Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
Steve I have the opposite problem, I have something new almost every night. Always trying new recipes.
Good for you. Share the good recipes with us!
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Anyone heard from Trillex???

I haven't, hope she is ok. I miss her posts. She has been with me since the beginning. If someone knows where shes at, let us know.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
I have missed her, too. Hoping that she is busy teaching and doing great.
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Start Date: March 2013
https://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/l...ion-buddy.html and http://lauraedavis69.blogspot.com/ are where you'll find all my recipes... at least until I make my cookbook then I'll remove a bunch from the blog.

Last edited by LauraDavis; 11-08-2013 at 09:44 PM..
LauraDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraDavis View Post
https://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/l...ion-buddy.html and My low carb journey and love of food are where you'll find all my recipes... at least until I make my cookbook then I'll remove a bunch from the blog.
Wow you are serious about this! I had no idea. Great for you. I like to cook so I will be trying some of them. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

All the recipes aren't induction but are low carb. OWL accetable.

I update it most the time got into a rut the other day but will be picking things back up once I put my bookcase together and get my desk moved to the office.

Last edited by LauraDavis; 11-08-2013 at 10:08 PM..
Old 11-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: straphe
Stats: 231/194.5/187
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 15 January 2013
Our kitchen is finally getting refitted, the workers start on Monday! It's a shame though, because I've been doing quite well with Atkins lately, I'm down to 196 pounds, which is just a bit more than my all-time May low. With nowhere to cook, I'm gonna be doing a cheat week. I've already planned out my favourite meals for the week.

I'll still be watching not to eat too much sweets, and I'll be hitting the gym extra hard next week so I'll hopefully not gain back much weight.

PS: Coconut milk is da bomb.
straphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:56 AM   #98
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kimmy_mum
Start Date: 11 November, 2013
New here :)

Hi everyone,

This is my first day in Induction and just wanted to say a quick hello and ask if I can hang out with you guys?
I am in Sydney and we count kilos instead of lbs, so Ive got to say I was a bit shocked when I did the conversion...230 lbs, so 97lbs to lose
I do find it a little tricky working out how much I can eat...is there an easier way to count carbs like 1 cup green salad veggies=xxxx? Or do I need to be really specific?
I am desperate to lose the weight, I want to be healthy for my kids...

Thanks
Kim
kimmy_mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kempmuhlbauer
Stats: 274/274/190
WOE: Normal old atkins
Start Date: 10/21/13
Kimmy mum: Hello and welcome to the thread. To count carbs you can use a scale or the packaging nutritional information. You need to be very specific!!! As this is your first time there are lots of hidden carbs in things. You may want to list a few daily menus so we can check it out to make sure you are on induction. If you follow the book exactly then you will do fine. Again welcome and good luck on you journey.
kempmuhlbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margn
Stats: 186.8/153.4/140
Start Date: June 29,2013
Kimmy Mum:

Welcome. Today is the first day on the road to success. We are here to help in anyway needed. Trust me, we all need it at some point.

Good luck and keep focused on the goal and not the bumps in the road.
margn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Hi, Kimmy -- if you have a list of "induction foods", sticking to those will keep you pretty much in line. But most people do count carbs fairly closely because what makes the diet work best for people is keeping those totals low. For some people, you can add quite a few carbs back in once you reach your goal weight. Other people discover that they can only keep a stable weight and a manageable appetite by keeping levels quite low. I struggled to get my "net carbs" (grams) down below 20 for the induction phase and am still just gradually adding foods back now. But the proportions sure are different!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

I have been at the same weight for about 10 weeks now. The scale isn't changing but my body seems to be. My pants are getting looser. I am about ready to get some smaller pants. From the begining, my goal pants wise was 34" waist (I started at 46). Right now the 36 is getting to big even though I haven't lost anything on the scale.

I am wondering now if I should continue to try to lose or just try to maintain my current weight. My wife says to stop. I guess my body is saying stop as well. In order to get under 200 pounds I am going to really have to restrict calories and up the exercise. I am wondering if it is worth it just to hit a number in my head.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Stevie: If you are ok with it that is all that matters. Congrats on the awesome losses. I have about the same stats as you. I have hit onderland before and want to again, but when I get to about 210 it just feels right. People say I look sick when I get below 200. So happy for that those are the decisions you are having to make, cannot wait to get there.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
I am wondering if it is worth it just to hit a number in my head.
I have been adjusting my goals too by a few pounds because when I got in the neighborhood of my goal weight, my body was different in a lot of ways than the last time I had been at that weight. And I have shifted my focus from the number on the scale to my waist measurement. I am still getting on the scale, but I am less concerned about the number. (In fact, I seem to be at the right place two or three pounds lower than I originally expected.)

