Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margn
Stats: 186.8/153.4/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 29,2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny-Jean View Post
Does anyone know why (besides aging) Atkins takes longer the more times you do it?? I was so successful years ago and now it's a snails pace.
Bonny:
If you start it and stick with it, you don't ever have to worry about gaining all the weight back. Make it a lifestyle change and not a temporary fix. Trust me, you will never have to diet again.

And yes, the older we get the harder it is for use to lose weight, our metabolism slows and our bodies react differenly to weight lose than it did prior.
margn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #152
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: VegasMom
Stats: 231/226/140
Start Date: November 2013
Wow!! Trillex, your story is amazing! My start weight and goals are almost identical to yours, and it is so inspirational to see someone who has done it! Congratulations, and you're so right yo realize that goal weight is not truly a "finish line!" Sounds like you have what it takes to keep it off for good. I really needed that boost today, so thank you.
VegasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Working on the maintenance diet, too, and eating teensy weensy amounts of steel cut oats, black beans, and sweet potatoes, all mixed with good oils and lots of spices and served up next to real protein! So it goes well.
Hey, Martha!

We are SO on the same page! I just make sure the fridge is stocked with good, basic protein sources and I'm set, no matter how busy I am. The fridge drawer is stocked with foil packs of tuna. The freezer has ziploc bags of frozen fish and bags of frozen veggies. So I can come home -- exhausted -- and throw something together faster than it would take to order a pizza. Eating a healthy meal feels *easy* because it's so quick and simple.

I'm incredibly grateful that my buddy introduced me to this diet because I think maintaining a leaner body would be a lot harder for me if I had to put more work into calculating the merits of what I eat. With the Atkins approach, I don't have to spend time and energy figuring out *what* to eat, because I can put any of my protein sources together with any veggies and then have a healthy meal in minutes. When I gained the excess weight, I felt like "I was too busy" to eat right. I now realize that grabbing a bag of Taco Bell isn't the only way to address a busy lifestyle.

Congrats on maintenance, Martha! HUGS!
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Glad to finally see you surface Ms. Trillex. I had visions of you hold up in a fast food place eating tons and tons of carbs. You have been missed, at least by me since you and I were here from the start of this thread.
HaHaHaHaHa! I didn't go back to my former love: Mr Taco Bell!

And I haven't gone back to my habit of overeating (the way I did on my summer vacation). Although, I must admit, fighting the impulse to eat when I'm not hungry is an ongoing struggle. I'm not sure I'll ever *beat* that impulse. But I'm honestly not tempted to eat off-plan foods.

In my head, pizza and tacos and ice cream and all of the stuff I ate while gaining excess bodyfat *feels* poisonous to me. I was in physically TERRIBLE shape when I started Atkins -- low stamina, back pain, shortness of breath -- so I want nothing to do with the stuff that I *feel* made me sick.

I also think I was weirdly *lucky* that I didn't lose a lot of pounds quickly or easily when I started Atkins. You've been here with me the whole time so you know that I never lost more than 2 pounds in a week, even during induction. And you were with me, supporting me through it, when I lost only 1.5 pounds in an entire month. I know, based on my experience, that it takes hard work and commitment and time to lose bodyfat. So obesogenic food feels like a *trap* that I don't want to fall into. I haven't even been tempted to eat a french fry off of someone else's plate. If I felt like "I can drop the excess fat anytime I want to," then I probably wouldn't be as diligent with my maintenance nutrition. But I don't want to regain and then have to fight my way back down into a healthy body.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #155
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Could I trouble you to ask what you ate in a day half way thru your journey??
Hi, Bonny-Jean! Nice to meet you! This is my beloved "home" thread but I haven't been around since my semester got busy. It's GREAT seeing new faces!

My eating habits changed a lot during my Atkins journey.

