Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elliebean
Stats: 148/192/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2013
is this normal for anyone else?

3 rd week on inductIon. I lost around 8 lbs maybe. Last few days I've gained around 2 and I'm stuck for about 3 days. I woke up this morning and my hands were puffy too (not near TOM).

My daily intake varies but I usually skip breakfast. Literally don't have time. Lunch is usually a small salad and a burger patty or pork chop. Dinner is steak or hamburger patty or two.

I usually have a cup or two of coffee with around 4 splenda each and non dairy creamer. I don't drink much water because I hate it.

When I did Atkins years ago, I was single and totally broke. I lost weight eating chicken salad, hot dogs, and diet coke. 10 years later, I feel like nothing I do is working. Low caloriedoesn'twork, low carb doesn't work. :/

Ps-still in deep ketosis. The sticks are always dark people

Last edited by elliebean; 07-20-2013 at 06:52 AM..
elliebean is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Ellibean, you are really not doing inducation if you are not drinking lots of water.
I'd strongly suggest that you reread one of the Atkins book or check out the webpage.
For breakfast, surely you have time to boil some eggs the evening before and eat them the next morning?

Low carb does work. You are not following induction principles and you are not giving it enough time. Only the rare person finds low carb as easy the second time, and when we are also older. It's very common to find the scale going up and down, even thought the trend is down. I hear your frustration but be patient, stick to induction guidelines.

Non dairy creamer is not the best choice, imo. Can you switch for HWC?

Last edited by Patience; 07-20-2013 at 06:56 AM..
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I never drank water before and never had an issue. Yes I can switch to hwc. I have two kids, work full time, go to school full time, and have my own business. I don't always have the time to cook at night for the next day. Aside from water and creamer I wouldn't say I'm not following the plan. :/ and I am fine with losing slowly but I definitely should not be gaining.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Well, I don't have time to argue but I'd still suggest upping the water.
You said something was not working .
Boiling eggs consists of putting eggs in water and turning on the flame.
You really don't have time to do that?
It's very common for the scale to go up before going down. I hear that all the itme.
Signing off.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Honestly, No. Last time I tried I put them in and got busy and didn't realize until there was a scorched pot and everything was burned. I'll up my water though. Thanks.

Last edited by elliebean; 07-20-2013 at 07:54 AM..
Old 07-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Noangelny
Stats: 245.2/233.4/145
Start Date: July 15, 2013
You are using 4 Splenda in each cup? Right there is 8 carbs! Yes you really need to drink water. I'm 41 and lost 8.7 in 5 days on Induction. 15 years ago I was losing 1-2 lbs. a week. Never have I lost this much on any diet so quickly.
Noangelny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
It's very common for the scale to go up before going down. I hear that all the itme.
Signing off.
Yeah that!
Old 07-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Signing off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noangelny View Post
You are using 4 Splenda in each cup? Right there is 8 carbs! Yes you really need to drink water. I'm 41 and lost 8.7 in 5 days on Induction. 15 years ago I was losing 1-2 lbs. a week. Never have I lost this much on any diet so quickly.
I had no idea there were carbs In splenda! I need caffeine or I'd never make it through my days. Would caffeine pills be better?
Old 07-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
The packets of Splenda have 0.9g of carbs each. You can switch to a liquid version, which has zero carbs (it's not the sucralose itself, it's the bulking agent that contains the carbs), or you can count them in your totals.

Don't forget, you're ten years older and have had two kids, your body is different now. I lost more quickly when I first did Atkins eleven years ago, but that doesn't mean it's not working now. It just means now that I'm older and less active, I have to be satisfied with a slower loss.

I would switch from the creamer to HWC, and add a bit of fat to your food. Doesn't have to be tons. And try adding some other non-caffeinated liquid, even if it's not water.

Thirdly, after the initial water weight loss in the first couple of weeks, it's normal for the body to slow down and maybe even have a bit of a bounce on the scale. This is the time your body is switching from dropping water to actually dropping fat, which is a slower process. You want it to be happening more slowly, because otherwise you'll be losing muscle, which you don't want. The body can only lose about a pound to two pounds of fat per week before it burns muscle.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much for being helpful and explaining. I'll def look for the liquid version and switch to hwc! And as much as I hate water, I'll have to suck it up. :/
Old 07-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Natalia
Stats: 190/174/125
WOE: VLC
Start Date: June 2013
Hi Ellie.
Every time I finish induction, I stall the third and fourth weeks. It's so common it's got a name-post induction stall syndrome. Hang in there.

Re splenda, yep there's carbs. Do you have ezsweetz or da vinci's?
If you have a spouse can they pick up some slack with prepping? If not, you could still look into crockpot roasts, rotisserie chicken, etc to always have something on hand.

I hate water too. I drink flavored water. Plain is just not gonna cut it. I try to have a flavored water for each diet pop. Drinking a lot really does help you lose.
Think of it as flushing out the fatty acids.nif they can't be mobilized, they can't leave your body.
Lastly, you know you didn't gain fat. Your swollen hands are proof, as is your carb level. It's water retention. Have you been getting enough sodium? Ironically. If u are low on sodium or water you cling to your reserves. Especially in this heat. Maybe some salty broth ?
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
If something like Mio or similar will help you get water down, try that! There are a bunch of SF options made by different companies.

I can't remember the brand (I buy my liquid Splenda online), but there's at least one brand of carb-free liquid Splenda available in supermarkets.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Yes unfortunately 1 packet is counted as 1 carb and on induction you are limited to 3 a day. The reason being there are fillers in it. I don't know anything about caffeine pills because I have never taken them. You need to have a lot of water and bulk (fiber)!on Atkins to lose weight. 8 lbs is a good lose for 2 weeks on A. Also many people gain before a big loose. I remember my friend gained 3 and lost 7 the next week. When I do drink coffee I use heavy cream and one Splenda. Also if you don't eat enough protein and fat your body will hold onto the weight because it feels it's starving. I know some people say the darker the purple the better. Some people will only lose if they drink like 100oz of water a day and then your sticks go light. It's a process learning how your body works on A. Some people can eat up to 40 carbs in OWL and others have to stay under 10. Not everyone is the same.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Thank you guys for the great suggestions. I can't believe I was ingesting that manycarbs with my coffee! So water it is.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cb83
Stats: 302/262.6/245
WOE: Induction my way
Start Date: 3.13.13
Non-Dairy Creamer has like 1-2g carbs or more per serving too! I use 2 tbsp HWC and a tbsp of splenda w/ fiber. Da Vincis liquid SF syrups are awesome.

My sister gave me a tupperware steamer, I can fit 12 eggs in it per batch and hit 13 mins and forget about it. They cook perfect and peel easy. I've even left in microwave overnight. I usually eat around a dozen eggs per day.

I also cook a whole pan of chicken thighs in oven and keep a container in the fridge for the week. Sometimes I even just grab one and eat cold. If you like tuna, that's a super easy breakfast if you like it...

Good Luck!

Last edited by cb83; 07-21-2013 at 04:35 PM..
cb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #16
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
The one thing I noticed that wasn't mentioned is to add butter/coconut oil to your morning coffee, instead of breakfast. It will take about 10 seconds more to prepare, give you a "meal" and up your fats for the day, and maybe help with the weight loss.

Some people think "bulletproof coffee" is the be all and end all of weight loss. I don't know, but it's an easy way to get some fat in. And, as a side note, I was a black coffee only girl for years, and I really like bulletproof coffee now. Whipped with a blender, immersion blender, or frother, it's creamy and rich, like a latte, without the dairy.

Officially down 50 lbs! Another 30 or so to my first goal, then I'll re-evaluate.

Couldn't do it without all the amazing support and motivation from this forum and all the wonderful people here.
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:45 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
My local grocery store's salad bar has peeled hardboiled eggs on it. You could buy then already cooked possibly.

I have an egg cooker than I use and it buzzes so loudly I couldn't forget to remove the eggs (unless I left the house.) I too am a forgetful cooker.

You sound extremely busy and eating healthy is going to be even more important because if you get sick or overstressed, your body won't be able to cope. I hope you can find a way to get some quiet personal time in during the day to recharge. Pick little things you can work on improving in your diet, water is a good start.

