Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ValidRouge
Stats: 256/232.4/180
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart 7/7/2013
Hi, everyone. I'd like to join this group. I'll be back on induction for the next couple weeks . I'm here looking for support. This looks like the place to be

I've been doing a semi fat fast the last few days and today starts day 1 of induction. I was wondering though, there doesn't seem to be an Atkins On going weight loss thread--just induction. What do folks do here when they go into OWL?
ValidRouge is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by straphe View Post
Day five of the restart, I'm down three pounds and the induction flu seems to be going away, although I'm still hungry all the time. Like all the time. I've just had a one minute muffin, wasn't as good as I hoped it to be, but gotta keep trying, I guess. Stevie, how do you make yours?
I make mine with cinnamon in them. I put cream cheese on them. Now that I am in the later stages of Atkins I put some peanut butter on them. I have also made them with coco powder for a chocolate taste. There is a 1 minute muffin thread that I referenced, there are a lot of ideas on how to change it up in that thread. People do a lot of variations on it. Many people add nuts, and things like coconut oil instead of butter. Here is the link again.http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...te-muffin.html The taste does grow on you. Stick with it for a little while.

If you are hungry all the time, eat. Just eat induction foods. Being hungry is frequently an issue with not getting enough fat. Put your menu into one of the on line trackers and check your ratios of Fat, protein and Carbs. Your fats need to be in the 60% range.

I used coconut oil to get my fats up. I take a teaspoon each morning. It really to keep me full.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 09-27-2013 at 11:00 AM..
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValidRouge View Post
Hi, everyone. I'd like to join this group. I'll be back on induction for the next couple weeks . I'm here looking for support. This looks like the place to be

I've been doing a semi fat fast the last few days and today starts day 1 of induction. I was wondering though, there doesn't seem to be an Atkins On going weight loss thread--just induction. What do folks do here when they go into OWL?
Welcome. I along with many here had a lot of weight to lose. After two weeks, I determined that I could live at Induction Level carbs. So instead of upping the carbs, I have stayed down at induction levels for my daily routine. I have now started to add other stuff in, mainly more vegetables and nuts, but I still target 20 carbs a day. On occasions, I will eat higher carbs for a day, for example I had two beers last night, but then I am right back to 20 carbs. I am just not as strict on myself as I was in the beginning.

I am sure if you look around this forum, you will find others in the owl portion of the program that can help you along.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Big Stevie, it's nice to meet you. For the last 3 months I've been doing pretty much the same thing--20 or less--but some days i have nuts or nut butters (which almost always triggers binge behavior and I go wayyyy over on carbs).
Old 10-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Where is everyone? I sure hope all our Induction Babies are still on track.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cayenne
Stats: 173/168/140. 5'3"
Start Date: October 1, 2013
Hi, everyone! New here today. I decided to start on Oct 1. Tried Atkins about 10 years ago & lost 10 lbs (that's all I needed to lose then!), so thought I'd give it another go since I'm way overweight now. I have gained around 40 lbs since quitting smoking 4 years ago. Actually, I have recently lost 13 lbs after eliminating alcohol, so thought I might as well keep up the momentum. It's only been 2 1/2 days, so I have quite a way to go. I'm drinking lots of water, & so far--no problems with hunger or cravings. Reading through the threads here--y'all are quite the inspiration
Cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Start Date: March 2013
Cayenne.

Steve I'm still here... still sticking to plan other than a V-8 lapse I had last week.. Craving them again bad.
LauraDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Welcome, Cayenne! I've been reading the diet cure and it says that L-Glutamine helps with cravings for sugar AND alcohol. I've been taking it the last week or so, I'm not sure if it really helps...but I haven't had too many wild cravings.

Stevie, i'm here. Chugging along.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cayenne
Stats: 173/168/140. 5'3"
Start Date: October 1, 2013
Thanks, y'all! I guess I'm lucky because I've never cravedsweets or alcohol (stopped booze because of DH issues with it). I'm more interested in savory things like nuts & cheeses. I definitely understand the v8 craving, lol!

