Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 02:50 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jphoward49
Stats: 170/162.6/128 (AI start wt 164.6)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 25 July 2013
Turning my life around--Newbie

Hi, my name is Jacqueline Patrice (or JP for short). I'm a 49-years old and just entering that blissful stage (insert sarcasm) known as perimenopause. Four things have worked against me to turn me from a nearly 20-plus year sustained 118-125 pound weight range to a fat (bordering on obese for my 5'7" frame) 170-pound blob over the fast few years; retirement from a mentally/physically demanding career (though that hit 8 years ago), age (which I have no way halting, sadly), followed by a referral from my primary MD to an Endo who insisted I stop Atkins and take statins (for my hereditary high cholesterol) and finally being put on bio-identical HRT. (Side note: I'd eaten Atkins' style, way before I even knew what it was called, because as a chubby prepubescent my mother finally took charge of my diet and stopped me from having access to any starches and most, if not all, sweets in order to help me trim down. It just so happens I continued to eat that way most of my adult life because I felt better and looked better too. Funny though I can still remember to this very day how crappy I felt from carb withdrawal for those first few weeks as a kid, even some 30-years later!)

Honestly, the weight really starting creeping on as soon as I ditched LCarb'ing and began following the recommended food pyramid with all those starches included, despite watching my caloric intake, maintaining portion control and continuing to exercise (though not as intensely as while in the military). The pounds just kept adding up and I started to feel older than my age. So much so that I've routinely complained to my Endo over the years, even before the onset of perimenopause, that I just was tired all the time as well as moody...not to mention getting fatter and fatter. Her answer was B-12 shots, Vit-D supplements, a daily dose of antidepressants and stepping up my activity once she ruled out my thyroid as the problem. (Lovely more meds, more blah feelings.)

So last week during another doctor's appointment, when my routine CBC panel showed an A1C reading of high and my fasting BG at 135--not to mention her wanting to up the statin dose, yet again, for cholesterol because my ratios were still atrocious--I'd had enough. That information (given diabetes, as well as high cholesterol, run in my family despite no one being overweight but me now) was the final slap upside the head moment that it was time to get off this runaway train. I was going back to Atkins and I told her so. She was a little less resistant to the idea this time around as obviously her way of thinking wasn't jiving with my body becoming any healthier.

Thus here I am...reading DANDR, taking notes as I get my arms around the basics of it again, and making a commitment to reverse the downward spiral of my physical self within the next 6-7 months as I hit the half-century age milestone. My goals are: shed 40-lbs., slowly incorporate anaerobic exercise back into my routine as my stamina improves, step up my aerobic game, be off statins completely (as well as the antidepressants) and for my fasting BG levels to be consistently below 95 (where it was early this morning). I'm officially starting Induction on 1 Aug, though I've already dropped 4 pounds since 25 July just by nixing the starches and refined sugars. I given myself a few more days of enjoying my strawberries/raspberries plants which are still bearing their bounty before I call it quits to them for however long I stay on Phase 1. In the meantime I'm also reading Dr. Bernstein's books to get a handle on the diabetes aspect as well as various other sources of information I'm finding on the Web, not to mention clearing out my pantry and making a list of recipes to use. (Though I don't mind leftovers and I'm clearly not a gourmet cook.)

Anywho, I look forward to this journey/transformation and watching the successes, as well as learning from the experiences, of others here as I too am in it to win.

Have a great one all, and thanks for stopping by.
jphoward49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2013, 03:25 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wyld614
Stats: 290/270/175
Start Date: 07-29-13
Welcome back! I am just starting again too (yesterday).

WE CAN DO THIS!
Wyld614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IndieKim
Stats: 202/163.8/130
WOE: Atkins-ish Low Carb
Start Date: 05/20??/2013
Welcome back!!!!

That food pyramid....*sigh*....well, just invert it and you're good to go IMO LOL...that's what I tell my son. He just graduated high school and is a science nerd. Took all the biology/chemistry classes offered and insists that I'll lose if I follow the pyramid and make carbs 60% of my diet. I'm like dude....I think I know what works! "but mom, the ADA says < insert blah blah blah >...." to which I reply, "I DON'T CARE!!!! I know what I'm DOING!!! and this scale don't lie, nor does the tape measure!" So I had to go over a few things his textbooks and teachers didn't...about insulin resistance, metabolic disorders, etc. He's finally quieted down, except to tell me the exercise I do (basically a daily brisk walk) won't do a thing - I need to do weights to see any result. Yeah yeah yeah....gah!

I'm down 31 - 32 pounds on Atkins, and am more or less on Induction through OWL.

May 20 2013 - 202 lbs - Waist: 38.5 - Hips: 45 - Thighs: 28

Sept 1 2013 - 167.2 lbs - Waist: 32.25 - Hips: 39.75 - Thighs: 24
IndieKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:07 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/163/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Welcome back!!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jphoward49
Stats: 170/162.6/128 (AI start wt 164.6)
Start Date: 25 July 2013
Thanks so much for the warm welcome: Wyld, KJ and Princess!

KJ: I laughed over your son's dog-with-a-bone determination (gotta science nerds) to "educate" you and your equally quick-witted "Dude, YGTBKM" response. Just hang onto your Atkins' books for when he hits his 30's and that enviable youthful metabolism starts to slow down!
jphoward49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Noangelny
Stats: 245.2/233.4/145
Start Date: July 15, 2013
I think you will do fine as long as you follow induction. I definitely had
carb withdrawal and felt crappy. I'm on week 3 now and feeling a lot better.
Everyone on here is very helpful, if you have a question ask. Good luck!

Ang-
Noangelny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
Welcome JP !!!
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote