Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   Afternoon shake instead of cooking (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/807307-afternoon-shake-instead-cooking.html)

MyBestShot 07-02-2013 08:05 PM

Afternoon shake instead of cooking

Now that it is starting to get really hot here I find I don't like to eat food in the afternoon. Does anyone have a recipe for a shake or smoothie I could have instead of lunch?

emel 07-04-2013 05:58 AM

Sometimes I use EAS 100% whey protein powder.

A scoop is 130 calories, 2.5 g fat, 3 g carb, 23 g protein.

I use 1 or 1.5 scoops, mixed with water and 1/3 cup coconut milk. Or water with a splash of cream. Some people add coconut oil. You need to add fat to it if you use this brand, because 2.5 g fat is not enough for a meal.

Linda Sue has an egg cream on her site which is induction-friendly. I've never tried it, but I'm sure I'd cut back on the syrup/sweetener:
CAPPUCCINO EGG CREAM - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

Patience 07-04-2013 07:37 AM

I am not a shake fan, but what I am doing with the change in weather is making iced bullet proof-like coffee with MCT oil and/or HWC. I supplement as needed with a bit of extra protein on the side -- a bite of cheese, cheese spread on a flax seed cracker, a bite or two of lean meat, or a couple of tablespoons of plain high fat yoghurt.

Julie1972 07-04-2013 11:50 AM

I like the Atkins shakes and use them sometimes as a light meal. I know they make some folks stall so YMMV!

SweetSugaree 07-06-2013 07:36 PM

I know how you feel Claire..
I'm from California and it has been hotter than heck fire here. I find myself not eating enough because cooking in this heat is unbearable. I wish I could drink the shakes, but they stall me. I find myself eating more veggies and berries just because the thought of cooking is not a fun thought in this heat. I started preparing more stuff at night when it cools down for the next day. Maybe try preparing the night before for your lunches, it has been helping me a lot to do that. :)

lavajane 07-06-2013 08:56 PM

I do a quick shake with almond milk( but I might try some coconut milk after reading above post) organic vanilla whey powder and greens+ ( a superfood powder that is made in the town I live) its a Great in between energizer

LESESKI 07-06-2013 10:12 PM

1/2 cup of full fat unflavored yogurt, 1/2 cup of water or ice, 1 packet of splenda, 2 decent sized strawberries. Place it all in the blender and blend. Sometimes I add a scoop of vanilla protein powder.

emel 07-07-2013 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lavajane (Post 16503112)
I do a quick shake with almond milk( but I might try some coconut milk after reading above post) organic vanilla whey powder and greens+ ( a superfood powder that is made in the town I live) its a Great in between energizer

If you're trying for organic, you can easily make your own coconut milk.
simmering water, organic flaked coconut, whirl in blender a couple minutes, and strain through cheesecloth or strainer. Let's Go Organic is the most affordable brand I've seen around here.

2 cups water, simmering hot but not boiling
1 c organic coconut, or perhaps a bit less
(original recipe said 4 c water to 1.5 to 2 c coconut but that's a big batch. I do it this way sometimes, but I'm lazy so a lot of times I get a can of the stuff.)