Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
Nice to see new people. Welcome and best of luck!
martha is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #302
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lucylu
Stats: 246/226/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/17/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
Welcome Lucylu. Good luck on your first weight in. I think it is great you are only weighing once a week. Remember, you can also measure weight loss with a measuring tape or my favorite way is with the way my clothes fit.
Thank you! I'm also measuring myself once a month!
lucylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #303
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lucylu
Stats: 246/226/150
Start Date: 1/17/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucylu View Post
New member and also induction baby! I started last week and tomorrow will be my first weigh-in! I'm excited to see how much I have lost!
I lost 5 pounds my first week.
lucylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #304
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Very encouraging!
Old 01-25-2014, 08:09 AM   #305
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
That is a great start. Slow and steady wins the race. Just keep on plan and you will be at goal before you know it.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #306
Senior LCF Member

Sometimes I wish I loved cheese just a little bit less than I do. I've been eating too much cheese and too many nuts (lazy), and too much salty smoked fish, and a little more carbs than usual, all at about the same time, and I feel all blimped up and out of sorts. A couple of days in induction mode, just clean and simple foods, combined with a longer overnight fast than usual, and I'm starting to feel more like myself again.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:55 AM   #307
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Sometimes I wish I loved cheese just a little bit less than I do. I've been eating too much cheese and too many nuts (lazy), and too much salty smoked fish, and a little more carbs than usual, all at about the same time, and I feel all blimped up and out of sorts. A couple of days in induction mode, just clean and simple foods, combined with a longer overnight fast than usual, and I'm starting to feel more like myself again.

It is great that you have learned your body so well.

Even a year and half in, I still occasionally get a little off track like you described above. Nothing major, just little adds that catch up with me. But thank God I can recognize it quickly and make minor changes to bring me right back in line.

For our new Induction Babies, you really need to learn what foods make you gain, stall, get hungry, cause cravings, and those you eat too much of. It takes time and you need to pay attention. It will naturally occur over time, but you do need to be observant.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #308
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I still occasionally get a little off track like you described above. Nothing major, just little adds that catch up with me. But thank God I can recognize it quickly and make minor changes to bring me right back in line.

For our new Induction Babies, you really need to learn what foods make you gain, stall, get hungry, cause cravings, and those you eat too much of. It takes time and you need to pay attention. It will naturally occur over time, but you do need to be observant.
It's true. And this reminds me of one of the reasons that I keep tracking everything I eat. As long as I have a record, then I pretty much know when a blip is a blip. I mean, if (like over the last couple of weeks) I've added two pounds and almost an inch around the middle, then I can look at my intake and I **know** that I didn't eat enough to gain that much fat. And so it's probably just water-weight because I'm taking NSAIDs or eating smoked fish or storing water along with glycogen. But it's not fat, and if I just keep with the program, in a few days it will seem to just go WHOOSH and be gone. If I didn't have the record, I think (at this point, only a few months into maintenance) I'd be anxious and second-guessing myself.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:56 AM   #309
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KWAY2B185
Stats: 254.4/248.8/185
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: January 26, 2014/January 29, 2014(Atkins 72)
Hi all, I am an "induction baby", I started yesterday. I weighed and measured yesterday and have determined not to do either until then of the two weeks. I am so excited to be here gaining inspiration to move forward in this journey of new eating. Happy living...
KWAY2B185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #310
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bellalinda
Stats: 4'11" 175/165.2/135
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Restart 1/7/14
induction baby here! all other times i've tried to start atkins, i was never true to the rules. this time i've stuck to it and so far it works, so i'll say that i'm new to this i've been trolling around these threads since the beginning of the year, stealing some lovely recipes and ideas. thank you for the inspiration!

tomorrow begins week four on induction and i plan to stick with it. my menus have been pretty consistent and i think i need to up the intensity for my workouts. any advice for extended induction?
bellalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #311
Senior LCF Member

What'd I tell you? Whoosh.

Welcome to new people! I am short on time right now so will just say that my advice is to just do it by the book, including water, the right veggies in the right amounts, and enough salt and magnesium. The veggies will take care of the potassium. Don't freak out if you feel a little funny at first, there's a transition to get through. Good luck!
Old 01-29-2014, 12:13 AM   #312
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: straphe
Stats: 231/194.5/187
WOE: Atkins induction
Start Date: 15 January 2013
I've hit my lowest weight yet yesterday, 194.5 lbs. I was just about to give up Induction and start maintenance, as I simply can't do weight training along with Atkins - I can hardly benchpress half of what I could when I was eating carbs, it's ridiculous - but seeing how I'm quite close to my goal, I think I'll keep on Atkins for another week or so.

Welcome to all the new peeps - you can do it.
straphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #313
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalinda View Post

tomorrow begins week four on induction and i plan to stick with it. my menus have been pretty consistent and i think i need to up the intensity for my workouts. any advice for extended induction?
Welcome. I have been on Induction for about 18 months. You can do it. I have added a few things but I am still staying around 30 carbs a day. I would recommend staying on induction until you get close to goal.