I just want to keep up my momentum & get rid of this dang not smoking weight.
Time for it to go!
Cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Still working the plan. I have been stuck for a few weeks now. It is frustrating. But still hanging in there.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
I'm still figuring out maintenance -- where is that stability zone, that spares you hunger but keeps your weight stable? And provides enough extra to add a little muscle and have a little more fun with the workouts and the dancing?

I am still counting both carbs and calories, tracking that and exercise just like before -- so I guess it will be a while before I feel comfortable cutting loose and doing it by the seat of my pants. I could just let the scale tell me -- eat freely until I gain, then drop back -- but for brain health and other considerations, I would kind of like to keep as much of the benefits of a ketogenic diet as I can. But without getting into all that blood testing, I don't know how to be sure whether I'm there or not.

Part of the plan remains to drop back into induction mode once in a while, just to keep myself "tuned" properly. But I'm kind of making this up. Maybe I ought to read about carb cycling. Or maybe I ought to turn my attention to other things and gradually get used to the "new normal."

Hope everybody is well and happy and getting good results.
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: straphe
Stats: 231/194.5/187
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 15 January 2013
I've found something peculiar: I can't beat the flu while I'm on Atkins.

Like, seriously. I have had the flu for more than a week now. I usually beat this sort of thing in a couple of days, but not this time. I've stayed in bed for three days, have had zero energy, and was constantly feverish. Then I figured I can't be bothered to cook up some meat, so had a sandwich, and some pastries, and what do you know, I was better within a day. I've gone off plan for three days, am completely fine now, and going back on plan starting tomorrow.

It's just weird as hell. Have any of you noticed something like this?
straphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Yeah, I have had a couple things seem to last longer than usual. However, I haven't gotten as many things while on Atkins.

I just spent the weekend camping with the boy scouts. It is hard to eat in a big group of people camping. Let's just say I don't want to see another hot dog for a very long time.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

As for flu and recovery and such... I don't think I've had anything that kept me in bed or caused me to alter my routine since starting this -- so don't know. I hope what you're experiencing is just transitional or something, it would be very uncool to have "difficulty in recovering from colds and flu" to be a permanent feature of this woe!
Old 10-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
As for flu and recovery and such... I don't think I've had anything that kept me in bed or caused me to alter my routine since starting this -- so don't know. I hope what you're experiencing is just transitional or something, it would be very uncool to have "difficulty in recovering from colds and flu" to be a permanent feature of this woe!
I think it is opposite. You are healthier. You skip the little stuff you used to get altogether. So when you do catch something it feels bigger because you are so used to feeling better. Or at least that is my theory.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

My experience has been the same as yours, Steve. I feel the best I have in years.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lyndalou52
Stats: 198/180./155
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Hi all
O haven't been here for a bit. I did slip off the wagon a couple of days --- had a glass of wine and did eat some bread---but, I've picked myself up, brushed myself off and am starting over. I know this is what I need to do for myself. Actually yesterday I felt terrible from trying to be normal... it kind of showed me that all the hard work I did I need to stay at it. Nd this is not a diet-- it's a life changing lifestyle. So I'm back. And glad I am. Been reading your posts and a few other groups-- it sure does help me to be motivated and just start over. this is a fantastic group and I am going to come here next time (hopefully there won't be a next time) I get tempted. Thank you for all your honesty in your posts. It does help that we are not alone. Thank you again from the bottom of my heart.
Lyndalou52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Still pushing on. I am down another 2 pounds, but man is it slow going these days. Hope everyone is doing well. Where did everyone go????
Old 10-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #49
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lyndalou52
Stats: 198/180./155
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Congrats Big Stevie!!!! Sometimes it goes slow-- but at least it goes.
I'm inspired by you.
Have a great week.
Lyndalou52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

I wonder where everybody is, too, sometimes, so will just keep posting here from time to time to keep the thread in view. I am still working on learning how to do this maintenance business, which I'm grateful gets so much attention and thought in the Atkins literature. I'm increasing carbs still, but really, really, really slowly and carefully. (I've only gone over 40 twice since June -- and then still stayed below 80 both times.) I'm going to see how an average of 35 works, because I still seem to be losing a little bit at 30 or so, even with what feels like a ton of food.

