Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   Low Carb Electrolyte Replacement? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/809261-low-carb-electrolyte-replacement.html)

JudyMS 08-01-2013 12:05 PM

Low Carb Electrolyte Replacement?

Got a question I hope someone can help me with! My 28 year old son is trying hard to lose weight along with me...but he works as a mechanic in a non-air conditioned garage and we live in the deep south where it's quite hot in the summer...humidity doesn't help. He has to hydrate throughout the day, and drinks tons of water, but sometimes he feels his electrolytes are low. What can he do to keep from blowing induction...any drink recommendations?

Ntombi 08-01-2013 12:14 PM

There are a lot of sugar free electrolye replacement drinks, including some that are made by the big names, like vitamin water and Gatorade. There are also electrolye tablets that can be added to water, but he'd have to make sure those are sugar free as well.

MtherGoos 08-01-2013 02:00 PM

My son has been drinking the PowerAde that is sugar free. I can't remember exactly what they call it, but it has the least amount of carbs that I've found. Works great for him, but like Ntombi said, there's several different brands so he can find one he likes.

princessmommy 08-01-2013 06:47 PM

Powerade Zero is really LC. My husband drinks it at work! It's Super hot where he works

JudyMS 08-03-2013 04:21 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I didn't even know they made sugar-free versions of those drinks. This will help a LOT! Thanks again!

thatphdguy 08-03-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessmommy (Post 16541576)
Powerade Zero is really LC. My husband drinks it at work! It's Super hot where he works

I drink Powerade Zero as well...It works wonders

GME 08-03-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatphdguy (Post 16543671)
I drink Powerade Zero as well...It works wonders

Me too. I like strawberry the best.

Natalia 08-03-2013 02:20 PM

Yes, powerade and Gatorade zero and can even be purchased by the case at Costco.

I have also seen recipes for homemade pedialyte so you could probs doctor something up.

Finally, you know those squeezie water enhanced like mio?
You can get MIO or generic "sports" with electrolyte replacements.
They are SF and taste good.

My hub is an auto tech too and it's soooo hot at his work. He brings a large water bottle with squeeze SF mio sport every afternoon.

1nduc710n 08-05-2013 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalia (Post 16544042)
Yes, powerade and Gatorade zero and can even be purchased by the case at Costco.

I have also seen recipes for homemade pedialyte so you could probs doctor something up.

Finally, you know those squeezie water enhanced like mio?
You can get MIO or generic "sports" with electrolyte replacements.
They are SF and taste good.

My hub is an auto tech too and it's soooo hot at his work. He brings a large water bottle with squeeze SF mio sport every afternoon.

+1 for MiO Fit. There are two flavors out right now, berry and grape, with more on the way. I like it better than powerade zero because you can customize your drink to be as "strong" as you like. I think some of the pre-packaged zero calorie sports drinks taste too sweet ever since I stopped eating/drinking sugar.

Natalia 08-06-2013 09:07 AM

Induc71on-
Walmart in the states have a Great Value mio sport, flavour is blue raspberry (think slush puppies) not bad !

Kiley2801 08-13-2013 07:34 AM

SmartWater!

williamson_ja 08-15-2013 10:50 AM

Not a drink per say, but a way to make sure you have enough electrolytes is to eat celery and cucumber. They are both full of all the right stuff, and not artificial. When I was running a lot, I would juice celery to drink right after a run just for this. Eating it does the same thing, but juicing gets more of it into you quicker. It's not as gross as it sounds either. :)

MissBeeps 08-22-2013 06:26 PM

I agree with Kiley2801, Smartwater! No artificial colors or sweeteners. And of course, bone broth when at home.

Rebecca1979 10-19-2013 11:27 AM

Thanks for this thread!

Arctic_Mama 10-21-2013 12:04 PM

I tend to drink koolaid or iced tea and just consume it with some seaweed for minerals. There are gatoraid recipes you can make, but I find salt in my drinks is disgusting, so I'd rather just eat some nori or nuts with my refreshing drink instead of try and drink my electrolytes (which is less effective, anyway).

Bonny-Jean 10-21-2013 06:37 PM

MIO.. MIO ... MIO. What a great taste. They have "sport" drinks with electrolytes. O carbs, 0 sugar and sure makes water so much easier to drink. My favorite is Arctic Grape. Try it!!