Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: akire
Cost of food

Hello all. I'm new and this is my first post but I was wondering about how much would it cost per month to do a low carb diet for one person. I was on the south beach diet years ago and lost a ton of weight so I know this works but I had a better job then and I didn't calculate what I was spending on food.
akire is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
A lot depends on your local stores, their specials and what you're willing to eat.
For just a few $$, you can cook a pound of ground beef with a bag of frozen spinach, add some cheese or broth and get 3 meals out of it.
Tuna and eggs are fairly inexpensive.
Frozen veggies on sale are a real bargain (spinach, cauliflower, green beans, okra, broccoli).
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
It really depends on your area, and how austere you're willing to be. I eat very well, but I have certain shopping rules for myself.

Unless I'm buying for a special occasion meal, I only buy meat on sale. Period. I will sometimes splurge on higher priced meats or seafood (like wild salmon or ribeyes), but they still have to be on sale. Even when I'm in the mood for a certain meat, I won't buy it if it's not on sale. That's my line in the sand. I have a chest freezer, which helps, because I can stock up on certain foods when the sales are good. I also buy the family packs of meat and separate them into serving sizes and freeze them when I get home.

I also stock up on frozen vegetables when they go on sale, so that I can have them when produce isn't as cheap. I also try to buy and eat produce in season, and therefore when it's cheaper, but I'm not as strict with that. I also try to buy things like cheeses and butter on sale. Eggs too. They all last quite a long time, so there's no reason not to.

There is a sticky thread in the main lobby with lots of tips about eating LC on a budget.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: erinmarie
Stats: 137/118/ 110
WOE: Modified Atkins/ vlc/frankenfood free
Start Date: last start 8/11, restart 7/28/13
Low carb doesn't HAVE to be expensive but it CAN be get creative but on sale and avoid specialty Atkins bars and the like and it's doable. My family spends less now than on high carb... But we have eliminated chips cookies crackers sodas etc... No junk everything made from scratch and rarely do w dine out... That's just our choice.. I agree check out the sticky in the Lobby "eating within your low carb budget"
erinmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kaillean
Stats: 209.5/200.5/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 3, 2013
I am eating better and saving money. No more nightly $5-$6 trips to 7-11 for treats at night. No more processed food or anything that comes out of a box. Am eating organic and medication free meat.

I do not do LC substitute products, though, or Atkins bars and the like, so that really helps to keep costs down.

Also when I am LCing, we will eat out once every couple of weeks, instead of two times per week. And the alcohol bill goes WAY down, too.

Last edited by Kaillean; 09-08-2013 at 12:54 PM..
Kaillean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
My alcohol bill hit zero 13 days ago, and it's staying there for the foreseeable future! I live on a very tight budget when I'm at home (which I'm not at the moment, I'm at my Dad's) - I eat a lot of eggs (fried, scrambled, omelettes, hard boiled, in quiches mostly), lots of minced (ground) beef - the fattier the better (meatballs, sheekh kebabs, keema curry, moussaka). Cheap fish like whiting and mackerel, produce from Lidl, cheese, cream and yoghurt ditto.

I find it's cheaper to eat low carb because my appetite shrinks, so most days I only have brunch and dinner. Here at Dad's the food budget is more generous, so we have things like steak once a week, and there's usually smoked salmon (which isn't that expensive really) in the fridge - but we still have some budget meals like tonight's stewing steak and kidney casserole, and the cheese, bacon and onion quiche I made earlier.

I don't (and haven't in the past 20 years) buy processed foods - partly because they're more expensive than cooking from scratch, and partly because I don't like eating things with ingredients I don't recognise!
WC Fields
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jdmakeit2hot
Stats: 195/189/160
Start Date: 9/23/2013
So far it's not expensive, unless I make something that turns out gross.

*meat- I buy on sale/reduced. chicken,beef,pork,any meat!

*Veggies- frozen is almost always super cheap. For fresh veggies I buy only what will last me for the next coupled days other wise it will go bad before I eat it.

*eggs- The 5dozen pack at walmart is only $8

*cheese- shredded, I buy the big bag from a generic brand. Sliced , I buy whatever is cheap but will keep my taste buds happy.

*drinks- I mainly drink tea. I buy a big family pack and boil it every night, a gallons worth of tea. That comes out to $0.15 per gallon of tea!
jdmakeit2hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BigBuck16
Stats: 220ish/215/180
Start Date: jan '01 back at it sept.'13
[QUOTE=Darkginger;16603121]My alcohol bill hit zero 13 days ago, and it's staying there for the foreseeable future!

sucks knowing there's zero carbs in str8 alcohol. although it stops the ketosis process till flushed out.

I bought a 1/3 cow and have beef up the yingyang but it's lean cuts and definitely will save me in the long run
BigBuck16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SkinnyB212
Stats: 5'5 200/*150*/125
WOE: Atkins, South Beach, Smoothie
Start Date: August 1, 2013!
Eating low carb on a budget

Target has lots of meats & vegetables that are inexpensive:
- Six 4oz Chicken breasts stuffed with asparagus ($10) *3 meals
- Two 6oz steaks stuffed with spinach ($10) *2 meals
- Four bacon wrapped 4oz chicken or steak ($12) *2 meals
- Red Bull Zero (4 pack) ($12) *afternoon pick me up!
- Nestlé Semi Sweet chocolate chips (8 chips just 4g carbs)
(After dinner treat with coffee & heavy whipped cream)

...I am shopping for my family of four, but tallying just my items, I would say I spend about $100 a week.
SkinnyB212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margn
Stats: 186.8/153.4/140
Start Date: June 29,2013
I buy for 1 and so far my monthly food on atkins usually runs me $150-$200 a month. But I buy organic veggies steak , chops, lamb,and chicken
margn is offline   Reply With Quote