Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bri79
WOE: ATKINS < 20 grams per day
Start Date: 7/24/13
End of induction and the scale is stuck

Hello,

Today is day 14 for me and I have lost 13 lbs, but for the last 5 days the scale hasn't moved. I am eating <10 carbs per day and have not cheated at all. Ive been using the Ketostix and they are always showing moderate. I am new to this and getting very discouraged. Please help!!
Bri79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chyrie
Stats: 214/198/115
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 6/14/2014
My first thought is: Are you eating enough fat? We are all conditioned to think fat is in the enemy and one of the things we need to change when we low carb is to eat a lot more.
Chyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
What other healthy diet can give you almost a pound a day of loss?

Your body is catching up after your first 10 days of terrific losses. It happens to many of us.

Keep calm and carry on.

Practice eating to satisfaction and not beyond. Use this pause as a time to find satisfying, appropriate meals that you enjoy.

Examine your food choices and see if there are things you'd like to adjust.
Sometimes we eat a lot of gooey foods at the beginning because we're thrilled that cheese and cream and sour cream are allowed. Perhaps now is the time to see if you can rotate your more involved meals with a fresh, simple salad with good protein and fat. Maybe you'd like to practice cutting back on artificial sweeteners, as our tastes change when we get accustomed to good, non-carby foods. But remember, this is not a low fat diet, so please don't decide to do without good fats from meats, healthy oils, and dairy.

Congrats on your progress so far.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
Holy cow.

You lost 13 lbs in 14 days and feeling discouraged??

I don't even know what to say!
That's a HUGE loss !

I have been on plan since June 20, and I haven't lost 13lbs yet.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Noangelny
Stats: 245.2/233.4/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 15, 2013
13 lbs in 2 weeks is a huge loss. I'm on week 3 and down 12.1
some days I'm up and some down. No other diet will give you these results
Just stick with it!
Noangelny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Everyone! I think I just got used to losing everyday and I was getting dicouraged, like I'm doing something wrong.

Here is a sample menu and I basically eat the same stuff everyday. Please give me suggestions.

B - 2-3 scrambled eggs with lots of butter
L - Spinach salad with HB Eggs, Mozz cheese, blue cheese crumbles, just a couple green onions, a little ham, bacon and 2 TBSP Ken's ranch dressing
D - Steak, chicken or pork chop

I only drink water and cut out all caffeine 2 weeks ago. No Artifical sweetners.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
I suggest writing down your daily weight as an informational tool- not a number - and then your average for the week would be your weight. So add all 7 weights then divide by 7.
It can be helpful to plot them on a graph to see the downward trend. It's never just straight down.
There are a few great threads around about why the scale lies.

I don't know how much weight you have to lose, but usually the less you have to lose, the slower the loss.

Your menu looks good, I would just encourage you to be careful with the "tons" of butter. And lots of cheese. Cheese, nuts, and dressings are items that you would be better off measuring than eyeballing.

Do you have veg at supper? Maybe some roasted broccoli or do up a batch of kale chips and munch on them as your evening snack (just kale or baby spinach, dry, on parchment, spritzed with oil and sea salt, and seasoning if you like) bake until light brown. It's crispy, crumbly, yummy, and rich due to the oil .

If you're craving, a really decadent recipe is just zucchini rondelles, as thin as you can make them. Fry in a bit of oil until crisp, salt it up & serve with 3 cheese ranch. Very satisfying.

Keep up the good work!
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri79 View Post
Thanks Everyone! I think I just got used to losing everyday and I was getting dicouraged, like I'm doing something wrong.

Here is a sample menu and I basically eat the same stuff everyday. Please give me suggestions.

B - 2-3 scrambled eggs with lots of butter
L - Spinach salad with HB Eggs, Mozz cheese, blue cheese crumbles, just a couple green onions, a little ham, bacon and 2 TBSP Ken's ranch dressing
D - Steak, chicken or pork chop

I only drink water and cut out all caffeine 2 weeks ago. No Artifical sweetners.
Fat satisfies appetite. How much is needed is very individualized. I'm coming to realize that what's good for one may not be right for another. All I can suggest is that you practice listening to your true appetite, and craft your meals so that you are full but not stuffed, and that you stay satisfied until the next reasonable meal time.

For me, I usually get something like a tbl of butter, 1 1/2 tbl olive oil, and the fats from gleefully fatty meat---chicken thigh with skin, nicely marbled steak, or something leaner with added fat (4 oz white meat chicken made into chicken salad including a tbl of mayo). If I eat cheese, I back off a little on the butter, unless my appetite says I should have both. So 4 or 5 servings of fat a day for me, as a guideline.

Another thing about fat is that we should be burning body fat when everything comes together for us on this way of eating. If you're not hungry, it is a signal that you are burning body fat and are getting energy from that, so you can back off of the dietary fat if your appetite is low. Think of it as two sources of fuel--- what the mouth sees, and what we're burning from body stores. Both count towards the total.

