Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   Now What??? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/808563-now-what.html)

chrisdbassplayer 07-23-2013 09:14 AM

Now What???

Hey I am really confused on what is happening to me. In the past I have always lost like crazy on atkins induction. I started on the 29th of April. I started losing weight like crazy an average of 5 pounds per week and my grand total to date is 45 pounds. With that said, yes I agree that is great and I shouldnt be discouraged. But since my weight in on the 23rd of june I have only lost 4 pounds, today that has been a month. My weight has been going up and down from 304 -299 and there hasnt been any noticable varation in inches, I also take those measurments once a week. I eat exactly the same menu for the past 12 weeks. I keep under 20 total carbs not net carbs. I stay away from all artifical sweetners and caffeine, no diet soda, no tea. Only water for the last 12 weeks, I drink an average of 8 -16oz waters a day. Over the last 3 weeks I have started a workout program. First week I worked out 2 days 30 min, 20 min mile variating running and walking and warm up 5 min and cool down 5 min on a stationary bike. Then follow some light upper body strength training with 5 pound weights. This week I'm gonna try to work out every day 30 min at least. Im curerntly under 3000 calories a day I also work a very physical job that requires alot of walking and carrying and moving heavy objects. I come home every day soaking wet from sweat. Im really at a loss of what else I can do? Why all the sudden did the weight loss just stop dead and it seems the harder I work nothing is dropping off any thoughts on what to do?:help:

cb83 07-23-2013 12:32 PM

What's your menu look like? I'm sure someone can put in some advice.

I'm kind of hovering right now too, after about 35 lost. I got out of a month stall by adding 1/2 avocado and extra veggies. I also lift 4-5 days per week and do 30 min intense cardio on bike. I can tell I have more muscle though and clothes are looser. Hard to pinpoint losing fat and gaining muscle. I still can't find right macros.

margn 07-23-2013 01:12 PM

WOW, I'm impressed at the loss you have had so far. It is slow for alot of us, so do NOT be discouraged. It didn't take us a couple of months to gain it, so sometimes it takes longer to lose it when we get a little older than when we tried prior.

Patience 07-23-2013 01:19 PM

For some people intense exercise doesn't produce much weight loss. Just saying what I've been reading hereabouts. It may mean that you need to focus more on diet. Can you post your menus. I think the biggest thing is to be patient. It's hard but it seems to be the way forward.

I realize you are not a middle aged plus woman, but Dr Eades (the woman doctor) says in recent book that many women as they age find they can not work the weight off any more. She used her self as an example. I've found that to be true for me, I have to focus more on diet.

chrisdbassplayer 07-23-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cb83 (Post 16528067)
What's your menu look like? I'm sure someone can put in some advice.

I'm kind of hovering right now too, after about 35 lost. I got out of a month stall by adding 1/2 avocado and extra veggies. I also lift 4-5 days per week and do 30 min intense cardio on bike. I can tell I have more muscle though and clothes are looser. Hard to pinpoint losing fat and gaining muscle. I still can't find right macros.

Thanks maybe my body has gotten to used to the menu over the last 12 weeks. I'm not for change but if i can get restarted again that would be great not being stalled. I look at my graph and it has completely flattened out!

Aomiel 07-23-2013 03:19 PM

Chris,
Could you possibly be building some muscle? It wouldn't take much to offset any fat that you're losing. I've known people to actually gain a bit of weight (over the short term) from working out and building muscle and they weren't bodybuilders.

You've lost a lot of weight very quickly. It's possible your body is just taking a break. One thing I would do is take a look at your diet (assuming you've been recording what you eat). If you have, what do your numbers look like (total grams of protein, fat, etc.)

MtherGoos 07-24-2013 05:52 PM

Hi Chris,
I know it's incredibly frustrating, but I think it happens to a lot of us. Sometimes our bodies just slow down for a bit and don't want to lose, and then they'll start losing again. It's hard to be patient, and when we're working so hard at it, we want to see the results, but if you continue to work the plan diligently, the weight WILL start dropping.

Having said that, are some carbs maybe creeping in that you aren't noticing? Also, I know a lot of people have posted this already, but exercise isn't necessarily conducive to scale weight loss. It will help you tone, look better, and it's better for your overall health, but it isn't necessarily going to produce losses on the scale.

Natalia 07-24-2013 06:58 PM

Hi Chris:
A couple things. First, exercise doesnt always equal weight loss. In fact, for me, everytime I've done purposeful exercise (and not increased my calories) I have stalled. I have no idea why . Since you already have a physical job, why not ramp down the exercise? I have a feeling you are more frustrated than you would be for the slow loss because you are putting in so much effort.