When I started, I was eating a lot of "rich" foods like grilled lamb or steaks, along with my daily induction allowance of four ounces of cheeses like brie or stilton. But last year's holiday season marked my 6th to 7th month on Atkins and I got completely "fed up" with rich foods because I ate so many induction-friendly rich foods during the holidays, like sugarless cheesecake and sugarless creme brûlée and roast duck and butter on every vegetable. I was emotionally tired of the grease so I started eating a lot of "lighter" foods after the holidays, especially seafood. At that point, after about 7 months on Atkins, the mere thought of putting something greasy into my mouth made me want to hurl!

Honestly, I've never been a huge fan of grease so I just started eating the foods I like that were on the induction list in my copy of Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution (DANDR). My favorite meal, during that time, was fresh tuna sautéed with ginger, fresh garlic and tamari. I literally ate seafood for both lunch and dinner 7 days per week, along with induction-list veggies like broccoli or brussels sprouts or spinach or any veggie on the induction list in DANDR. And I loved every meal! That's basically how I ate during the mid-point of my diet, from about 185-190 scale pounds down to 140-145 scale pounds, from my 7th month through my 14th month.

Then I went on summer vacation, where I spent two weeks in Turkey and a month in Napoli, eating much richer foods. Because I was in southern Italy, on the beautiful Bay of Naples, I was still eating a lot of seafood but it was swimming in olive oil. And I ate a lot of fresh mozzarella tossed with herbs and tons of olive oil. In Turkey, a lot of the meat and fish I ate were coated in oil so my vacation meals were much richer than the food I had been eating before vacation.

And I ate A LOT on vacation! Seriously, too much! The most valuable rule I learned from Dr Atkins was to "eat until satisfied, not stuffed." Learning that lesson changed my life and made me healthier and so much stronger. But that rule flew out of the freakin' window on vacation! I stuck to on-plan foods while I was on vacation, which was surprisingly easy, but I ate until I was so stuffed that I felt sick. When I got back from vacation, I hadn't gained any scale weight but it was the first time on Atkins that I didn't lose any scale pounds in a month-and-a-half.

After vacation, I got back to "eating until satisfied." And although I still eat a lot of seafood and veggies, which are my "go to" meals, I mix it up a bit more with grilled sausages or turkey breast I've cooked in the pressure cooker. So there's more variety. Plus, I've been climbing the Atkins Ongoing Weight Loss ladder, so I've added a lot of new foods from the Atkins ladder to my diet. In my opinion, Atkins has been totally compatible with what "I've felt like eating" at every stage. I've just stuck to the foods on the list and avoided the stuff that isn't on the list.

Good luck, Bonny-Jean! Honestly, in my experience, eating what you *want* to eat (as long as it's on the Atkins list) builds healthy, sustainable habits. I've seen a lot of people on the forum who've found ways to lose a lot of pounds REALLY fast by eating a certain way but then they fall off the wagon, or whatever, before achieving their goals. In my experience, it's more productive to find a way to enjoy the journey and more helpful to find a way to be patient with the rate of fat-loss progress. It took me about a year-and-a-half to reach my scale / size goal -- which is a LONG TIME -- but the journey didn't *feel* like a big sacrifice and maintenance doesn't *feel* like purgatory. Thanksgiving is in two days but I'm genuinely more excited about taking a break from work and hanging with my crazy family than I am about food because the Atkins journey has helped me to put food into a manageable perspective. I hope you find the same peace!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
Trillex so very glad to see you back!!!!! (((HUGS))) My daughter is also a teacher, and has lost 150 pounds, and she too chooses to stand all day. She had her desk and chair removed completely from her class so that she wouldn't even be tempted to sit! LOL

So proud of you! You look amazing and are truly an inspiration!
Hey, MamiGoose! It's good to see you! HUGS! How have you been feeling, after the hospital and everything?
Old 11-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /148 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
Trillex

Thank you so much dear for taking the time to pass on all your experiences and what you've learned. I am very appreciative for that. You've done an incredible job there. I hope I can follow in your footsteps.
Bonny-Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
My advice is just -- "Go by the book!" And if you don't have the book, yet -- "Go buy the book!" Or find the material that the Duke University doctor puts online for free. It took me months to figure out what to buy and what to cook to get my level of non-starchy veggies up to code, but once I did it all got a lot easier for me.
I just want to COSIGN this! Honestly, everything that my book (Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution) instructed me to do has paid tremendous dividends. At my initial bodyfat scan, before starting Atkins, half of my body was composed of fat. At this point, I've lost 100 scale pounds and most of that loss was bodyfat, with relatively minimal loss of lean mass. I'm not metabolically gifted. I didn't *tweak* the diet or do anything special. I just followed Dr Atkins's guidelines and it paid off amazingly well!

