Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frogg
Stats: 220/154/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2013
Things People Say That Make You Shake Your Head :)

There are well-meaning and/or misinformed people in all our lives that say the darnedest things. Things that make you want to scream sometimes!

Shall we do a little fun venting?

My MIL, who is the nicest person, had us over this weekend. She's done Atkins in the past, but not properly. (This is a woman who HATES vegetables haha) She knew that myself and my daughter were low-carbing. There was ham and a plain salad and some cheese, so we were fine.

The thing that bugs me is when she would come up to offer us all desserts. When we'd decline she would pause, and shake her head, and say, "Oh yeah. You're only eating meat" and walk away.

SIGH. I didn't say I was doing a meat fast

Last edited by frogg; 06-18-2013 at 10:28 AM..
frogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chrisdbassplayer
Stats: 345/299/260
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: April 29th 2013
Funny!

Have had simalar reactions!
chrisdbassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/193 on WW/174since LC Aug 1st/166
Start Date: 8/1/2011
"You need to eat fruit to be healthy!"
The only fruit I have ever seen that person eat is grape jelly!
Psmileyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/171/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Lol Paula!
I hear alot of "One bite won't hurt you!" well One bite lead me to 207 Lbs! Cause I can Never stop at 1 Bite!
Or "you can eat Everything, just use Moderation" they say as their Plates are piled up sky high with mashed potatoes, sugary desserts etc. I get that one from my size 4 Never been overweight in her Life Aunt!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Everyone on Atkins gains the weight back.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
From my doctor: "I'm concerned about kidney damage!"

I set her straight, she wasn't convinced, and we agreed to disagree.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
Start Date: February 2013
"Your brain needs carbs and wheat to function properly... Do the research!!"

From a close family friend.....

Somehow my brain was able to post this...

Last edited by CTH; 06-19-2013 at 07:37 PM..
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tgibbon45
Stats: 208/193.6/135
Start Date: 05/16/2013
Should you "REALLY" be eating all that fat?

Ummm yes, yes I should.. And it tastes sooo good!
tgibbon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
The only reaction i've had from people:

"you're REALLY not drinking anymore?"
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:17 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/171/140-135 depending
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I got told last night by a guy I hadn't seen in at Least 8 yrs that I Needed Badly to Gain some weight! He told me to run by Burger King and eat a whopper and a shake and "put some meat on my bones" I just laughed and told him I have worked Dang hard to lose these 60 Lbs and there is NO way in H*ll i'm gaining it back! Geez People!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tgibbon45
Stats: 208/193.6/135
Start Date: 05/16/2013
Oh I thought of another one that really irritates me. "When you stop, you will gain all the weight back and then some!" Well first of all, I'm never going to stop, this isn't a diet, it's a way of life. It's my way to be a healthier, happier me. Food no longer controls me, I control what I eat. I no longer crave things that are filled with so many unhealthy things. I'm full and satisfied.

Now granted, I am getting married August 31st. That night I will have my cake and eat it too. :-)
tgibbon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:01 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chrisdbassplayer
Stats: 345/299/260
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: April 29th 2013
a friend from work says: "just cut out the soda and cut back on your food a little" As he drinks a soda and eats a sandwich with chips and a snickers and weights a whole 150 pounds. I watch him sometimes drink 3 of those in an 8 hour time period!!! lol
while the only thing I have during my shift is 2 or 3 16oz waters and occasionally a boiled egg! lol

OOPS forgot one: "It wont hurt you to go off for one night"

Last edited by chrisdbassplayer; 06-23-2013 at 06:04 AM..
chrisdbassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RonJaws
Stats: 212.7/205.6/190(mini goal)175(ultimate goal)
Start Date: 6/12/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdbassplayer View Post
a friend from work says: "just cut out the soda and cut back on your food a little" As he drinks a soda and eats a sandwich with chips and a snickers and weights a whole 150 pounds. I watch him sometimes drink 3 of those in an 8 hour time period!!! lol
while the only thing I have during my shift is 2 or 3 16oz waters and occasionally a boiled egg! lol

OOPS forgot one: "It wont hurt you to go off for one night"
I got that today, it won't hurt to have one bowl of pasta! I'm in INDUCTION, lol.
RonJaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #14
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I realized I am gluten intolerant about six months before I started to really buckle down and eat right. I also started running.

