Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: toeie
Stats: 198/196/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/27/14
Frustrated!

After 10 years I am back on the Atkins boat. Week 1 is officially done and here is the 411:

1. My weight has been fluctuating b/w my starting weight of 195 and 193 (i.e. this am I was 194.5 - THIS IS MAKING ME SAD

2. My appetite has been pretty bleh these past few days. I am trying very hard to eat regardless, but I am just not hungry and nothing appeals to me. For example yesterday I ate 2 slices of cheese on 2 oopsie rolls (grilled cheese) for brunch, snacked on some pork rinds, and then had a salad and 2 hamburgers and 2 uncured hot dogs for dinner, followed by a cheesecake cup (homemade induction friendly) -

Weekdays I will typically eat breakfast, snack, lunch, dinner, and maybe dessert. This will consist of egg breakfast, salad with protein for lunch, protein and veggies for dinner. Snacks are celery, jello, porkrinds, cucumber slices etc. Snacks are the worst, btw, feel like there is a lack of stuff to "grab". I am staying on avg a little under 2k calories, and about Avg. 124 grams of fat - I have planned my meals, cooked some things in advance, and I am trying to make this as easy as possible. I made the cauliflower pizza Friday (yummmy!!), a bacon egg cheese frittata, linda's egg drop soup (super yum), deviled eggs, and cheesecake cups!

3. Bought Ketostix yesterday and I was like still pink (trace to small), no purple

4. I think my water consumption might be lacking, I am trying to work on that

5. It still angers me that on Atkins site, their Phase 1 Induction menu has 3 meals a day coming from bars, shakes, and frozen entrees. How can they promote this, when so many people say this is the worst you can do, and results are terribly hindered by doing this!? Following a menu is very helpful to me - I know what I am eating, and when I am eating it!

I am sorry to be a complainer, but I am just frustrated because I feel that I have been so good and in the past, during the first week I always lose a decent amount, and now...... nada....

To boot, I spent way to much in groceries this week, and this has always been a point of contention with this diet - the $$$$! How can I possibly make this budget friendly? (me and my husband are doing it together)

Thanks for letting me vent

I hope everyone had a great weekend and happy scales this AM
toeie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/148.8/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I'm no expert but you may need to get rid of the cheese, cheesecake and hot dogs and see if that helps. I can eat Very very little cheese or I either gain Or stall.
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Patience will be your best friend in these early days.
I don't think I've heard a single person here say that they have lost more during induction the second or third go round. Just settle into your plan. You don't want to spend your money on the Atkins site anyway, so you can just let go of that angst, most companies are about profit -- venting is allowed, of course.
There are threads here that focus on eating on a budget. It can be done. Shop sales, prepare in quantity and freeze, choose less expensive cuts, etc.

Work on the water; that is a challenge for me, too.

Good luck!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:15 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
First, here's a thread you can read about how we adapt to low carb in the first week/month/open-ended timeframe:

slow weight loss, starting week 4 of induction

Second, think about going as close to 'back to basics' as you can without feeling deprived. For me, I eat stupidly simple breakfasts and lunches, and save what I call my "sparkle foods" for dinner or afternoon snacks.

B- reheated burger patty, or some cold chicken. Or patty sausage but I'm watching the processed foods, so not often. Sometimes I eat devilled eggs for breakfast.

L- salad or some raw veggie strips. Cold leftover meats and a mix of olive oil and ranch dressing for the veggies. (I cook a whole pan of chicken thighs for a dinner and use the leftovers for lunches. or an eye of round roast on sale but I melt butter or use olive oil to dip it in because it is too lean for my plan. Sure tastes good cold with salt, though. )

snack-- I might have cold meat --1 or 2 leftover chicken wings are a favorite. Or maybe I'll do 2 oz good cheese with some red bell pepper strips. Or a couple bites of tuna or a devilled egg--- make sure your mayonaise is sugar-free. Duke's is okay. I limit commercial mayo due to the soy oil, so at my best I use homemade mayo made with light olive oil. But I digress....

Dinner-- here is where I might try a fun recipe with cream or cheddar or hollandaise or pumpkin--- my 'sparkle foods' to make plain chicken or fish or beef more fun. And then a salad or a veggie, either simple or with a nice cream sauce on the veg, or some parmesan/pork rind breading for an oven-fried crispy method for chicken, fish, or veggies. So sometimes plain and simple, and every now and then I use up that cream/cheese/sour cream allotment to make something snazzier.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: toeie
Stats: 198/196/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/27/14
Thank you for your input. Who doesn't love instant gratification!?

Your menus are nice and seem very "Meaty"!!! Dinners are easier, because there is a little more time to be creative. I find myself buying just enough meat to make for me and my hubby and we rarely have leftovers. This sucks! Leftovers would be great for lunch and possibly breakfast (the thought of meat for breakfast is sorta blech). I should probably try to buy bigger packages to stretch meals, but I am always trying to buy the least to save money.

Processed foods are the hardest thing. Buying some deli meat is easy enough to grab in a pinch, make rollups for lunch etc. But, how much and how often is it ok to eat these? My biggest qualms is just the lack of variety and "safe" foods I feel is available quickly!
toeie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
A lot of people think processed meats are okay as long as there is 1 carb or less for an average serving.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KateInTx
I think in the past a lot of people shunned processed meat because of the nitrate/ites used to cure the meat. There are more than a few all natural deli meats available now so in my opinion they are okay choices as long as you pay attention to sodium counts.
KateInTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/158.4/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I would agree, try keeping it really clean for 2 weeks. Basically meat, eggs, and cheese and a few low carb veggies. You don't have to spend a ton. Eat lots of eggs, and the cheapest form of ground beef so that it has lots of fat in it. Tuna salad, egg salad. Plan ahead so that your meals are convenient.
You can do this, and it will work, just keep it simple.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote