235 pounds then why would it be good for me now? I honestly don't understand the logic behind thinking that food doesn't matter because it's clear, from the results of my physical change, that food DOES matter.
...My colleagues say things like, "So you're never going to have another french fry?" For some reason, despite knowing me when I was very heavy and clearly unhealthy, they see not eating french fries as a *sacrifice*. But giving up that garbage is what saved my life. Why would I risk everything I've gained for french fries? Why would I want to eat even ONE french fry at this point? How would the *flavor* of ANYTHING make my life better? I don't want to rant, but do you know what has made my life better? NOT eating freakin' french fries!
__________________________________________________ ________

I'm quoting this on Facebook.
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #233
Major LCF Poster!

Trillex: Every time I read your post about your food ideas, it give me strength. I am going to grand cayman for two weeks on Dec. 30. I am actually considering not doing any bad foods at all. No meat pies, no rum cake, no cokes just keep on plan, keep working out and training for my marathon and scuba diving every morning for two weeks.(except beer!!!!!) That is my goal, I will have only been on plan for about 70 days but who knows. When three weeks ago all I could think about was when I went to cayman all the great food I would eat, see list above!!! LOL I see that you have done it and the logic behind it makes perfect sense. I mean perfect sense. Thanks. No promises but I think I may try.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #234
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kempmuhlbauer View Post
I am going to grand cayman for two weeks on Dec. 30. ....... and scuba diving every morning for two weeks..
Oh man, please take me with you. I haven't been in a long time, but man did I do some great diving there in the past. Caymans and Cozumel are my two favorite dive sites. It is time for me to get back into diving. Have a great time.

You can stay on plan down there. Just do a little planning. Take stuff you can eat while on the boat. Just eat seafood and vegetables at all your meals. If you are staying at a resort, buffet breakfast usually has plenty of stuff on plan.

Take some pictures underwater so we can see all the cool stuff. Have a great time.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:06 AM   #235
Major LCF Poster!

Big Stevie: Thanks man, will do. We have a condo right on 7 mile beach, so we have a full kitchen and we cook for ourselves the whole time. Maybe eat out a few times. I do not know how many carbs are in Caybrew, but honestly don't care I love they way they taste, plus mich ultra is 60 bucks a case!!!! So Caybrew it will be. So I can get plenty of lc options for the house. Love it there and cannot wait to get there!!!!! Will eat a bacon sandwich wrapped in lettuce just for you.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #236
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shantony
Stats: 243/228/150 (5' 2")
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: Dec. 9, 2013
Hi Everyone. I am starting induction tomorrow.
Shantony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:05 AM   #237
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Shay.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #238
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/137/120
WOE: Low-carb IF/JUDDD Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
I was on induction and I stalled the first week - actually the very day I went onto OWL. But that's because I'm a yoyo dieter, unlike last time(s) I am now in menopause, and I'm a bit older than last time as well.

So I went right back to induction level of carbs (<15) and threw in JUDDD for good measure. Voila! The weight started coming off again. I think I'll stay in induction for a while until I am firmly in ketosis.

I ordered a blood ketone monitor and it should be here soon so I will know for sure. The urine ketosticks never show more than trace even when I was on ******* (<10 carbs a day).

185/137/120 ~ 5'2"
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #239
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: changingmylife
Stats: 186/179/165
Start Date: 12/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantony View Post
Hi Everyone. I am starting induction tomorrow.
How is your first day going? Drinking plenty of water?
changingmylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #240
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Shantony
Stats: 243/228/150 (5' 2")
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Start Date: Dec. 9, 2013
I'm doing good so far but I have not been drinking water. I'll have to be mindful of that.

I think I'm running on glycogen. By Sat or Sunday I may be trying to suck the sugar outta my boot.
Shantony is offline   Reply With Quote