Working out is great, but I lost 75 pounds with no workouts. I would recommend focusing on clean eating rather than super intense workouts. Not saying not to workout, but don't work out so hard you screw up your eating. As you go along, your body will adapt and you can do both.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #314
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/160.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I agree with Stevie, I've lost almost 125 pounds without any exercise. I would focus on the eating right now and keep that as clean as possible.

I haven't been on induction quite as long as Stevie, it will be a year for me in February. I keep my carbs under about 10 per day, and those carbs I do have primarily come from the eggs and cheese that I eat. You can stay on induction as long as you need to to reach your goals.
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:14 PM   #315
Senior LCF Member

MtherGoos I didn't realize you have been at this less than a year. You are just killing it. Great for you. You have gotten down quick, probably the quickest I have seen around here.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #316
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Stevie! It will be my one year Atkinsversary on the 22nd of February! I can't wait to post before and after pictures on that day!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:00 AM   #317
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KWAY2B185
Stats: 254.4/248.8/185
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: January 26, 2014/January 29, 2014(Atkins 72)
Martha, I took your advice and got that magnesium. I take two 250 mg with dinner and it has been working wonders in the morning.

Bella

Hooray on your loss straphe

Big Stevie & MthrGoos, you guys are an inspiration to me...it gives me hope that this time next year I can be in a totally different place, heck 2 months from now, I can. Although I haven't really worked out this week, I don't feel bad because I know that this is possible w/o it.

KWAY2B185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:53 AM   #318
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Kway! I have faith that you will definitely reach your goals! You can do this and we're all here to help you!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:02 PM   #319
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWAY2B185 View Post
Big Stevie & MthrGoos, you guys are an inspiration to me...it gives me hope that this time next year I can be in a totally different place, heck 2 months from now, I can. Although I haven't really worked out this week, I don't feel bad because I know that this is possible w/o it.

[/url]
Not only is it possible, but if you stick around here and just eat Induction foods you will be in a different place. It happens quickly as well. This is an easy diet/ way of eating, once you get it figured out. The craving really do go away if you eat clean. Your brain feels better, you sleep better, and you generally feel great. You can do this. Yes, exercise is great for your health and you should do it. But you can lose without it.

As I have said here before, people told me I was fat because I was lazy and didn't work out. Well, I wanted to prove them wrong. That is why I didn't work out for several months when starting this program. The truth is that I have always been very active even when I was heavy.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #320
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Despicableme
Stats: 206/148/130
WOE: ketosis
Another induction baby here! Day 5th!
Despicableme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:52 AM   #321
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despicableme View Post
Another induction baby here! Day 5th!
Welcome! How is it going so far? Post some of your menus and we will help you get settled in. You can do this.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #322
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
The cravings really do go away if you eat clean. Your brain feels better, you sleep better, and you generally feel great. You can do this.
It is so true, and it's my personal belief that the absolute silver bullet to weight loss and maintenance is taking care of the cravings! People who don't particularly want food tend not to eat too much! What a revelation! And if you choose your foods thoughtfully and carefully and consistently, according to plan, you will just not want as much food, most of the time.

I was lucky, because even though I had the classic "metabolic syndrome" shape and a family history of diabetes, and some scary signs of high blood sugar, I got out of it (so far) with (apparently) a still-healthy pancreas. So things have normalized for me and I've been able to transition to maintenance -- by the book -- very slowly. I was kind of irritated at having to give up some favorite foods completely for a while, but found that I could do it and not really miss them, since there were so many good things I could eat.

I never had big multi-pound losses in a week or anything like that, but the weight came off steadily and has stayed off. I just happened to celebrate a new low today, though I'm not trying to lose now, it's just part of the usual up-and-down at the low end of my recommended normal and healthy range.

And that's a huge gift.

My only advice is, eat the recommended vegetables in the recommended amounts. For a lot of people, this will work just fine, and you'll be better for it. Consider the possibility that five carbs a day may not actually be better than 15 or 20.

Good luck and happy traveling.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:00 AM   #323
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: raanai
Stats: 143/140/125
Start Date: January 2014
New Baby here... Day 13. Lost 3 lbs just in the first weekend just from not drinking sodas and snacking, etc. I can almost also lose that anytime I want just from that. But I've lost nothing since. A little discouraged but not giving up! Any advice, suggestions would be great!!

I'm 41, 5'2", 140 lbs. Eggs, meat, cheese, water - easy stuff! Veggies- so so hard. I have never enjoyed vegetables and what few I do (basic lettuce salad, carrots, green beans) I'm tired of (or can't have yet). I added spinach to my salads, and I've been soooo good not to cheat. I eat something at least 3 times a day and maybe a little pepperoni/cheese bites for a snack if I'm hungry but usually just drink water.

I had headaches for the first week, right when I woke up, and I had MAJOR cravings for the first 4-5 days, but now, I feel good, don't crave hardly anything, no more headaches, plenty of energy (which is good because I work F/T and go to school 6 hours a week and I'm a mom to 3 teenage girls (and 1 college son), so I'm actually pleased with my energy levels.

