Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: toeie
Stats: 198/196/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/27/14
Getting Loooow with Low Carb!

Good morning fellow LCers!

Sad to say, this is my 3rd or 4th attempt at going Low Carb. Previously I just couldn't commit, but now, due to type 2 diabetes, I feel there is no looking back! I must get healthy and lose this weight! Just a quick background for ya'll:

Previously on this diet, although I was in my early 20's, in college, and being supported by mom, I was lazy and couldn't really seem to make it successful long term. Now, I am 31, working full time, and went back to school for a second degree (night school), and always in a financial rut. But, I shall prevail somehow! Essentially, I feel like I never "get it right" when it comes to this diet, and always doubt my food choices, but I am neurotic like that, so please excuse me. I just want to do it "right" and be successful, doesn't everybody?

Some Stats:

I am T2 diabetic (diagnosed a year ago) and I am on Metformin (1000 ER) per day and 5mg Lisinopril. I also take multi vitamin, and Fish Oil.

Last CBC -
NON- HDL: 146
Triglycerides: 355 (up from 158 a year ago - so weird)
Cholesterol Total: 176
HDL: 30 (Low)
LDL: 75
A1C: 6.8 - (first diagnosed at 8, then down to 6.5, now hovering about 6.8)

IN 2003, when I started LC, I was about 250lbs. Through dieting and stress, I somehow got down to about 215 back in 2009ish, and sorta stayed there for awhile. Without dieting, I got down to about 187, the lowest I have been forever, and I attribute this to the undiagnosed diabetes. I started the Metformin last may, and kept a close eye on what I ate (not atkins LC, but cautious with the carbs, knowing how sensitive I was to them). Over the past year, I seem to have gained about 13lbs and I don't know why. I reevaluated, as I saw the weight creeping up, and started the DASH diet (seemed balanced and easy to follow with menus) and immediately lost about 5 lbs, bringing me to about 193, and then throughout the month I was on it, fluctuating back and forth to about 195/196. I am baffled as to why I am gaining weight now, and can't seem to lose. At day three of LCing, I usually see some movement on the scale pretty quickly, and thus far, no loss and its not TOM. Can this be attributed the medication? Or now that I am out of the 200's and have less to lose, I wont see as dramatic results? Obviously, patience is something I lack, and I do understand alot more time is needed to see results...

I have been using an online tracker religiously, even though certain recipes and such are a bit hard to measure and track, all in all I trust that it is giving me pretty accurate information. Please bear with me as I try to tweak my menu and options, to make sure I am on the right track:

Menu so far: Note: 1 coffee per day w/ 2 sweet n n low or splenda, about 32-48 oz water per day (i know i don't get enough in ;(

Monday:
B: 2 "egg muffins" (eggs, spinach, shrooms, sausage, pinch of cheese, baked in muffin tins)
1/2 slice nitrate free bacon (delish but so salty to me)

Snack:
SF Jello
Reduced Fat Mozzerella string cheese (left over from other diet i was on previously, must finish them!)

L:
1 boars head catering turkey rollup with 1/2 slice of cheese and mustard, BH London Broil Roast Beef slice with 1/2 slice cheese
Mixed Greens Salad (shrooms, peppers, cucumber, onion, lettuce)
Homemade dressing: Canola Oil, Mrs. Dash (saltfree), garlic, pepper, lemonpepper salt, lemon juice.

Snack: Sm. Bag pork rings (essentially, 2.5 servings, but it is small)

D:
3 med chicken legs baked and then tossed in Cesar dressing and sprinkled with shredded parm cheese
6-8 roasted asparagus, roasted with olive oil

Dessert:
Homemade Cheesecake Cups (cream cheese, vanilla, lemon juice, splenda, and eggs) - Delish!

STATS: Calories 1918-- 113g Fat, 45 (sat), 7 (poly), 25 (mono, 558 Cholesterol, 3122 sodium, 1010 potassium, 27 carbs (minus 6 fiber) = 21 carbs? 11 sugar (?), 149 protein

Tuesday:

B: 2 "egg muffins" , 2 slices nitrate free bacon

Snack: String Cheese

L: Half green pepper, stuffed with low sodium gold tuna, mixed with Dukes light mayo (more left overs from dash diet) topped with half slice purple onion, 2 cukes, and 1 slice tomato.
2 sm. kosher dill mini pickles

Snack: 1/2 sm. avacado, few porkrinds (dipped in)
2 deviled egg halves
6 cucumber slices dipped in ranch
(I was hungry in the PM!)

D: Alfredo Chicken with spinach and mushroom (a linda low carb recipe)
Steamed Zuccini (about a half a zucchini)

Dessert: Cheesecake cup

STATS: Calories: 1832-- 131g Fat, 53 (sat), 9 (poly), 33 (mono, 857 Cholesterol (ouch), 2548 sodium, 1458 potassium, 33 carbs (minus 12 fiber) = 26 carbs? 7 sugar (?), 101 protein

Yesterday:
B: 4 sm. celery boats with cream cheese and chives

Snack: String Cheese

Lunch: salad and 2 turkey/roast beef rollups

Snack: pork rinds

Dinner: Sirloin steak on the BBQ, Linda's Low Carb Cauliflower/Broccoli Au Gratin

Dessert; SF Jello W/ SF Whipped Cream

STATS: Calories 1361 -- 86g Fat, 38 (sat), 6 (poly), 27 (mono), 341 Cholesterol, 2217 sodium, 1597 potassium, 32 carbs (minus 9 fiber) = 23 carbs? 8 sugar (?), 114 protein

I am trying to switch it up and not get bored. Bordem is the deal breaker for me! I do like to cook and experiment, but being in school most nights, it makes it hard. My goal is try to get some dishes done on the weekend and then freeze. I am sorry if this is long winded as usual, but I am just a babbly, detailed kinda person, so thank you to whoever was bored enough to read my spiel!!!!!

I do appreciate all of your suggestions, feedback, and criticism!
toeie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I recommend a crustless quiche to heat up during the week, for one thing. For me, it's one thing I will actually reach for FIRST and it's good for me. Pretty forgiving, eggs, a bit of cream, some cooked vegetables, some shredded cheese. microwave till it's all solid when you shake the container.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Doesn't seem too bad to me. I have a few thoughts, but nothing earth-shattering.

The Duke's Light isn't the best--- it's 1 carb per tbl. I bet the reduced fat cheese has a carb or two for a small serving, too. And you seem to be a little cheesier than I am.

I'm not a fan of using processed meats/cold cuts except in a last resort situation. It's cheaper to cook a bunch of dark meat chicken or a roast on sale and use the leftovers for lunches. Cold chicken legs with raw veggies strips is a favorite lunch.

What I love about your meals is that you have a lot of interesting veggies. That's awesome!

One last thought--- as our bodies get used to using fat and protein for fuel in the absence or near-absence of carbs, the liver changes the way it breaks foods down, and you need more sodium (salt), potassium, and magnesium than carb-eaters need because the body is excreting a lot of urine -- it no longer needs all the water it takes to digest carbs. Protein and fat are metabolized differently, with less of a requirement for water to do the metabolizing. That's why you may use the restroom more often when you switch to a low carb eating style. And the salt, magnesium, and potassium is going out along with the water --- it's an electrolyte balancing thing.