On another, induction-related topic, I am still learning what I can eat on maintenance. Interesting day today. I didn't set out to avoid meat, it just happened. No meat, relatively heavy net carbs (for me), at 43 grams, and just as much protein as I usually do -- twice the minimum recommended, 76 grams. 56% fat (84 g), 1421 calories. Almonds, gouda, pecorino romano, eggs, black bean spread (with sundried tomatoes and lots of garlic), sweet potato spread, spinach soup with tofu, fresh fig, a smoothie with a few cherries, nutritional yeast, chia seeds, 2% Greek yogurt, a small salad of greens with a teaspoon of olive oil, and my standard walnut, chocolate, coconut butter dessert. Lots of red palm oil.

So a meatless approach to low-carb can work. It's not induction level, but I suppose some people would manage to be in ketosis on that.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: straphe
Stats: 231/194.5/187
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 15 January 2013
Ah, they finally finished refitting out kitchen yesterday - in under four days we got a brand new kitchen, flooring, everything! It looks so friggin' wonderful, especially after the disgusting hole it was previously. I'll definitely start being more adventurous with my cooking now.

On another note, that was four days off of Atkins. And by God it was horrible. It felt so nice to have my regular eggs, bacon, avocado breakfast after the junk that I ate earlier in the week. But at least I won't be wondering what it would be like to eat off plan for quite a while now.

@martha, that dessert sounds wonderful! Do you just whack the ingredients together and zap it for a bit?
straphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:38 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by straphe View Post
@martha, that dessert sounds wonderful! Do you just whack the ingredients together and zap it for a bit?
I just put the walnuts in a small bowl, add one square of very dark chocolate (I like Lindt 90%) and two tablespoons of coconut butter -- I don't mix it at all -- and warm it just a little bit in the microwave to get the chocolate soft and the coconut butter runny. And I eat it with a spoon! I always have a glass of ice water with it because it can definitely produce that "peanut butter stuck to the roof of the mouth" feeling. But I truly love it.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:44 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

By the way, those "spreads" made of black beans and sweet potatoes are very spicy concoctions with a lot of turmeric and red palm oil. I wanted just a little bit of these particular carbs in my diet and also wanted to get the antioxident benefit of turmeric and the vitamin E in the red palm oil, so I experimented. I usually end up putting a little bit of these two things in the skillet as my morning omelet is finishing up, and it winds up being like a spicy breakfast burrito without the wrap.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

It is funny you mentioned spicy. I have been craving spicy since I started Atkins. I eat chili at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Before I started Atkins I would have spicy maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

Anyone else have the same thing going on?
Old 11-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

And the spicy theme continues, as I dig into some good chili-flavored chicken soup that I made before the weather got cool and stuck in the freezer. I like spicy stuff when it's cold outside. And it may be my imagination, but I think peppers and chili powder help keep the soup fresh-tasting longer. Antioxidants, right? Suppose it might work that way.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #110
Major LCF Poster!

I eat a lot of spicy. But I did before. I could eat Mexican food every day! Want to try a curry I have a recipe for just haven't gotten there yet.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Yes, give us some curry recipes. I love the stuff.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
I too love curry and always add it to my chicken salad. Most evenings I eat a soup of beef and broth which I season with curry, extra turmeric and a little cumin and cinnamon. I've read that those particular spices all have health benefits and they certainly taste good.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

I'll find it tonight and post it but it hasn't been kitchen tested yet. Maybe that will be tonights dinner.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #114
Major LCF Poster!

ok here's a slow cooker recipe that I haven't tried yet... with my changes.

Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 tablespoon ginger paste or 1" piece fresh ginger peeled and cut into pieces
2 cloves garlic, halved
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound cauliflower florets
2 pounds chicken thighs, skin removed and discarded (about 8 thighs) I'll use chicken breast
5 oz baby spinach
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish

Combine the tomatoes with their juices, 2 tablespoons vinegar, flour, tomato paste, 1 teaspoon garam masala, ginger, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in the blender or food processor. Puree until well blended and only slightly chunky. Set aside. Sprinkle the chicken with remaining garam masala, salt and pepper and lay in bottom of slow cooker. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Cook on high for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or low for 6 to 7 hours. 45 minutes before done uncover the slow cooker and add cauliflower florets. Cook for 45 minutes. Uncover and add spinach, stir in until wilted, about 1 minute. Let curry stand, uncovered turned off for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken a bit. Add the remaining teaspoon vinegar and chopped cilantro and season with additional salt and pepper.

and also a lot of them are here: https://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/l...ion-buddy.html

Next big goal for me....180 or 65# down
Old 11-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Anyone heard from Trillex???

I haven't, hope she is ok. I miss her posts. She has been with me since the beginning. If someone knows where shes at, let us know.
HUGS HUGS HUGS!!! Hugs, Big Stevie!!! Hugs, Martha!!! Hugs, Laura!!! Hugs and smooches, everyone!!!

I'm so sorry I've been out of touch for the past couple of months! I only taught one course per semester when I was in graduate school, so I was completely unprepared to teach 3 classes full of highly-engaged, Type A students. I've been completely swamped and I've let a lot of *me* things go, like Netflix and soccer and the forum.

But I have been continuing to carefully watch my nutrition and exercise, no matter how busy I am! I made my scale goal of 135 pounds in early October. Prior to that, I had only been weighing once per month, as you know, but my trainer advised me to weigh daily when I hit my scale goal. I think this is good advice because getting on the scale each morning reminds me that this is an ongoing process, not a "finish line."

Having only weighed once per month during the weight loss period, I always saw the scale go *down* so it was SUPER weird (and sad) the first time I saw the scale go up after reaching my scale goal! Eeeek! My daily scale weight tends to fluctuate between 134-138, although it did go up over 140 for a few days and I thought, "Oh, no! It's all coming back!" But after my *female time* was over, the scale went back down into the 130s and I learned a valuable lesson about dealing with daily weighing. I'll get a follow-up body fat scan when I return to Chicago in January, which will tell me if I have genuinely met my fat loss goal.

I'm still climbing the Atkins Ongoing Weight Loss ladder. I'm currently on rung 7: legumes. The past two rungs have been fairly immaterial to me since I rarely drink and I almost never eat peanuts. But rules are rules and I'm following Dr Atkins's guidelines as closely as I can since his rules have served me so well throughout this process.

I'm only working with my trainer once per week now, since I've been so busy. But I walk at least 5 miles 5 days per week and I climb the stairs to classes instead of taking the elevator. I try to follow a lifestyle rule of choosing to stand instead of sit and choosing to walk manageable distances instead of taking a bus or taxi.

I still log all of my food and I make sure that the amount I eat each day is commensurate with the amount I burn. I still fight the impulse to overeat -- especially after a long day, I fight the impulse to eat as relaxation. But it feels weirdly *good* to turn down food that I know is bad for me.

Cheers, all! I hope everyone is ready for the upcoming holiday season! I have 30 student essays to comment on, so back to the grind...

HUGS!!!

Atkins STARTING weight 235 / size 16: 11 May 2011
Compared to CURRENT weight 135 / size 6: 17 November 2013
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /148 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
Holy HELL!!! Look at you!!! Wow. So proud of you. Congrats!! Wow.
Bonny-Jean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Great to hear from you Trillex. Missed you lots!
Old 11-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Trillix you look awesome way to go.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Hi, Trillex! I thought the teaching load might be keeping you off the internet! Very happy to hear that you're well and feeling good. I'm working on maintenance, too, and went through some early panic myself. But I've actually managed to lose a teensy bit too much, decide to gain a little back, and then re-adjust. At first I felt panicky, too, when I saw the gains, but I got over it. Working on the maintenance diet, too, and eating teensy weensy amounts of steel cut oats, black beans, and sweet potatoes, all mixed with good oils and lots of spices and served up next to real protein! So it goes well. Best to you and it's great to hear from you. Dynamite comparison photos.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Glad to finally see you surface Ms. Trillex. I had visions of you hold up in a fast food place eating tons and tons of carbs. You have been missed, at least by me since you and I were here from the start of this thread. Looking great. Don't let the school suck the life out of you. Please don't give up the things you love in life for anyone or anything. As some who worked 60 to 70 hours a week during my 20's and most of my 30's, it is just not worth it.