So why doesn't my waistline or weight seem to change??

Oh, I started back at the gym this week to help maybe kickstart some activity too. 30 minutes of running (real running!) and then 20 minutes of walking/weights. Right now I'm going 3x a week.

Thanks for listening!
raanai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #324
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raanai View Post
New Baby here... Day 13. Lost 3 lbs just in the first weekend. But I've lost nothing since. A little discouraged but not giving up! Any advice, suggestions would be great!!

I had headaches for the first week, right when I woke up, and I had MAJOR cravings for the first 4-5 days, but now, I feel good, don't crave hardly anything, no more headaches, plenty of energy.

So why doesn't my waistline or weight seem to change??

Oh, I started back at the gym this week to help maybe kickstart some activity too. 30 minutes of running (real running!) and then 20 minutes of walking/weights. Right now I'm going 3x a week.

Thanks for listening!
I don't know why, but my experience was so similar. And I started at 5'1.5 and 141 pounds, and 56, so some similarities there. I lost one pound, then nothing, then two, and then nothing. All I can say is, your body tends to have its own agenda. To this day I will blimp up for no good reason for a week or two, then it will drop off. (And I'm way past the obvious answer, enough said.) Also, very consistently, I will weigh a little heavier after a big exercise day, and there are all kinds of explanations for that.

It will probably sort itself out soon and you'll start seeing more predictable results, but I think everybody on here goes through those spells. Shame you haven't gotten a big initial drop, though, it's a morale booster, for sure.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #325
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: raanai
Stats: 143/140/125
Start Date: January 2014
Martha, exactly! I see and hear and read of so many people really getting great first few week progress and it really inspired me to give it a go. I've never "had" to diet but we are going on a cruise in 6 weeks and I've slowly been gaining the last few weeks, so I decided the cruise was great motivation to jump in with both feet.

One other thing... i'm a grazer by nature (just nibble on snacks on and off all day) so I really really really miss that. I try little bits of cheese but it doesn't seem to keep me from wanting that little tasty "bite" every 10 minutes. I am not hungry, so I don't need to do it, but when in those moods, what might be a good substitute?
raanai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #326
Major LCF Poster!

raanai, the first thing I would do is check your vegetable list. Are you eating only the veggies on the allowed induction list. Carrots are fairly high in carbs and I see that you listed those. For me, I would stick to the meat, eggs, cheese, and fats for now, and then slowly add the veggies back in later on to see what your body tolerates. You also said that you just started exercising. Exercise is GREAT for your overall health and for tightening and toning, but doesn't always reflect in scale losses. Especially if you've just started exercising, you are most likely retaining water from the added exercise. Give it time and the losses will show.

Started Induction 2/22/13 at 300.6
Mini Goals ~
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It!!
225 ~ Halfway There. 75 Down, 75 To Go! MADE IT! In just under 6 months!
199 ~ Onderland Here I Come! Made It!! 11/7/13
166 ~ No Longer Obese - Made it 3/14/14
Old 02-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #327
Major LCF Poster!

For the munchies, maybe try pork rinds, or deviled eggs. Those both work great!
Old 02-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #328
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JustJessie
Stats: ?/163.5/135 (5'0"/39 yo)
Start Date: 01/27/2014
Ok my experienced dieters I know this may not be the correct forum but I just cant see me cooking all this food and continuing on this path but it seems like everyday I am stuck in the kitchen cooking, cleaning, dishes etc and I am really not great at cooking. Is there a way to safely go off the diet without gaining a lot of weight. DO you think if I transferred to Weight Watchers I would be ok? Im afraid with all this fat I am eating and to switch up it may be bad.
JustJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #329
Major LCF Poster!

Jessie, you don't have to spend a bunch of time in the kitchen. I definitely don't. I work 12 hours day, 6 days a week. On my one day off each week, I spend a couple of hours in the kitchen prepping everything for the week. Grating cheese, cutting veggies, boiling eggs, making deviled eggs, making cheese crackers, etc. For dinner, almost every night, we throw some meat on the grill and I make a veggie for my BF to go with it. Takes maybe 10 minutes tops. You really don't have to be a slave to the kitchen to do this.

If you want to switch to WW, you probably will initially have a gain, because you may retain some water once you add carbs back in, but after that you should start losing again. I don't think you'll do any harm if you prefer WW, but you don't want to make a habit of switching back and forth, because I don't think that would be healthy for you.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 02-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #330
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JustJessie
Stats: ?/163.5/135 (5'0"/39 yo)
Start Date: 01/27/2014
Thank you. I was looking to prepare a menu for next week and all these recipes sem like they take so many ingredients and work. I am the worst in the kitchen I get tired/bored/sidetracked and will just quit in the middle and I am tired of all the same things. Are cheese crackers just the cheese in the micro? do you make them ahead of time? I am trying to cut my cheese down too I think i am eating too much. but just wondering if they are ok to make ahead and refrigerate? Still trying to work this out so whatever I do I am prepared on Monday!