2. You lost 45lbs!!!!!! People have plateaus. You could have a whoosh anytime.

3. How are your fat/ protein percentages? If your protein is high, then it can drive up your insulin. I am a slow loser but I lose best when my fats are high.
Try a week of having your fats at 75-80% and see what happens.

Good luck!

chrisdbassplayer 07-25-2013 09:48 AM

Thanks for the continuing encouragment and ideas! I have been racking my brain trying to think if anything has changed diet wise. I went ahead and decided to drop the workouts for the rest of the week. It doesnt seem to be helping other than adding to my frustration. today my weight hadnt really changed monday 299.4 to thursday 299.6

Food wise I eat exactly the same things every week for lunch and for dinner that I lost the 45 pounds. Same sleep schedule, same everything. I have been very militant about carbs.

Last time I did this I lost 40 pounds in 6 weeks and drank caffiene, tea and diet soda with sweet and low sweetner. Even had a 32 ounce sugar free slushy drink that I made every night with sugar free punch drink mixes. I'm certain I was having all kinds of carbs that I didnt count.

For lunch today I had some 85/15 frozen hamburger patties with no carbs, 2 boiled eggs and about an ounce of pepperjack less than 1 gram of carbs cheese. i use a cajun type seasoning that i made up myself to make sure it had no sugar or side by products in it made of garlic, pepper, chili powder, paprika, and crushed red peppers. I also use a carb free, sugar free hot sauce to eat with them. And to drink water. that is exactly the same meal I have had the last 12 weeks at least 2 to 3 times a week.

Dinner last night was 2 chicken breasts, 2 cups lettuce only salad with 2 carb ranch dressing and a cup of cooked broccoli about 11 carbs and to drink water.

so daily carbs
eggs 2 carb
cheese 1 carb
lettuce 4 carbs
dressing 4 carbs
broccoli 11 carbs
Total 22 carbs

Natalia thanks for the thought to adding more fat i will look into trying that if i can figure it out. I am very much a creature of habit once I know something works I stay with it, induction has always been great for me, just not sure how to handle this going on 5 week plateau:mad:

chrisdbassplayer 07-25-2013 09:57 AM

By the way MtherGoos!!!

Started Induction 2/22/13 at 300.6
Mini Goals ~
260 ~ Weigh less than my DBF- Made it!
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It!!

All your goals excited me!!! I so want to zipline and skydive and scuba dive all those things a 300 pound man cannot do! I really hope I can do what you did in 5 months 300 to 240!!!

cb83 07-25-2013 10:19 AM

I would go with net carbs b/c insoluble fiber does not affect your blood sugar. I'd say mix it up a bit maybe try a larger variety of veggies at least. I do raw broccoli, spinach, onions, and lots of mushrooms. I have minimum 20g fiber every day. 2-3 tbsp of chia seeds. That avocado got me out of one stall, I believe cla and mct oil (coconut oil for me) is getting me out of my current one. I've lost +4lb in 2 days. Research MCT oils. I agree you probably need more fat, butter, evoo, mct's!!!!

Broccoli shouldn't have 11 carbs per cup either way! Raw has less also.

Good Luck!

MtherGoos 07-25-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisdbassplayer (Post 16530753)
By the way MtherGoos!!!

Started Induction 2/22/13 at 300.6
Mini Goals ~
260 ~ Weigh less than my DBF- Made it!
250 ~ Weight I need to be under to Zip Line in Vegas with my daughter! Made it! 6/4/13
240 ~ Weight I need to be under to go SkyDiving with my niece! Made It!!

All your goals excited me!!! I so want to zipline and skydive and scuba dive all those things a 300 pound man cannot do! I really hope I can do what you did in 5 months 300 to 240!!!

Thanks Chris! I can't wait! I feel like I've been sitting on the side lines for so long watching every body else do the things I want to do, and I'm so excited that it's finally my turn. I know your turn is coming too! :jumpjoy:

Winders 07-28-2013 01:40 PM

I am going to chime in and add a comment about fats/oils.
Fats/oils are essential to weight loss on Atkins 72.

I recommend using a pat of butter or other oil to fry your burgers, eggs etc.
I use a tsp of coconut oil in my coffee.

I really agree with others, Fats and Oils!!!

Have a wonderful week!

goodeats 07-30-2013 10:26 AM

Chris, I'm in the same boat as you. I lost 45lbs and then stalled for 6 months. Didn't gain, but didn't lose. When someone suggested to add some more fats to my meals, I started dropping the weight again. In 2 weeks, I'm down 5lbs and I'm not going back! I am making meals like chicken wrapped in bacon, noodle-less lasagna and more veggies. I have a green veggie drink to start my day and it seems to help.

Does anyone understand how to do the OWL or should I continue with the Induction until it doesn't work? I read the books, but I'm a little confused on this.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...3gD/weight.png

Winders 08-01-2013 07:02 AM

"Does anyone understand how to do the OWL or should I continue with the Induction until it doesn't work? I read the books, but I'm a little confused on this."

You simply add 5 grams of carb. I suggest a veggy. As you continue to lose weight, you can keep adding 5 carbs a week. When the weight loss stops, you either want to maintain at that number or reduce 5 carbs till you reach goal.

Hope that helps :)

Noangelny 08-09-2013 07:35 PM

I agree with Winders add more fat! Mix it up bit. Add different veggies
try ceasar dressing, mayo etc. I notice I have better loses when I'm eating more
fat. I will never understand why but it works!

emel 08-12-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodeats (Post 16537372)
Chris, I'm in the same boat as you. I lost 45lbs and then stalled for 6 months. Didn't gain, but didn't lose. When someone suggested to add some more fats to my meals, I started dropping the weight again. In 2 weeks, I'm down 5lbs and I'm not going back! I am making meals like chicken wrapped in bacon, noodle-less lasagna and more veggies. I have a green veggie drink to start my day and it seems to help.

Does anyone understand how to do the OWL or should I continue with the Induction until it doesn't work? I read the books, but I'm a little confused on this.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...3gD/weight.png

Current Atkins OWL:
Add back 5 net grams to your total. So if you've been eating 20 net, try 25 net by adding more veggies, more dairy, or the choices from the ladder below. It is advised to add one thing at a time so you can identify what works and what doesn't work.... sometimes it isn't the extra carbs, it's the food choice. Eventually you'll find the maximum you can have on carbs and still lose. The way you find it is to spend some weeks raising it slowly and then when you stall out or gain, you back down 5 carbs for your max.
On the most recent plan, you get more permission to pick and choose from the list instead of doing it in order. Most people can't go all the way up the ladder and some have to skip a rung because a food doesn't work for them.

Phase 1, Induction:
Rung 1: Foundation vegetables: leafy greens and other low-carb vegetables
Rung 2: Dairy foods high in fat and low in carbs: cream, sour cream, and most hard cheeses
Phase 2, Ongoing Weight Loss:
Rung 3: Nuts and seeds (but not chestnuts)
Rung 4: Berries, cherries, and melon (but not watermelon)
Rung 5: Whole milk yogurt and fresh cheeses, such as cottage cheese and ricotta
Rung 6: Legumes, including chickpeas, lentils, and the like.
Rung 7: Tomato and vegetable juice “cocktail” (plus more lemon and lime juice)
Phases 3 and 4, Pre-Maintenance and Lifetime Maintenance:
Rung 8: Other fruits (but not fruit juices or dried fruits)
Rung 9: Higher-carb vegetables, such as winter squash, carrots, and peas
Rung 10: Whole grains

For the 2002 program, it was more highly suggested to do the ladder in order.
more veggies, the same ones as the beginning.
Cheese (cottage cheese recommended as a first addition)
Nuts and seeds
Berries
Alcohol
Legumes
Other fruits
Starchy vegetables
Whole grains

And even if you find your carb level, you can still add more rungs in, but you have to keep the carb level down. So cottage cheese on one day, berries the next, and a few legumes in a soup some other day.

emel 08-12-2013 09:22 AM

Induction: this is a tight program because that's how I eat. Your ideas might make the meal plans different.

2 eggs, 2 bacon
salad w/4 oz chicken 1 oz cheese and some ranch dressing
hamburger steak, green beans, small salad

Early OWL:
2 eggs, 2 bacon
salad with some new interesting veggies included, w/4 oz chicken and some ranch dressing and a little more cheese.
hamburger steak with mushrooms and onions, green beans, small salad
I'd probably eat less meat since I got more veggies.

Next step in OWL:
1 egg, 2 bacon, and an almond flour muffin with butter
salad w/ chicken and cheese and ranch, 1/4 c sliced strawberries (this would be added after the almond flour had been tested on a previous day..quite possible that having the muffin and the berries in same day is fine but like I say I test one addition at a time)
hamburger steak, mushrooms and onions, green beans, small salad

Next:
add a couple of mixed drinks or a glass of wine a few times a week.

Next:
cut back on the lunch salad size and pair it with a cup of black bean and veggie chili.

NExt:
test out some melon or something else you love:
melon with almond flour muffin and a poached egg
salad with walnuts, cheese, garbanzos, and dressing, with chicken
steak stirfry with lots of veggies, and a wedge of melon for dessert.