Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jannag2000
Stats: 204/196/165
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: may 27 2013
slow weight loss, starting week 4 of induction

Hello,
Thanks for all the posts, the information had been helpful and encouraging, however, I am worried. You guys are so smart and such a wealth of information, I am looking to you for advice. I am 36, 5'7 196 lbs, im a nurse so i'm pretty active at work, I just don't know what else to do.

I am starting week 4 on induction I lost 9.5 lbs the first 2 Weeks, and now nothing. Here's my menu

3eggs breakfast with 2 cups coffee and sugar free coffee mate that I measure to be 1 serving each

Kale salad with red wine vinegar and olive oil with chicken or tuna salad for lunch

Steak or chicken with a salad or asparagus for dinner

If I need dessert I'll have a spoonful of redi whip or SF jello

On my fitness pal I usually show 65% fat 7-10% carbs

I have not seen any weight loss at all for over a week, it makes me want to quit and have a cupcake. The weight is not melting off of me like i've heard and read about, i'm so sad and disappointed.

Thanks in advance
jannag2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
menu-- some people can do coffee mate and redi whip and some can't.

Overall, it takes some bodies awhile to adapt to using fat instead of carbs for fuel. While that metabolism change is going on, weight loss may slow or stop, but the process of adapting is still going on. Eventually (and I wish I had an absolute timeframe, but I don't because we are all different), your body will be 'trained' to look to your stored body fat for fuel, and your losses will/may speed up.

And I'd encourage you to measure, or to pick out a pair of pants/shirt that are too tight right now. Even if you don't lose pounds, you could lose inches and a clothing size. I'd rather be smaller than lighter.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
bmf
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bmf
Thanks for your post. I seem to have the same problem and almost the exact menu.It's 4 weeks now and slow. But, I tried on some old tight shirts and they're starting to fit.So I'm not gonna give up and see what happens....Time

Last edited by bmf; 06-18-2013 at 12:55 PM..
bmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmf View Post
Thanks for your post. I seem to have the same problem and almost the exact menu.It's 4 weeks now and slow. But, I tried on some old tight shirts and they're starting to fit.So I'm not gonna give up and see what happens....Time
Good for you.
I get upset when people try the plan and then get frustrated and stop right when they're about to find their groove with low carbing. I'm not saying you'll lose 10 lbs a week or anything, but you're almost guaranteed to lose fat, weight, and clothing sizes while you eat to satisfaction from good, healthy food.

A long-time poster here charted her losses, and someone brought it up recently in a discussion. I want to share it with you, because it shows what time can do.

Impatience Killed The Cat .. or Why To Stop Obsessing and Tweaking ...
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
Good for you.
I get upset when people try the plan and then get frustrated and stop right when they're about to find their groove with low carbing. I'm not saying you'll lose 10 lbs a week or anything, but you're almost guaranteed to lose fat, weight, and clothing sizes while you eat to satisfaction from good, healthy food.

A long-time poster here charted her losses, and someone brought it up recently in a discussion. I want to share it with you, because it shows what time can do.

Impatience Killed The Cat .. or Why To Stop Obsessing and Tweaking ...
wow and thank you for posting this, I think all the stories of people melting out of their fat is great but it can be upsetting when it doesn't happen to you,.i'm not am expert low carber so I guess I just need to hear that i'm not the only one who feels like they are still fat, I'll keep working, won't give up and I'll post updates'

Thanks so much, hope to read more posts
Old 06-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannag2000 View Post
wow and thank you for posting this, I think all the stories of people melting out of their fat is great but it can be upsetting when it doesn't happen to you,.i'm not am expert low carber so I guess I just need to hear that i'm not the only one who feels like they are still fat, I'll keep working, won't give up and I'll post updates'

Thanks so much, hope to read more posts
Do keep us updated, please, and remember that you're better off than you were before. You're moving in the right direction. KUTGW.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RonJaws
Stats: 212.7/205.6/190(mini goal)175(ultimate goal)
Start Date: 6/12/13
RonJaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
slow weight loss?
how many lbs were you losing before starting this WOE?
exactly.

I don't want that to come across harsh, but 10lbs in 2 weeks is GREAT going, and sometimes it stalls, but you're heading in the right direction and that's what's important, it's a change for life.

Keep at it, and remember, everyone's different
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84k View Post
slow weight loss?
how many lbs were you losing before starting this WOE?
exactly.

I don't want that to come across harsh, but 10lbs in 2 weeks is GREAT going, and sometimes it stalls, but you're heading in the right direction and that's what's important, it's a change for life.

Keep at it, and remember, everyone's different
Thank you, I think 10 pounds is great too, its just that I haven't lost any in almost 2 Weeks, I thought it was early for a stall, i'm trying to lose 35 or 40 total, I thought I would have a more steady decline in weight, i'm still at it thanks to all of your encouraging advice
Old 06-24-2013, 04:02 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

I gained 1 pound, i'm tweaking the diet to have less protein and more fast, also I added vitamin d3 to my daily supplements and I will only weigh myself once a week
Old 06-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannag2000 View Post
I gained 1 pound, i'm tweaking the diet to have less protein and more fast, also I added vitamin d3 to my daily supplements and I will only weigh myself once a week
Excellent. You're tweaking the plan in a thoughtful way. That's WAY better than saying "forget this, I'm having a donut."

