Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KashaUK2000
How can you make water more palatable?

Title says it...

I'm a Diet Coke addict but my understanding is that caffeine may be detrimental to diets like Atkins, also I'd rather like to cut-down on the Aspartame, so I really need to drink water...it's just so unpalatable. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I'm not a fan of water, and even when filtered water here tastes horrible.

I've tried decaf iced tea but for whatever reason it always tastes too strong. I've tried fruity or herbal teas, but I've always found these taste like soap so not appealing. I've tried sugar-free squash but the carbs are still not ideal and it's difficult to find ones without Sucralose (I have a bad reaction to this sweetener). I've tried flavouring water with fruit but it's too expensive. I'm in the UK so nothing like Crystal Light (although I'm going to the US in October so might grab some then, and use gradually less to get me used to water).

Any other suggestions?
KashaUK2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
For me I can't use the crystal light etc for some weird reason it causes my bladder to Hurt. I just had to make it a Habit to drink water. The colder the better. My Mom says she drinks more if she's sipping it through a straw. I use the Reusable water bottles and keep filling it up, stick it in the freezer for awhile then repeat Lol
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/199/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart: October 17, 2014
Have you tried sparkling water or club soda with a slice of lemon or lime? That's a fave for me. You can also make your own ice teas out of herbal or regular teas and sweeten to taste with a sweetener you can tolerate.

I generally do like my water though. Sometimes in the morning if I'm not hungry enough for breakfast, I will start with a mug of hot water with lemon.
Kaillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoSunNoFun
Stats: 157.5/146.0/135.0 (5'3)
Start Date: 8-10-2014
I buy unsweetend coolaid. I like my water tart, so I buy pink lemonaid or lemon.
I add some sprinkles and lots of ice No sugar sub added for me and... its fab!
NoSunNoFun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: evertd
Stats: 238.5/232.5/180
Start Date: 09/10/2013
Like anything else, drinking water can become a habit, just give it a chance.

For me, natural spring water (yes, it will cost some money), colder is better, and for some weird reason, I prefer drinking from bottles over drinking from a glass. 2

I drink a LOT of liquid during the day, I try to get to 80oz+ of water, 3 or 4 cups of coffee and 2 or 3 20oz bottles of diet coke. (Yes, I know, not supposed to use caffeine or aspartame. But I figure as long as it doesn't spike my blood sugar, I'm good with it).
evertd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:22 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ValidRouge
Stats: 256/232.4/180
Start Date: Restart 7/7/2013
I found some unsweetened flavor for the soda stream machine at Walmart. It comes with 3 tiny bottles of lemon, lime and raspberry flavors. When you add them to water, it adds just an *essence* of the flavor without any sweetner at all. I like this because the artificial sweeteners taste funny to me and I really prefer unsweetened beverages (same for my coffee). Plus the slight flavors are a little more refreshing. I originally got the idea from the 'Hint' brand of bottled water that has various unsweetened flavored waters--but they are expensive.
ValidRouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tiggy
Stats: 84.6kg/76.8kg/60kg
Start Date: 3 March 2013
Kasha,
you can get Crystal Light and unsweetened Koolaid from the website, americansweets.co.uk. I bought loads when I used up my stash I bought from the US. They also have these small liquid bottles similar to CL, Mio or something like that which are really handy. I think they might be out of them right now. You'd still be better off to buy loads when you are over there visiting as it is cheaper but at least you have a source here!

And if you've seen Rotel in any recipes on here (chopped tomatoes with chillies), that site sells them too!

From a fellow member of the "I can't live without diet Dr Pepper but know I should drink water" club
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:43 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
Get used to it! lol
I hated water until a few years ago when I was trying to lose, but after a while it grew on me, it does help of it's nice and cold, even better if filtered. 18p gets you 2l from Morrison's, or Tesco, buy a load and put em in the fridge. I however sometimes still use no sugar cordial/squash and it doesn't have any ill effects on my losses ( I don't think)
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bonny-Jean
Stats: 5'4" 228 /147.8 / 138
WOE: Atkins '72 Extended Induction!
Start Date: Sept 16, 2013
MIO... M-I-O. I hated water my whole life now that I discoverd MIO, I'm drinking 10-12 cups a day!!
Bonny-Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JessHas3Cuties
Stats: 312.4/292.0/180 (5'9")
WOE: Low Carb, counting calories, exercise and H20
Start Date: 9/23/13
Try slicing cucumber and sliding it into your pitcher of water or into your glass. It adds such a fresh, spa-like flavor, and it's really a nice change to plain water. Not artificially-sweet, but enough flavor to be very good!
JessHas3Cuties is offline   Reply With Quote