I trusted Dr Atkins and his plan because he was an expert on fat loss -- having written a diet book that's been popular for 40+ years -- whereas I clearly knew nothing about fat loss or I wouldn't have been Category 2 obese when I started the diet. So I'm SUPER glad that I just did what I was told because Dr A was a freakin' genius! Seriously!

I would also point out that the guidelines don't just include the food lists. Dr Atkins also says to "eat only when hungry" and "eat until satisfied, not stuffed." In my opinion, it's important to pay attention to the ENTIRE diet approach, not just the idea of "eat this, not that."
Old 11-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #159
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyQueen View Post
TRILLEX OH MY GOSH YOU LOOK FAN FRIGGIN TASTIC!!!!
Hey, DQ! It's so good to see you! You know that you've been my inspiration, sister. At least, I hope you know that.

Remember when you bought a pair of Pucci pants? It was probably 8 months to a year ago. I read that post and thought to myself, "I'm gonna gonna get there. I'm gonna get to Pucci." You gave me an image, an idea of how my options could improve *if* I got back down to a size 4-6. I'm there now and your post is the first thing I thought about when I recently bought a beautiful, suede Jitrois skirt.

It was a special moment because I wasn't *afraid* to try it on. It's not about the clothes or my size, really, it's about the freedom to choose what I want to wear. I don't have to feel nervous anymore about the size discrimination of European labels. Stores will have something for me, if I choose to shop there. It probably seems like a small thing to most people, but your posts about shopping helped me find my way back to things that are more valuable to me than food.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #160
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMom View Post
Wow!! Trillex, your story is amazing! My start weight and goals are almost identical to yours, and it is so inspirational to see someone who has done it! Congratulations, and you're so right yo realize that goal weight is not truly a "finish line!" Sounds like you have what it takes to keep it off for good. I really needed that boost today, so thank you.
Hi! Your starting weight is lower than my starting point... You can absolutely achieve your goals! The only *special* thing I did was keep going. Honestly, I'm still going. And being healthy and strong feels AMAZING!
Old 11-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #161
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thank you so much dear for taking the time to pass on all your experiences and what you've learned. I am very appreciative for that. You've done an incredible job there. I hope I can follow in your footsteps.
Good luck, Bonny-Jean! I'm happy to share my Atkins experience! And I hope it's helpful. I wish I could say that I've done something incredible or insightful, you know, something that's a guaranteed recipe for achieving your goal weight. Honestly, though, I didn't *do* anything special. I just followed the instructions in the book and I haven't stopped.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:45 AM   #162
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kempmuhlbauer
Stats: 274/274/190
WOE: Normal old atkins
Start Date: 10/21/13
Trillex: I dream one day I will have your will power to not eat donuts and pasta ever again. Man that is a tall order for a Italian like me.
kempmuhlbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #163
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/129.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
Hey, MamiGoose! It's good to see you! HUGS! How have you been feeling, after the hospital and everything?
Thanks for asking Trillex! Everything is good. I was so afraid that my hormones being all messed up from the hysterectomy would cause me to stop losing, but, thankfully, so far, I'm still losing at about 8-10 pounds per month. So I'm thankful for that and feeling really great! I'm even thinking about starting to train to run the Vegas Half Marathon with my daughter next year!

It's so great to see you back on here!
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and I hope that you don't struggle too much with whatever food decisions you make. See you all after the holiday. I am going to Palm Springs for the weekend to lay by the pool... Shirt off this year!

Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good For You Stevie!!! Enjoy every minute of it, you've earned it!
Old 11-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempmuhlbauer View Post
Trillex: I dream one day I will have your will power to not eat donuts and pasta ever again. Man that is a tall order for a Italian like me.
I'm honestly not sure but I *might* have an advantage here, because I don't have irregular blood glucose patterns. My trainer had me test my fasting blood glucose levels, and then test 30, 60, and 120 minutes after each meal for a full month, while eating *normally*, BEFORE I started Atkins. My levels never went above 120 mg/dl and never dropped precipitously, no matter what I ate. Bread. Sugar. Potatoes. Nothing spiked my blood glucose levels or made them plummet. I think that's why I've never, ever had a food craving in my life. I seriously didn't know that cravings were an actual physical thing until I started reading a lot about nutrition and brain chemistry, after I started Atkins. So it might be a bit easier for me to say "no" to off-plan foods because I don't have biochemical issues.

On the other hand, it might not be my blood chemistry. A lot of my closest friends and relatives are competitive bodybuilders and I've noticed a *weird* food phenomena among them. They spend most of their lives rotating through VERY specific diets and they eventually get to the point where they seem to *forget* what some popular, common foods actually taste like. I didn't really understand it before I started Atkins. But I've been on this program for a relatively long time -- I haven't had sugar or starches (except for trace amounts in sausage or whatever) in a year-and-a-half -- and I think that I can now kind of understand how bodybuilders manage to stick to really extreme plans. I don't think it's willpower, actually, I think it's a weird kind of conditioning that develops over time and somehow changes the way they perceive food.

I've had guys SWEAR to me that something completely vile was incredibly delicious. For example, one of my buddies makes "faux cornbread" out of protein powder and egg whites and fat-free cheese and something else ridiculously un-cornbready. A bunch of my buddies -- and both of my brothers -- RAVED to me about this cornbread for years, telling me, "It tastes just like real cornbread. It's amazing! You will never know the difference." I finally tried the faux cornbread and it tastes absolutely NOTHING like cornbread! For one thing, it has zero corn ingredients in it. It doesn't taste *bad*, to be honest. It kind of has no taste at all. But the texture is grainy and truly awful.

I finally realized that none of these guys have had actual cornbread in YEARS. They've somehow *forgotten* what cornbread tastes like, as weird as that sounds. My buddy who developed the cornbread recipe grew up spending summers in Mississippi, where his late grandmother made him tons of amazing cornbread. So he's had fabulous cornbread in the past, but his grandmother passed away about a decade ago so he hasn't had her cornbread since then, and he's had no real cornbread in recent memory.

Most bodybuilders do re-feeds or cheat meals and they ALL have pig-out days after competition. But each individual typically has specific re-feed foods and specific cheat and/or pig-out foods, and that's the ONLY time they'll give in and eat crappy foods. They don't *have to* be that limited when they pig out. It just sort of *happens* because they spend months starving themselves to compete -- literally starving -- and they consequently become fixated on having specific foods after competition. They will actually dream about those foods! So, if their obsession food isn't cornbread, then they'll never eat *real* cornbread. Ever. And they get to the point where they forget how cornbread actually tastes.

My ex-boyfriend's pig-out foods are pizza, Doritos, Krispy Kremes, and Sprite. So he hasn't had a french fry since he started competitive bodybuilding 8 years ago. He competes so he doesn't "randomly" eat anything, which means he's never going to just grab fries and a burger as a quick meal. His cheat meal macros are fairly low-fat -- as are most bodybuilding cheat meal macros -- so he's not going to eat fries with a cheat meal. And his pig-out foods very rarely vary. So, he's an adult, American male who hasn't had a french fry in years. He oven-roasts plain potatoes -- without Pam spray or anything -- and SWEARS they taste like McDonald's fries. THEY DO NOT TASTE AT ALL LIKE FRENCH FRIES! They totally taste like dry, unpleasantly starchy sticks.

I haven't had donuts or pasta in a year-and-a-half and I honestly can't *remember* what they taste like. Believe me, I've killed more than my share of Krispy Kremes. So donuts and I are NOT strangers! And in addition to making handmade pasta with my mom since I was 12 -- using an old-school, marble rolling pin instead of a machine -- I've spent 11 summers in Italy. So I've eaten tremendous amounts of great pasta in my life. But sitting here right now, I can't actually *remember* what pasta tastes like. I just haven't had any in SUCH a long freakin' time! I clearly remember ENJOYING Krispy Kremes and pasta. I absolutely LOVED glazed Krispy Kremes right off the line! For example, I specifically remember murdering to death a dozen Krispy Kremes with one of my best friends, along with an entire bottle of Bailey's. I ate 9 of the dozen and she killed the other 3... I remember the event, though, not what the food actually tasted like.

On the other hand, it's been less than a year-and-a-half since my unbearable lower-back pain went away so I clearly remember suffering horribly as a result of my excess bodyfat. So the painful memories of food are WAY stronger than my memory of the taste of certain foods and, at least for right now, my desire to avoid all of the crap food that caused my physical problems is stronger than my desire to eat those foods. That might change, though, as time passes and I start to forget how painful it was to be 100 pounds overweight.

That's why I'm climbing the Ongoing Weight Loss ladder the way that Dr Atkins laid it out, because I *hope* that re-integrating foods in an organized process will keep me from starting to believe that negative foods are *okay* now that I'm healthier. Because my weight problem proved that Krispy Kremes are absolutely not *okay* for me. If I go back to eating that stuff, then I've just wasted a year-and-a-half of my life making pointless, unsustainable changes. Right now, I'm not willing to trade my efforts and my health and my life for donuts, whose pleasure is so fleeting that I can't even remember what they tasted like. But who knows? A year from now, I might be sitting in a dark room murdering a dozen Krispy Kremes and a bottle of Bailey's...
Old 11-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #167
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
Thanks for asking Trillex! Everything is good. I was so afraid that my hormones being all messed up from the hysterectomy would cause me to stop losing, but, thankfully, so far, I'm still losing at about 8-10 pounds per month. So I'm thankful for that and feeling really great! I'm even thinking about starting to train to run the Vegas Half Marathon with my daughter next year!

It's so great to see you back on here!
I'm glad you're feeling good and healthy!

You should totally run the half marathon! I remember when Oprah turned 50 and ran a marathon, it was really inspirational. And a half marathon seems more do-able than a full marathon. I've *walked* 12 miles on beautiful days and it's been wonderful. So 13 miles seems like it could be a really good time! Especially with your daughter!
Old 11-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and I hope that you don't struggle too much with whatever food decisions you make. See you all after the holiday. I am going to Palm Springs for the weekend to lay by the pool... Shirt off this year!

Rock on, Big Stevie! Flex that midsection!
Old 11-28-2013, 04:43 AM   #169
Major LCF Poster!

Trillex: Very well said. I hope you are not in that dark closet ever. But if you are then you will be right back on plan the next day!!! LOL. My problem is I remember how they taste. Even when I did fall off plan a couple weeks ago, Is stayed away from real coke, my arch nemesis. When I drink a coke a taco bell run is not that far away. And so far so good. Only been on plan now for 36 days so a ways to go. But thanks for taking the time to respond. I will keep all that you said in mind. Maybe work toward not eating a doughnut at all on my next slip an forgetting what it taste like. Again mean a lot you took the time to write all that thanks again.

"STAY HEALTHY MY FRIENDS"

GOALS:
1. Keep on plan
2. Stay on plan
3. Work out
4. Run a 1/2 marathon on Jan. 19th!!!
Old 11-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #170
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempmuhlbauer View Post
Trillex: Very well said. I hope you are not in that dark closet ever. But if you are then you will be right back on plan the next day!!! LOL. My problem is I remember how they taste. Even when I did fall off plan a couple weeks ago, Is stayed away from real coke, my arch nemesis. When I drink a coke a taco bell run is not that far away. And so far so good. Only been on plan now for 36 days so a ways to go. But thanks for taking the time to respond. I will keep all that you said in mind. Maybe work toward not eating a doughnut at all on my next slip an forgetting what it taste like. Again mean a lot you took the time to write all that thanks again.
HaHa! I know that I'm so long-winded! I have to explain things by telling the WHOLE story.

