Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elliebean
Stats: 148/192/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2013
I know why I'm not losing

And I need help. I know these sound like excuses but I'm so busy. I work full time, go to school full time, run my own business, and have children. Even on low carb, food is usually something that is quick and often not good like hot dogs, lots of cheese etc. I've also been eating a lot of the Atkins chocolate bars. Which is probably a huge no no with induction but I have such a sweet tooth. Esp with my hormones being out of whack since my tubal ligation.

For people who are super busy, What are some super easy and quick ideas ?
elliebean is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2013, 03:42 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jonescarb
Stats: 225/150.4/130
WOE: CAD/CALP
Start Date: April 2009(Low Carb)-CAD Sep 16 2014
Hi! So sorry you are frustrated. I have been there for sure! I will say about the Atkins bars, I have never been able to lose while eating them on a daily basis. One a week was about the most I could do and still lose. I ate a lot of jello with cool whip or reddi whip to get over the sweet tooth.

The main think that helped me was to grill 3 or 4 different meats (hamburgers, chicken, steak, porkchops) on the weekends and then have them on hand to have all during the week. That way, i never had an excuse. There was always something on my eating plan in the fridge.

Hope this helps!
TJ
jonescarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: arb34
Stats: 222/197.8/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: restarted 1/2/2014
I tend to leave things to the last minute but have found it easy to throw lunch together at the last minute by chopping up a couple of boiled eggs and throwing in a baggie with a couple spoons of mayo or drain a can of tuna and do the same...when I am ready to eat I just squish the bag around a little to mix it up and it's ready to go...if need be just eat it out of the bag.
arb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Crockpot for evening meals. Easy way to cook meats, throw in some veggies, season a bit . . . easey peasy. Seems to always taste good. Not quite as enticing in the summer, tho. I sometimes just crockpot up a lot of chilcken thighs, eat them cold, and save to broth for another day. Sometimes I buy cooked chicken at my coop deli. They discount left overs a dollar pound, so I buy up the discounted cooked chicken when availalbe -- well worth the price for the convenience.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I keep a big bowlful tossed salad in a good tupperware.
Mason Jars work, too. Stays fresh for days.

Like Bella, I make a big batch when I cook. Leftovers are good for breakfasts, lunches, and future dinners.
Frozen bags of veggies make it easy, too-- I'm not big on the microwavable bags, but I recognize them as a timesaver.

Sweets-- I'd rather see you eat homemade treats instead of those bars.
Two simple ones are CREAM CHEESE CLOUDS - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes (very good with lemon or cocoa)
and NO-BAKE JELLO CHEESECAKE - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes but use lemon sugar free jello only-the other flavors aren't as tasty in it. Pour into cups with lids or foil cupcake liners for a more on-the-go snack.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:34 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
Yeah not so great - here's what passes the test - look at the ingredients list. None of that is on the approved induction list so that makes it a no no

Like the others said - take a few extra minutes when you do have time and get some together. I eat canned chicken a lot because it's easy - not the best choice but better than the alternative. Boil a bunch of eggs at once, freeze individual leftovers for meals, celery and cream cheese is a go to for me.
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/148/105
WOE: Ketogenic (high fat,low carb)
Start Date: April 4th, 2014
Caffeine and weight loss???

Is it weird that every time I lower my caffeine intake the scale magically goes down without any effort???

I am a coffee addict and am having trouble losing any weight. I know caffeine messes with your insulin right???

Sigh why me LOL
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleredit View Post
Is it weird that every time I lower my caffeine intake the scale magically goes down without any effort???

I am a coffee addict and am having trouble losing any weight. I know caffeine messes with your insulin right???