The only things else I see is that your breakfast is a bit small. Maybe you're not a big breakfast person, and that's fine. But if you want, you could add a bit to breakfast--- I like an egg with a small burger patty for breakfast, or some chicken salad with a piece of bacon all in a lettuce leaf. And i'd be bummed if I didn't get any veggies with dinner. Have 1/2 to 1 cup cooked veggies or a small salad if you want it. If you don't have carb room for it, that means you need to examine your intake of cheese/trace carbs from deli meats, cream, etc.

Last edited by emel; 08-08-2013 at 06:50 PM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #9

Just realized how counter-intuitive my post sounded. It's funny stuff---sometimes slowing down in losses is from not eating enough. Sometimes it's from eating too much. Regardless, I think you're doing fine.

Keep calm and carry on. I wish you luck and satisfaction. You can do this. Stay mindful.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #10

Oh snap. Sorry for the triple post, but I was just looking upthread and saw that you cut out caffeine recently. I bet that your losses will recover to a pretty good clip after you've adjusted to that big change.

Although I've switched over to decaf for the majority of my coffee, you'd have to pry my remaining cup of caffeinated from my cold dead fingers. Caffeine-cutting definitely monkeys with the workings of your body. Stay decaffeinated if you wish to, but be aware that cutting it off could be the reason for your temporary slow down. It will pass.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Thank you so much everyone for your input. The scale started moving again and I am down another 2 lbs for a total of 15 lbs. I just realized I have never lost this much weight in this amount of time and I have never felt so good doing it - so I just need to be happy
Old 08-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
Fat satisfies appetite. How much is needed is very individualized. I'm coming to realize that what's good for one may not be right for another. All I can suggest is that you practice listening to your true appetite, and craft your meals so that you are full but not stuffed, and that you stay satisfied until the next reasonable meal time.

For me, I usually get something like a tbl of butter, 1 1/2 tbl olive oil, and the fats from gleefully fatty meat---chicken thigh with skin, nicely marbled steak, or something leaner with added fat (4 oz white meat chicken made into chicken salad including a tbl of mayo). If I eat cheese, I back off a little on the butter, unless my appetite says I should have both. So 4 or 5 servings of fat a day for me, as a guideline.

Another thing about fat is that we should be burning body fat when everything comes together for us on this way of eating. If you're not hungry, it is a signal that you are burning body fat and are getting energy from that, so you can back off of the dietary fat if your appetite is low. Think of it as two sources of fuel--- what the mouth sees, and what we're burning from body stores. Both count towards the total.

The only things else I see is that your breakfast is a bit small. Maybe you're not a big breakfast person, and that's fine. But if you want, you could add a bit to breakfast--- I like an egg with a small burger patty for breakfast, or some chicken salad with a piece of bacon all in a lettuce leaf. And i'd be bummed if I didn't get any veggies with dinner. Have 1/2 to 1 cup cooked veggies or a small salad if you want it. If you don't have carb room for it, that means you need to examine your intake of cheese/trace carbs from deli meats, cream, etc.
Emel
Hope the OP doesn't mind my thread-jack, but can you elaborate on the bolded. Unfortunately, I am finding that if I am never hungry I maintain my weight easily but don't lose pounds.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #13

One point--The last pounds are slow for me. I think you may be getting close to ideal weight. It may be more of a slow downward trend from now on.

My point, which you bolded above--- is that one reason for low appetite is satiation through body fat burning.
You're saying that you have to be hungry to lose weight?
That's odd to me. Could you look at your fat, protein, and carbs and see if they need adjusting? Or could you try a mostly fat serving if you're hungry, like adding a cup of broth with butter and a touch of heavy cream in it? That would be either as part of a meal along with your usual food, or as a between meal boost if you find yourself hungry.

I seem to lose better when I'm satiated but not stuffed.
So

Last edited by emel; 08-12-2013 at 12:22 PM..
Old 08-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
I am just starting to add in a few veggies carbs as I think I need them due to not being able to sleep well. Perhaps this will add a few calories and volume to my diet as well. I eat very little in the way of veggies and really don't miss them all that much. Tonight I am going to a friends house for dinner and I am bringing the salad so dinner with veggies carbs will be a test tonight, it will be interesting to see if I am more sated and sleep better. I don't wake hungry I just toss and turn a lot and wake at the crack of dawn unable to get back to sleep which is wearing me down. I do remember in the past just being tired in itself made me feel more hungry. I don't walk around starving by any means but if I don't go to bed mildly hungry I will maintain my weight and I have also noticed a pattern of a drop in weight after a period of being hungrier than normal.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cb83
Stats: 302/262.6/245
WOE: Induction my way
Start Date: 3.13.13
You can always stay on induction also if needed

1/2 avocado per day and extra veggies got me out if one stall, and they keep you moving down south. Ahem.
cb83 is online now   Reply With Quote