I don't know if everybody eventually forgets. Or how long it takes to forget. I just don't think it would be a good idea to remind myself of *why* I enjoyed Krispy Kremes. Honestly, some doors need to stay closed.

FYI about Taco Bell - They cook their taco meat with flour and a starch compound in order to get that crumbly texture and to help the seasoning stick uniformly. So the insides of their tacos and burritos contain a shocking amount of simple carbohydrates.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #171
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for pointing that out Tril! That's what always worries me about getting hamburger when I'm eating out. I'm always afraid that they've mixed it with "stuff". I ALWAYS check the nutritional info before going some place, especially fast food. Chicken can be really bad too, because they often inject them with "stuff" to make them plump up and look better. Bleh!
Old 11-30-2013, 02:49 AM   #172
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: straphe
Stats: 231/194.5/187
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 15 January 2013
Even after 11 months of (on and off) Atkins, I still find weight loss weird. I've been stuck at 194 pounds for quite a while now, and a couple of days ago I just dropped a trousers size. Trousers that were very close fitting have become too big overnight. I'm very happy with it, although I'd be more happy if the same thing were to happen with my gut...
straphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:19 AM   #173
Major LCF Poster!

Straphe: The body does what the body wants. It is strange. I can go 6 days without losing a pound then lose 11 pounds in 8 days. The fat you lose out of your cells is replaced with water. Then the body says OK don't need that water anymore a few days later and bomb you lose a lot. Just stay at it and it will come off. By the way I hate the body when it does that.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by straphe View Post
Even after 11 months of (on and off) Atkins, I still find weight loss weird. I've been stuck at 194 pounds for quite a while now, and a couple of days ago I just dropped a trousers size. Trousers that were very close fitting have become too big overnight. I'm very happy with it, although I'd be more happy if the same thing were to happen with my gut...
Hey, Straphe! I hope all is well with school and your flat and everything!

I don't think I had a disproportionately large tummy when I started but then, about 6 months ago, I had a tummy "pooch" that I thought I was going to be stuck with. I don't *exactly* know when the pooch went away, but it was just gone one day. I didn't change my nutrition or workouts. Personally, I just lost in weird places at weird times.

The problem with using scales as a benchmark is that scales don't accurately measure "fat" loss. Scales measure "weight" loss, which doesn't mean much if your goal is to lose bodyfat. I've spent a lot of time supporting friends and relatives at bodybuilding competitions. And at "natural" (drug-free) competitions, just based on how they look, I can totally spot the guys who had *good* trainers versus guys who had *weak* trainers versus guys who had no trainers.

Guys who are the same height and weight, with similar builds, look TOTALLY different based on how much "weight" they've cut as fat. Guys with *good* trainers will cut almost exclusively fat and they will look *ripped* and *tight* at competition. Guys with *weak* trainers often look *ripped* but they won't look as *tight*. Guys with no trainers can be the same height and measurements as the well-trained guys but they won't look *lean* (in a bodybuilding sense). Before I started training, I thought the differences were based on muscle development but I now realize that it's because of fat. Guys who put too much emphasis on the scale during a cut don't get a competitive look because they haven't cut enough fat.

The scale can be a useful tool but it doesn't tell a comprehensive story. So I think you should celebrate the pants over whatever the scale says.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
Oh, the weird way the body stores fat. I have trouble finding clothes that fit because I have always, always, no matter my weight, from the 90s in high school to 140+ at my peak, had a disproportionately thick waist. And little saddle bags. After lifting weights and running a half-marathon. Right now, my hips are a little smaller than a size 00 Petite and my waist is size 6. On a good day. And sometimes I think it's because I'm so short that that space between the bottom of your ribs and the top of your pelvis doesn't exist on me. My ribs actually tuck into my pelvis a little. Which goes to show that I have thought about this probably too much! But I don't really care very much anymore. If I take a little time to find the right thing, I can look pretty snazzy. It's all Loft and Gap and local outlet, but I am a very happy camper and think I look terrific.