Your start date is very close to the day I rededicated to eating absolutely on plan (I'm an old lowcarber... did well with loss and maintaining, then recently gained back)

Week1: May 29-Jun 4 7.6 pounds lost
Week 2---Jun 5-11 ZERO pounds lost (i went up and then i went back down)
Week 3—Jun 12-18 1.2 pounds lost
Week 4- Jun 19-25 didn't weigh most of the week, but stepped on the scale yesterday and today, and I was down 0.8 lbs each day and I'm not done with the week yet.

Total= 12.8 pounds lost in 26 days, or almost a half a pound a day.
Amazingly fast? no. Feeling better and moving in the right direction? Absolutely yes.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RonJaws
Stats: 212.7/205.6/190(mini goal)175(ultimate goal)
Start Date: 6/12/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
Excellent. You're tweaking the plan in a thoughtful way. That's WAY better than saying "forget this, I'm having a donut."

Your start date is very close to the day I rededicated to eating absolutely on plan (I'm an old lowcarber... did well with loss and maintaining, then recently gained back)

Week1: May 29-Jun 4 7.6 pounds lost
Week 2---Jun 5-11 ZERO pounds lost (i went up and then i went back down)
Week 3—Jun 12-18 1.2 pounds lost
Week 4- Jun 19-25 didn't weigh most of the week, but stepped on the scale yesterday and today, and I was down 0.8 lbs each day and I'm not done with the week yet.

Total= 12.8 pounds lost in 26 days, or almost a half a pound a day.
Amazingly fast? no. Feeling better and moving in the right direction? Absolutely yes.
DONUT....
RonJaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #14

I saw what you did there, ronjaws.

Just came back in here to talk about the time frame for ketosis/ketoadaption/fat burning.

The goal of the first few days, sometimes up to 2 weeks, is to get the carbs out of our system. Might see a really nice drop as the body releases the gunk and the water it needs to digest/handle/metabolize the gunk.

Weeks 2-5 or thereabouts, the body is getting used to burning two sources of fuel--- what we eat and our stored fat. It's a new way of doing things, so the body might feel confused and might not be very good at it yet.

After that, and again I wish I had an exact time frame, the body catches on that protein and fat from food and stored fat from our fat cells is what it is supposed to be burning. And now you're REALLY on your way.

This "on your way" time is a good time to be mindful of your portion sizes--Now that you're seeing the appetite-supressing benefits of being keto-adapted, make sure you are eating to satisfaction and not beyond. And now that your body is healing after ridding itself of the junk it used to get for fuel, see if it feels/tastes good to cut back on the not-good foods you use to make food more tasty --cheese in moderation is fine, but maybe broccoli tastes better with a grind of parmesan instead of a cup of cheese sauce, and maybe a dill pickle with a piece of beef really does curb a hankering for a sugar-free sweet treat.

Don't mean to preach, but I see so many people give up right when the magic starts to happen. And if a stall happens, so what? Follow through, stay true to your plan, and think about how much better you feel. The weight will come off. Keep calm and carry on.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Who and what is saying that you haven't lost in the past 2 weeks? The scale? Does the scale know that you are retaining a little water, that you haven't pooped, that you ate a bit more yesterday?

Even weighing once a week can show gains that aren't true gains.

Just keep at it.

I'm tracking my daily weight right now and last week showed only a 0.1 lb average loss from the week before. That is nothing...or is it? It's down. Oh, but I showed almost a 0.5% drop in bodyfat (yes, I have a fancy schmanzy scale.)

We have to find a way to not get so hung up on numbers. Yet at the same time I'm hung up on my numbers. In the past (mega yoyoer here btw) I've done rolling averages. Right now I'm doing straight weekly averages, and as long as there is a drop, no matter how slight, I know I'm losing. Yet within a week I might weigh a few pounds more one day that makes it look like I'm gaining.

Follow induction, get the junk out, let your body turn in to a fat burning machine (I am there, I can tell) and find a way to track/chart the numbers so you take out the high numbers that mess with your head.

Oh, when I see a new low weight, I'm guaranteed to see it go up the next day for a good 4-5 days, then start moving back to the low number, then drop again lower (for my new low) then back up. It's seriously down up up down up up down. But it goes down.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:16 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Thank you both, you have suck wonderful information, I will keep calm and carry on and I will commit to measuring my progress other ways, like I said earlier there are so many stories of weight melting off people, I guess I was blinded by the hope for some of that magic, I didn't gain weight by magic so I won't lose it that way, thank you so much for helping to educate me and keep me motivated
Old 06-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
You don't hear to many stories here of the weight melting off, especially from those of us who have low carbed before and are now older. But you will hear many success stories of people who have stayed the course over a longer period of time and succeeded, not only in losing weight but in making health gains. Settle in for a good journey.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Bella