Wishing you all the best.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #18
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I buy preboiled (and shelled!) eggs at Costco.

I avoid the carbs in powdered splenda in my coffee by using sf syrups.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margn
Stats: 186.8/164/140
Start Date: June 29,2013
Walmart also has hard boiled eggs packaged with 6 eggs ready to go. I retain fluids when I have eaten to much salt.
You said you have children,which means you have to cook dinner so toss in another serving and you can use it for lunch the next day. toss in a few salad greens in a baggie and you have lunch. Most of all do NOT skip meals.
margn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: January 2010
Two weeks ago I would've wondered how anyone could not boil eggs. Yeah...ummm...3 days ago I put my eggs on to bring them to a boil and forgot about them until I smelled the pan burning. I literally boiled all the water out of the eggs and the eggs didn't smell so good either.

Ellie...how are you doing?
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Oh dear. Lol
Eggs and rice are the two items I always set the timer for so I don't forget. Use the timer right on your stove
Eggs I do for 9 minutes.
Rice I do for 18.
Lol works for me I hate cleaning burnt rice off pans.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rocket Queen
The easiest way to boil eggs:

Put the eggs in cool water. As soon as the water is a rolling boil, turn off the heat and cover the pot. Let them sit for 12 mins. Done. No worrying about forgetting them or the pot boiling over!
Rocket Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

I tried it that way after a tv cook mentioned it. Rachael Ray I think?
Anyway, did it twice and both times the yolks were not fully hard. They were still bright and kind of gummy
I don't mind using my oven timer for eggs & rice. I'd have to be in a coma to miss the incessant beeping!
Old 07-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Spesh
Stats: 229 / 225 / 160
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 7/24/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy View Post
The one thing I noticed that wasn't mentioned is to add butter/coconut oil to your morning coffee, instead of breakfast. It will take about 10 seconds more to prepare, give you a "meal" and up your fats for the day, and maybe help with the weight loss.

Some people think "bulletproof coffee" is the be all and end all of weight loss. I don't know, but it's an easy way to get some fat in. And, as a side note, I was a black coffee only girl for years, and I really like bulletproof coffee now. Whipped with a blender, immersion blender, or frother, it's creamy and rich, like a latte, without the dairy.
I'm trying bulletproof coffee tomorrow. Looking forward to it! Just need to play with amounts. I'm thinking 1T butter and 1T coconut oil.
Spesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cb83
Stats: 302/262.6/245
WOE: Induction my way
Start Date: 3.13.13
I just started using BPC after 3+ months on induction. I use 1tbsp coconut oil/1
Tbsp salted butter/1 tsp Splenda. It's delicious. Research coconut oil or mct's. They increase thermogenesis etc. They're like carbs without the carbs lol.
cb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:36 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JackieDell
Stats: 155/152/125
Start Date: July 30, 2013
I have never heard of this Bulletproof coffee...but I can't wait to try it!! A couple of questions though.....

1) Is this to replace a meal in the morning or should I eat as well?

2) Do you just add butter and oil to one cup of coffee and stir? (I'm not very proficient in the kitchen so I don't have many gadgets!)

Thanks in advance!
JackieDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Hi Jackie
Most seem to eat very little with it or nothing at all. If you're not a breakfast person it's a good way to keep satisfied for awhile.

Most people advise blending it together using something like a frother so it gets creamy and doesn't seperate.

I didn't care for it but loved the bulletproof broth.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Also I have seen frothers at the dollar store.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Another way to try water is to drink Cucumber Water.

I went for a massage the other day and they gave me a glass and it was really very nice. I might make some today for myself. Just some sliced cucs in water (in a pitcher in the fridge) I believe. I probably should look up a recipe...lol.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Spesh
Stats: 229 / 225 / 160
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 7/24/13
YUM! Had my first cup of BPC this morning. I used 1 tablespoon of organic, unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and 2 drops of liquid splenda.

I brewed the coffee in my Kuerig and in another (larger) cup I put in the butter and coco oil. When the coffee was done, I poured the coffee into the larger cup and blended with my stick blender.

YUM!
Spesh is offline   Reply With Quote