Sigh why me LOL

oops wrong post LOL
Old 07-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #9

Gallery: kristina
Stats: 250/243.6/140
WOE: Weight Watchers online
Start Date: September 12 2014
love the suggestion of the egg salad in a Ziploc...great idea!
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
Quote:

Sigh why me LOL

no you are not alone. I hadnt lost a single pound for about two months despite not exceeding 20 total carbs and about 1500 cals a day. In fact, in addition to my love of caffeine, I drank espresso because it works as a great appetite suppressant. Well I went two weeks without my daily triple espressos from Starbucks and magically lost 10-11 pounds over the course of like a week. I read up on caffeine and it can make you insulin resistant or MORE insulin resistant if you already are thus slowing or inhibiting weigh loss. I understand the sentiment "why me" I feel the same way because I LOVE espresso.
cinglessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetSugaree
Stats: 250/207/150
Start Date: RESTART- 5/13/13
Hi Elliebean,
I am like you. I work full time and I am also a full time student. For me, even though this is not as good as home cooked food it works. I went to Costco and bought precooked hamburger patties, grilled chicken patties and hard boiled eggs. I did this because i just don't have the time to stop and cook with my schedule. Even though I eat this way Mon-Fri, I am still losing. On the weekend when I do have time to cook, I do. But Monday through Friday it is just impossible. On the weekends I make things like bacon and egg cups and save them for the mornings. This is just what I do. I wish I could just stop and cook, but at least for the next six months that is not gonna happen, because I am close to graduating. Hope you can figure out what works for you, I know no weight loss can be upsetting.

Mini Goals
Goal #1
Reach 230 LBS- Goal Achieved 6/7/13
Goal#2
Reach 220 LBS- Goal Achieved 7/1/13
Goal #3
Reach ONEderland-
SweetSugaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I work 4 days/week, so I make at least 4 days work of food, lunch, dinner, and snacks on Saturday or Sunday. Things like hamburgers, steaks, chicken tenders (baked with asagio and almond flour or naked with buffalo sauce), hard boiled eggs, mini fritattas with veggies and cheese, veggie/beef soups, roasted tomato/veggie soups, yogurt with frozen fruit and nuts, raw veggies, steamed veggies, and salads (mason jars with dressing in the bottom works great - shake and go!)

Caveat - I'm not on induction, so some of my meals would not work for you, but sticking with meat, veggies, cheese and eggs has made things quick and easy for me. SImple recipes and casseroles have made a world of difference to me. Lasagna made with squash/eggplant instead of noodles or zucchini wrapped canneloni are easy and delicious. The low carb pizza casserole is a good one too.

Last edited by DD80; 07-16-2013 at 10:58 AM..
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Thank you guys so much. I cut out all the crap and am just eating a little salad per day with burger patties made at home, steak, etc.

I quickly dropped 5-6 lbs but the last couple days the scale hasn't budged. I'm thinking is either A. My salad dressing (although it's the marie's blue cheese with 0 carbs, the coffee creamer or diet soda. I have awful headaches and need caffeine.

I don't know what the issue is. I've always Been able to do great at low carb but the last few times I just give up because I'm not seeing normal results.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliebean View Post
Thank you guys so much. I cut out all the crap and am just eating a little salad per day with burger patties made at home, steak, etc.

I quickly dropped 5-6 lbs but the last couple days the scale hasn't budged. I'm thinking is either A. My salad dressing (although it's the marie's blue cheese with 0 carbs, the coffee creamer or diet soda. I have awful headaches and need caffeine.

I don't know what the issue is. I've always Been able to do great at low carb but the last few times I just give up because I'm not seeing normal results.
5-6 lbs is good. I don't lose weight every day. But I figure if I lose an average of couple pounds per week, I'll get there. Some weeks I only lose part of a pound. Some weeks I lose 4 pounds. It all works out.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I always have hard boiled eggs in the fridge and it's easy enough to chop 'em up and make egg salad or make deviled eggs out of a few. A rotisserie chicken makes an easy chicken salad. Not much of a tuna fan, but that's an easy to do. Ham & cheese slices rolled around a pickle. I always keep a couple slices of cooked bacon in the fridge as well as Romaine heart to chop into a quick salad with ham, cheese, bacon, eggs, etc.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Elllie, the coffee creamer and diet soda are not doing much for you. Why don't you keep the coffee but use real cream? Also, I am wondering if you are getting enough water. Sometimes headaches come from dehydration in the early days of low carbing.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinglessofme View Post
no you are not alone. I hadnt lost a single pound for about two months despite not exceeding 20 total carbs and about 1500 cals a day. In fact, in addition to my love of caffeine, I drank espresso because it works as a great appetite suppressant. Well I went two weeks without my daily triple espressos from Starbucks and magically lost 10-11 pounds over the course of like a week. I read up on caffeine and it can make you insulin resistant or MORE insulin resistant if you already are thus slowing or inhibiting weigh loss. I understand the sentiment "why me" I feel the same way because I LOVE espresso.