Last edited by martha; 11-30-2013 at 09:12 AM..
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #176
Senior LCF Member

About the taste for "greasy" food -- For a late Thanksgiving dinner, I made myself the most luxurious creamy oyster/fish stew I have ever had. Bacon, oysters, rainbow trout, half and half, butter... Really, really rich. I have never been one to deliberately load up on things like butter and bacon, in fact this is the first bacon I think I've bought in two or three years. It's just not one of those things on my list. And I really loved it. But by the bottom of the second bowl, I was feeling just... slightly... ill. There are two more cups in the refrigerator and I believe I'm going to take a couple of days to finish it off.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:37 AM   #177
Senior LCF Member

I'm so happy to have all this good reading from our friend Trillex, I'm inspired to write a little more, myself. I've had a great experience that has to do with the on-going usefulness of induction to people like us, who, once we're done with our weight loss, have to negotiate the rest of our lives through a food environment that confronts us at every turn with very appetizing smells from white-flour-and-sugar-based concoctions.

I started hitting my goal weight (an arbitrary number based more or less on my past experience) in early September and got really serious about adding back carbs according to the plan in the DANDR book that Trillex was talking about, aiming for maximum veggies not to mention pleasurable eating. My weight continued to drop, slowly, and I started trying to adjust to the idea of the weight loss phase being done.

I also got interested in the idea of intermittent fasting as a maintenance strategy and found it really easy and effective. It was so effective that I dropped another couple pounds. I really wanted to have some IF in my routine for the brain-related benefits, too. Then I dropped a couple more pounds, and that freaked me out a little. I wasn't sure I wanted to go that low. So I bumped up the carbs as well as the calories and moved back up the scale a hair.

I was careful to observe the effects of all this **as instructed in the DANDR** and noted that at one point I was starting to feel hungry at night, and started stopping off to munch on nuts on my way back to bed from the midnight bathroom run. I also found that I kind of liked the leaner, lighter feel, but that my food intake was inching up and so was my weight, just a little bit.

So I dropped back to induction-level carbs for a couple of days, and the hunger just disappeared. After two days, I did a 20-hour fast with no trouble at all, then went back to my normal maintenance routine. The hunger pretty much stayed away. My weight stabilized right at the level I liked.

It has all been just -- painless. Not at all stressful. None of that struggle with compulsive behavior or any sense of restriction and very little that I would call self-denial. I feel like I am in the driver's seat. For weeks I was really scared about increasing carbs because I was afraid that if I once fell out of the ketosis/induction state I would never get control again. But that's not the way it has worked at all. If I want to eat at a 40 or 50 net carb level for a day, I can just do it. If I decide I want to gain or lose a little, I can do that.

And I'm even starting to move just a little bit away from the whole "tracking" thing. I'm settling into a fun workout/activity schedule as well, without worry or pushing myself beyond what's comfortable.

The issue that has concerned me more than anything else has been the terrible statistics for weight loss maintenance. If you read the newspapers, the science writers will tell you it's just impossible to keep the weight off without turning your whole life over to the endeavor. But I feel really good about the way this process has gone so far, and I think induction is a great tool for maintenance. I'm going to stick with tracking for a while still (though I am a lot looser about it, and estimate a lot of things I used to measure) with the goal of eventually keeping just a simple diary of my weekly average weight and a few comments about how things are going. Low-compulsion maintenance. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited by martha; 11-30-2013 at 10:42 AM..
Old 11-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #178
Senior LCF Member

I just bought my first pair of 34" pants! This is my goal size. I started at 48. I tried them on expecting them not to fit but they did. Big day for sure.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stevie, congratulations! That's so exciting and you've worked hard for it!!!

Old 11-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #180
Senior LCF Member

The scale hasn't changed much lately but my body contines to change. So that is good.