So -- I had a great breakfast! An omelet with parmesan cheese and olive oil, a big blob of a black bean hummus (onion/pepper/olive oil/garlic/turmeric) fried like a patty in the pan with the egg, and half an avocado. Something like a 15/15/70 macronutrient breakdown. I'm trying to learn to think in terms of meals the right size that follow the right pattern. It was also mega-, mega-tasty.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

And by the way -- Hi, Steve! Glad to see that you're around.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: straphe
Stats: 231/194.5/187
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 15 January 2013
I'm still hanging in there, still on Induction, and still hitting the gym thrice weekly, doing some cardio and some weights training. It's funny because my weight loss has becaome ridiculously sporadic, even though it was quite linear before. I was at 208 pounds for two weeks and then suddenly, literally overnight, I dropped to 203. I don't know where those 5 pounds came from, because my belly, where I have the most fat, hasn't gone down one inch. Weird.
straphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

It is weird. I had an almost perfectly linear progression going all along, but with one wildly erratic couple or three weeks in July. I was doing the same thing all along. No clue what that was about, unless it was NSAIDs that I took when I pulled a muscle. But you wouldn't think it would make that big a difference.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

I have never ever been linear. I go weeks with double digit losses follow be weeks of nothing. Even though I have been losing much lately, my body continues to change. People keep coming up and say I look thinner even though the scale doesn't reflect that. But it must be so because a lot of different people are saying it and my clothes seem to be fitting better. Again, I don't think the scale is always the best indication of what is happening.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LauraDavis
Stats: 245.8/190.6/145
Start Date: March 2013
Steve I'm still here. I've lost 52# now and still going. I have 48# to go yet. I'm currently in a bounce back up which sucks but I still head down as a whole. I've dropped another clothes size.

Busy working, still working 7 days a week. Also cooking alot and playing with low carb menus.
LauraDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:43 AM   #56
Senior LCF Member

I resisted doing the tape measure thing for a long time because it just made me feel bad. But these days I do find it a better gauge of what's going on, and it can chill me out when the scale says something weird. (Also, I didn't spend a lot of money on my digital scale, and let's just say it's probably not the model they use at NASA to weigh the astronauts, you know what I mean? Whereas the technology for the tape measure is a lot less buggy.)
Old 10-24-2013, 05:48 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Atkins OWL thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValidRouge View Post

Well, me I just continue to come here, because I made friends here, and because in my way of working, Induction remains a strategy for whenever you need to shift back into "lose weight now" mode. So it's part of maintenance, for me. I don't think anybody minds that the focus is not just on induction, but they may just be polite.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #58
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Osomir
Hello everyone! I'm new and just started the induction process on Monday Oct. 21st. My starting weight was 185.3 lbs and I hope to eventually get down to 150. I came here looking for support and advise since lack of food diversity and plateau effects have affected my sustainability on this diet in the past. I am hoping to avoid that this time around!

I look forward to getting to know you all.
Osomir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: angie1
Stats: 185/165.4/155 - 5'5
WOE: JUDDD*
Hello everyone! Today was my day one on Atkins Induction!
I'm getting married in 8 months and I need to lose the 50 lbs ive gained in the last couple of years!!

I use the app on my Iphone which I love and makes counting carbs fun!

I love forums ..and im excited to meet you all.

SW: 183.6

I weigh myself daily so maybe I'll post on here to keep myself accountable
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osomir View Post
Hello everyone! I'm new and just started the induction process on Monday Oct. 21st. My starting weight was 185.3 lbs and I hope to eventually get down to 150. I came here looking for support and advise since lack of food diversity and plateau effects have affected my sustainability on this diet in the past. I am hoping to avoid that this time around!

I look forward to getting to know you all.
Welcome. Do a search on this site for the "Induction Food Porn." The food and recipes is really only limited by your imagination. At first I kind of felt trapped, until I realized all of the great things we get to eat. Focus on those and not the stuff you can't eat.

I have been on Atkins about 1 1/2 years. I went out to dinner with my mom tonight and she was worried that I wouldn't have enough to eat since I wasn't eating carbs. I told her is wasn't an issue and she shouldn't worry about me because I have plenty of stuff to eat.