Ugh cold turkey??? I'm slowly decreasing my caffeine now but yes this is awful LOL
Old 07-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cinglessofme
Stats: 265/250/150
WOE: High-Fat, Low-Carb
Quote:
Ugh cold turkey???
Trust it was not by choice! My car was down for two weeks and there was no Starbucks in walking distance. I'm glad it happened that way otherwise I would still be "tweaking" my diet trying to figure out why I was not dropping weight.
cinglessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

And now I've gained two lbs. ????? Using the keto sticks and they're the darkest color purple. I really don't get it. No I hate water. I've had migraines for years though
Old 07-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pinkfusion
When on induction these are some things that I try to keep handy:

celery and cream cheese
olives
pork rinds
hard boiled eggs
cook up a bunch of bacon ahead of time for snacks
wrap a couple ounces of cheese in a couple of leaves of lettuce... add mayo
tuna and mayo on a bed of lettuce

drinking water is super important as is being active.
pinkfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:00 AM   #21

Try some of the little squirt bottles of water flavorings, like mio or dasani.
You really need to drink some water for LC. I'm not a big water drinker but I can tell when I haven't had enough. I feel dull and it feels like it takes longer to digest my food.

I'm not a headache person, but your headaches might be a sign of dehydration.
I lose much better when I keep hydrated.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shmootz
Stats: 197.5/167/130
WOE: Lean for Life
Start Date: February 2009
Hi everyone!!

Starting my carb cleanse detox tomorrow. Need to drop about 40 pounds. Two kids, a busy work schedule and my love of entertaining has been a recipie for disaster. I did lean for life a few years ago with great success. So, I'm working doing it again. Looking for extra support. Hope I can chime in!

Laura
shmootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Hi Laura...Welcome!
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: luv2swim
Stats: 298/149/125
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 7/17/2013
I'm not sure what sweetner is in the MIO's for water but I've been using those nonstop. Could that be what is stalling me out? I've cut my caffeine and diet soda drastically and am over the headaches of that(I think). I still have very very low energy though and after 11 days am reading only in trace ketosis. I have not been over 20 carbs since. Some days I have eaten pepperoni as it is quick.

I am starting a full time job in a week as well as full time school, have 4 kids plus am going through a divorce. I need energy and lots of it!

I still want to drop the last 25lbs or so and get to my goal weight I've worked so hard just a little left to go.

Any advice is great!

An example of a meal would be

*3 eggs-breakfast
*salad with real bacon bits hard boiled egg and bit of cheese-salad dressing 1 carb on the salad dressing...(I prob use 2 servings of dressing)-lunch
* large burger with cheese and celery sticks dinner

I really am not snacking unless I Grab celery sticks or a piece of cheese. I may or may not have one cup of coffee with whipping cream (1 carb) with breakfast.

I am drinking about a gallon and 1/2 of water a day(with the MIO tho)
luv2swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
oh my gosh Luv2swim, you have done amazing ! that last few lbs will be slow to come off... I think your food choices are great. Take care of yourself. You have a lot on your "plate" right now with all that going on !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/127.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
luv2swim, I agree, I would say your slow down is because you're so close to goal. You've done AMAZING! Those last pounds are going to come off much more slowly.
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Noangelny
Stats: 245.2/233.4/145
Start Date: July 15, 2013
I notice when I don't drink enough water my body retains it. I buy crystal light and put a small amount in just to flavor the water. I like the energy one it's really good. I don't test my Ketosis because I have the metal taste and the other signs. 5-6 lbs is an awesome weight loss. 1-2 lbs is a good weight loss on most diets. I like to think of low carbing as a new way to live not just a "diet" because if you go back to eating high carbs again you will gain it all back. As you lose weight your body adjusts to the carbs and sometimes you need to eat more fat or more protein or more/less carbs. I do weigh daily but I don't obsess over it. As long as you aren't cheating it will come off and the the slower the better as it gives your body time for your skin to bounce back.
Noangelny is offline   Reply With Quote