Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: DHoward12Fan
Stats: 227/227/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 01,2013 (restart)
Newbie!! (again)

Hey all. I'm jen. Re-starting this Atkins thing after a few years off. I was recently following the new Weight Watchers Points Plus plan, but I found it WAY too easy to cheat and eat 12 brownies for my daily points and eat nothing else all day! I need some structure in my life... at least for a bit!

So I actually started about a week ago. I'm in ketosis (large according to the keto stix) however I have yet to see any weight come off. Is this normal?

I remember losing quite a bit when I was on Atkins before, but don't remember how long it took to actually start seeing the scale move!! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and good luck all!
DHoward12Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Qwisp
Stats: 5'7 214/214/175
Start Date: Started 08/10/13
I could have written the post above (almost) I was on Atkins about ten years ago and lost a lot of weight. I too am starting again almost ten years to the day I last started. I'm not sure I would be low-carbing again except I quit smoking almost 10 months ago and my weight is really starting to creep up. I was finally comfortable in my own chubby skin, but now that I quit smoking my clothes are getting tight and my blood work is getting wonky. My snoring is also out of control. I think my husband is getting really annoyed, even though the darling man teases me more about it than any thing else. It makes me want to start up the smoking habit again

I have been eating like a pigglet all day, it's almost bedtime so hopefully I can make it, but I already have a bad case of induction flu.

Hopefully we can both get to goal!
Qwisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
I also started over again on Monday, August 5th, and I'm finally into ketosis as of yesterday. It was a bit rough the first three days. Stick with it - it can take time for the weight loss to start.

A few tips:

- Be sure you're not eating too much protein. Studies have shown that in the absence of carbs your body will convert protein to glycogen, which can mess up your ketosis (and result in a lack of weight loss). I stalled out last fall and finally got losing again by going to nutritional ketosis - keeping carbs low, protein moderate and fat high. There's some good information on calculating proper protein intake here.

- Measure everything. Don't trust your ability to eyeball servings for the first few weeks.

- Eat coconut oil - it really helps with the Atkins flu. I wouldn't have made it through this week without it. Now that you're burning fat instead of sugar, your body will use it immediately for quick energy, and it can rev up the metabolism. If you can tolerate it, eat 2-3 TB per day. If you haven't tried it before, start at a lower level (say, 1 tsp at a time) then work up to that level.

Good luck!
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote