Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Emtems
Stats: 216/189/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Boyfriend's first time on Induction help

Hi Everyone,

I've recently started up Atkins again after not following a low carb lifestyle for several months. My boyfriend and I have gotten very comfortable with each other and both of us have gained a good amount of weight because of this. We've tried a lot of different diets that just aren't sustainable in the long run. So I suggested we try Atkins together because its the one diet where I never really felt deprived and I lost a good amount of weight. He got on board with me and we're currently in the middle of our 2nd week of induction. Unfortunately my boyfriend pulled a nerve in his back the first day of induction and had to go to the urgent care where he was prescribed very strong pain killers and muscle relaxers. He's doing a lot better since the beginning of this week. But for that first week he was basically immobile and had to keep popping his pills for the pain. Anyway, he's really not losing a significant amount of weight at all especially for someone his weight and this being his first time on induction, and he's worried Atkins just doesn't work for him. We are eating everything that's allowed the induction food list and drinking a lot of water. So I'm not sure what could be causing him not to lose more. I was thinking maybe could it be all of the pain killers and muscle relaxers he was having to take the first week and his body is just focused on healing his back and getting the pills out of his system? He also has Atkins Shakes for his breakfast sometimes so I was wondering if those were stalling him as I've read some people have problems with Atkin's products. He had a little pack of baby carrots at work as well once because he forgot that I told him to avoid high starch/sugary vegetables. But I wouldn't think a few little carrots would prevent him from losing so much.

Here's a sample of what we would have on a typical day:
B-2 eggs 3-4 slices of bacon (organic eggs-uncured natural bacon)
L-Caesar salad with ken's dressing w/some Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top
and some leftover meat from the night before (chicken, steak, pork)
D- Rotisserie chicken with cauliflower mashed potatoes
Snacks could include: pork rinds, no sugar jello with sugar free whipped cream on top, salami slices, and cheese slices

We know to read all the labels with what we buy and consume and keep an eye out for hidden carbs. So as far as I know we're eating pretty clean.

If anyone out there has any insight, tips, or advice I would love to hear them and greatly appreciate it! I hope that he won't give up on it because its great having his support and I think it could work for him if he sticks to it. Thanks for taking the time to read
Emtems is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
For some people, the shakes do stall them. Sugar free jello stalls some people too. If he's not losing, you might want to cut those things out and see if it helps.

Having said that, he definitely could be retaining water as his body tries to heal and the painkillers could be causing him to retain water too.

I would have him stick to it as good as he can while healing, and once he's 100%, have him do a very strict induction and see what happens.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: easwann
Stats: was 240lbs am 198 lbs
WOE: Peace, meat, water, and eggs!
Start Date: learning everyday
I have a bad back and take a lot of medication, but I havent found it stalled me... the atkins products on the other hand... LOL!!! Just tell him to hang in there.. he'll have a big drop once his body realizes he is serious!!

Good luck to the both of you, my Hubs and and I do it together and it makes it much easier!!
easwann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
Hi there,
I have to take many drugs( including several that many insist cause weight gain) and have not noticed an issue.
I take narcotics daily as well and have never, ever heard of them stalling someone. The filler has no sugar and the mechanism of action should not trigger problems with insulin at all.
What they can do is make your digestive system sluggish, ESP in people who don't normally take painkillers. Not to be gross, but could he be constipated and retaining waste?
If so I suggest senna laxative or magnesium based laxative and to keep fiber fairly low.

Important:: stool softeners, psyllium based, fiber based, prune, none of these help with opiate based constipation. They make it worse.

Another suggestion: is it possible he is eating while at work and you don't know about it? All it takes is a coke or chocolate bar to kick him out of ketosis and then weight loss would be slow.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Emtems
Stats: 216/189/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Thank you for all of the replies! He loves this way of eating so far and he is going to stick with it. He noticed that after he didn't take his muscle relaxers/painkillers for a couple of days he lost a pound. So it seems like that might be the culprit. He definitely has had constipation issues due to the painkillers as well so I'm sure that's not helping. He's not cheating because he's kind of a perfectionist like me and is trying to go by the book as much as possible. The baby carrot incident had him really upset (lol) but I told him I'm sure it's not going to be detrimental to is weight loss. He understands now that as this is a lifestyle change a 1-2 lb weight loss a week is a great accomplishment. Again thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply. It means a lot to both of us. Good luck to all of you as well in your weight loss endeavors!
Emtems is offline   Reply With Quote