Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Julianna
Stats: 188/170.8/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 22, 2013
Working Out

I went to the gym tonight and felt absolutely beat. I am only on day 8 of induction, so when should I expect my energy to be back? I can walk and ride my bike fine, but holy cow - 1 hour of personal training kicked my butt! (And, a little history - I've been working out with a trainer for a couple of years now. I normally am not this tired during a workout!)

So, any advice? Tips? Or knowledge of approximately when I should get my energy back?

Thanks!

Julianna
Julianna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2013, 01:11 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jphoward49
Stats: 170/162.6/128 (AI start wt 164.6)
Start Date: 25 July 2013
Hi Juliannna,

Little background on me: I'm new to the forum but not the LC'ing lifestyle. I just succumbed to my Endocrinologist's advice a few years ago to eat differently (he's anti-Atkins and I have hereditary high cholesterol) and, voila, packed on the pounds as a result. Of course I also discovered along the way that I'm extremely sensitive to gluten so I'm back to this WOE to shed the same weight as your goal states you are.

But I remember the "blues" of Induction well: the lethargy, the reduced desire to eat, etc. However you didn't mention any of those "symptoms" except to say you felt beat after your training session. Is that achy tired or just dead tired, as in I could keel over and sleep for days? If it's just dead tired, I'd say give yourself a full two weeks as that's generally what I remember reading here and feeling myself the last time I did this. However it could take a bit longer, depending on how carb-addicted you were and how quickly your body makes the transition--everyone's different. (No sense in recommending you ease back on your sessions and pamper yourself instead, even though I'm a proponent of listening to your body, because it's your lifestyle. Though I would caution you gently not to overdo it under my breath.) Regardless, one day soon you'll wake up and feel fantastic...like the off switch has been turned on.

If it's achy tired, I'd make sure I was getting enough potassium/sodium along with staying well hydrated to ensure you're flushing those ketones out of your system. I might also suggest Ibuprofen or the like to ease muscle pains. Of course deep sleep, in and of itself, is of optimum importance too. And if it were me, I'd up my protein intake and keep as close to 20gms of carbs from the approved list as possible to make sure I'm consuming enough calories to cover my activity level, especially since the body is now going through a transition and learning to use alternate sources of energy. (You don't want it robbing from muscles stores.) I threw that in because I often found myself not wanting to eat as much as the days wore on while doing Atkins--the fat kept me fuller--so I had to make sure I was consuming enough calories in whatever I did eat to prevent me from stalling, losing too quickly or feeling blech in general. Last thought? I'd try to eat a few hours before an intense routine (giving myself time to put the food to work to fuel it) and then again within an hour post-exercise to help replenish the glycogen.

I know there quite a few hard core exercisers on the board who'll chime in with more information and tips. Either way, I applaud your stamina and dedication as I'm no where as fit as your are--hence why I'll just continue walking/yoga during Induction as I don't think my 49-year-old self could handle anything more strenuous at the moment.

In closing...you rock on girl, it'll get better! Good luck!

Last edited by jphoward49; 07-30-2013 at 01:16 AM..
jphoward49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:12 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jphoward49
Stats: 170/162.6/128 (AI start wt 164.6)
Start Date: 25 July 2013
Sorry for the repetitive posts but the system timed out and wouldn't let me add:

I'm sure you already know all of the above, hopefully my recap will help you mentally tick off your checklist to make sure you've covered all the bases and help identify any gaps which might make this easier on you. I'm no expert on the sports physiology or the indepth biology/nutrition aspect related to exercise--other than what I learned from 20-years in the military doing daily physical training. (Lots of info has changed since then obviously so I'll stay tuned to this thread to see if I can pick up pointers too as I hope to step up my game as time marches on.)
jphoward49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
Hi Julianna,

Atkins typically has said not to exercise the first few weeks of induction, to give your body a chance to get accustomed to burning fatty acids for fuel instead of glucose

It depends on the person, but it generally takes between 2 and 6 weeks to become more efficient at burning fat, so I would keep it light until then.

You're used to tapping into your glycogen for extended cardio and you just depleted them.
Give yourself a bit of time.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eterprincess
Stats: 210/210/150
Start Date: 1/7/13
When I did atkins the first time, I found myself getting tired when dancing for the first week and a half to two weeks, then I started noticing I had more energy. For me it was increasing my fat intake, but everyone is different. But I would do light exercise for the first two weeks, give your body time to adjust to using fat as a fuel instead of Carbohydrates. then ease into your routines
eterprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Julianna
Stats: 188/170.8/140
Start Date: July 22, 2013
Thanks everyone! I think it is more feeling like I'm ready to keel over than achy tired. I must just not be ready yet for the high intensity workouts! I'll stick with walking and biking for another week.

Julianna
Julianna is offline   Reply With Quote