After about a year I was down 60 lbs or so and was training for a half marathon. I saw some friends we hadn't seen for a year. The husband noticed my loss and the wife (who is a very dear friend, someone I had been on- and off- diets with over the years) quickly blurted out, "Of course she did, she can't eat anything good."

About the same time, I was at my SIL's house and her MIL complimented me on my loss. SIL says, "She lives by the beach so she can walk all the time."

The bottom line is both of them knew they should lose weight, but were not in the place to do it. I think they felt threatened by my success, so they had to find something I had or did that they "couldn't" do or have to make excuses for themselves.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frogg
Stats: 220/154/140
Start Date: March 2013
I was just in my car, listening to a comedy station. The comedian started making jokes about all the terrible diets out there that were bad for you. I thought, "Oh, here we go" and sure enough the first one he said was Atkins. He called it the 'Meat and Cheese Diet'. Of course. The second one he brought up was the cayenne, maple syrup, lemon, water drink diet. He had Atkins in the same comparison to a liquid starvation 'diet'! Grr!
frogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: pawleys14
Stats: 305/277.8/175
Start Date: restarting August 11, 2013
I had a friend who is a nurse and she told me that, "I was going to kill myself by eating on the Atkins plan"

another friend that thinks as many thinks that all we eat is meat, cheese and bacon...... have told them that I eat a lot of veggies and salads.... these people really do need to read the Atkins book..... but they never will...
pawleys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #17
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
"Fat will make you fat."

"I made sure to get some fat free cream cheese for the bagels for the people who are trying to eat healthier."

"Don't you feel deprived/bored, not eating -insert carbage here-?"

"You need healthy whole grains."

"Fruit is good for you!"

"Eggs are bad for you!"

"Aren't you afraid of your arteries clogging up from all that bacon and cheese?"

God, I could go on forever lol... and the best part is, when you ask them why they think that, they can't tell you a scientific reason WHY any of those things are good or bad for your body. Ack!

Officially down 50 lbs! Another 30 or so to my first goal, then I'll re-evaluate.

Couldn't do it without all the amazing support and motivation from this forum and all the wonderful people here.
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
I actually have something for this... I was normal weight as a child, teen, and young adult. But when I started Atkins last May, I was category 2 obese. I had chronic lower back pain and zero stamina. Now that I've lost 93.5 pounds people who've known me for a long time have been telling me how "easy" it is for "someone like me" to lose weight. A girl I grew up with actually said, "Well, you've always been skinny inside." What could that possibly mean?!?! I wasn't "skinny" anywhere when I was 235 pounds at 5'4" tall with a 38" waist and 46" hips.

I haven't been doing this fat loss work to get *credit* from people, I've been doing it to get healthy. But I find it annoyingly condescending to have people tell me that 14 months of hard gym training and constant dietary vigilance has been "easy" for me because I have some sort of special advantage. I haven't just had one or two people say something like this. Since I've been back in my hometown of Chicago this summer, I've probably had a couple dozen people tell me how "easily" I can lose bodyfat -- including experienced bodybuilders who should understand how much work I've been doing.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:12 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
'all that fat can't be good for you'
'fasting for a day is unhealthy, you are starving yourself'

And so on, and so forth.... I love it how people comment without me asking for it about the way I eat. And with such conviction, you'd almost believe they were scientists researching exactly the way I'm eating...

I just ignore it now, or ask how they know so much about my diet and health. That usually shuts them up. My parents are especially good in commenting constantly and cherry picking what they think is my new fad diet.
I have been allergic to wheat for a long time, but they think it's just a fad!!!! I've also been trying to eat low carb for a long time. They think it's unhealthy. I love them to bits, but sometimes it's nice to live in another country! My mom, who I've never known to be a normal weight, always gives me (in her opinion) subtle weightloss hints and tips. Like: exercise more, or are you eating this? It's really healthy, a new superfood!!! Sometimes I dread speaking to her on the phone...
Obviously her tips and tricks don't work, history has proven that, and at least I reached my weightloss goal once before! (eyeroll, eyeroll, eyeroll)

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

UK/European LCF Hangout: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-1-2014-a.html
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Noangelny
Stats: 245.2/233.4/145
Start Date: July 15, 2013
"If you loose too much weight your boobs and butt will be non-existing".

From my x-husband

Believe me I'm sure someone will find my littler boobs and butt attractive.
Plus I'm a size H bra now and the smallest I ever was a D. So seriously stupid comment!
Noangelny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thatphdguy
WOE: Modified Atkins extended induction
Start Date: May, 26 2013
From my severely sugar addicted brother eating a baconator, large fries, and 10 nuggets with a large coke and a choc shake in the side in front of me "Dude, that diet is dangerous...That fat is gonna clog your arteries!"
Gotta love his moronic comments
thatphdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Sorry for the back story on this stupid comment...

While in the hospital on a 48 hour observation and IV antibiotics this past spring for a staph infection in my toe, the cardiologist and dietician showed up in my room to inform me that I was being put on a diabetic diet and they would monitor my BG and give insulin if needed. This before they even asked what my BG's were or even did an A1c (which still wouldn't give a pic of where I'd been the previous month).

So I tell both that they are to remove the restrictions since the diabetic diet was ADA and was 140gm of carb a day *and* low fat. Great...I can have potatoes but not butter.

The argued with me and I finally told them that if had to, my husband would bring meals in to me but I would not be eating their diet because I'd go from under 100 BG's to over 200 in a heartbeat, whereas right now I was controlling it without meds and keeping it under 100.

The cardiologist said (and with a straight face), "That's what they make insulin for."...and the dietician just stood their shaking her head foolishly in agreement.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SkinnyB212
Stats: 5'5 200/*140*/125
WOE: Atkins, South Beach, Smoothie
Start Date: August 1, 2013!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I actually have something for this... I was normal weight as a child, teen, and young adult. But when I started Atkins last May, I was category 2 obese. I had chronic lower back pain and zero stamina. Now that I've lost 93.5 pounds people who've known me for a long time have been telling me how "easy" it is for "someone like me" to lose weight. A girl I grew up with actually said, "Well, you've always been skinny inside." What could that possibly mean?!?! I wasn't "skinny" anywhere when I was 235 pounds at 5'4" tall with a 38" waist and 46" hips.

I haven't been doing this fat loss work to get *credit* from people, I've been doing it to get healthy. But I find it annoyingly condescending to have people tell me that 14 months of hard gym training and constant dietary vigilance has been "easy" for me because I have some sort of special advantage. I haven't just had one or two people say something like this. Since I've been back in my hometown of Chicago this summer, I've probably had a couple dozen people tell me how "easily" I can lose bodyfat -- including experienced bodybuilders who should understand how much work I've been doing.
...you are an inspiration! I hit 230 WHRN I was PG both times. I managed to lose 70 after my first and many said, "oh it's easy for you". Yes, so easy waking up at 5am to do my workouts. Yes so easy to not eat my favorite foods as I watch my hubby eat pizza, cookies, chips, ice ream, etc and still maintain his 6'1- 175 frame. So easy to watch other moms & celebrities talk about how you lose weight running around after your kids..only to,find out from my friend who is a personal trainer in Cali that these celeb moms starve themselves & workout 4 hours a day to get back in shape. Now after 2 kids & back up to 200 I have committed to Atkins & working out, only to have others try to derail my plans & tell me I should be happy & fat because I am a mom now! Well I am a person and I have to do what is best for me and that means getting my body back to a size 4 and 140 lbs. I am a muscular build that had the measurements of 34-24-34 and 145 before my babies. I will do it. I am giving myself 4 lbs to lose 60 lbs
SkinnyB212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
"That's what they make insulin for."...and the dietician just stood their shaking her head foolishly in agreement.
MORONS!! Clearly never read a medical journal in their lives
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyB212 View Post
So easy to watch other moms & celebrities talk about how you lose weight running around after your kids..only to,find out from my friend who is a personal trainer in Cali that these celeb moms starve themselves & workout 4 hours a day to get back in shape. Now after 2 kids & back up to 200 I have committed to Atkins & working out, only to have others try to derail my plans & tell me I should be happy & fat because I am a mom now! Well I am a person and I have to do what is best for me and that means getting my body back to a size 4 and 140 lbs. I am a muscular build that had the measurements of 34-24-34 and 145 before my babies. I will do it. I am giving myself 4 lbs to lose 60 lbs
Good for you! And that's my biggest annoyance ever, women pretending their postpartum weightloss was effortless. Most thin people actively watch their weight, but for some reason decide to keep it a secret, as if it somehow makes you superior to pretend you don't do "anything" and still maintain your weight. It wd actually be so helpful to overweight people if they shared the fact that it's a lifelong commitment...so people could stop viewing dieting as a one- time ordeal to get thru. Rant over.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote