Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chrisdbassplayer
Stats: 345/299/260
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: April 29th 2013
what to do at a plateau?

I'm on my 6th week of using induction. It seems to work well for me for a while. Last time I started I did 6 weeks and lost 30 pounds and the weight loss grinded to a halt. Unfortuntely I quickly got upset and gave up on everything after a couple of bad weeks of no movement on the scale.

This time I want to stay focused and not give up. I could really use some helpful advice on planning for the plateau this time! Anyone else struggle with a weight plateau on induction?
I usually continue eating the same things as when I started. I never stray from the same menu I eat regularly which keeps me under 20 carbs daily. I have added a few changes this time. I am staying away from the artifical sweetners and diet sodas and caffeine only drinking water. Anyone have any thoughts or plans of how you kept moving forward?

thanks
chrisdbassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 220/186/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2013
I would stick with what you've been doing so far, since it worked for you. We all hit periods where the weight loss slows/stops. It will eventually start back again. I've had periods of 2-3 weeks multiple times where I didn't lose anything and it always starts up again eventually. Sometimes your body just needs a break. Hang in there! It is so worth it!!
Julie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Exactly.

My advice is always to change nothing. A stall is six weeks with no inches or weight lost. Until you get to that point, I strongly recommend you stay the course. The body uses those times to catch up on the losses so far, and it'll get back into gear fairly soon. If you start changing things when you don't need to, you won't know if the scale is eventually moving again because of those changes, or because of time.

Also, I really hope you're measuring. Even when the scale isn't moving, the body is often shifting composition and shrinking.

I went through a period of almost three months when I lost about two pounds total, and six weeks within that period with no loss at all. But I was not in a stall. My body continued to shrink, and I went down a solid size in that time.

Be honest about how much you're eating, but be patient.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chrisdbassplayer
Stats: 345/299/260
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: April 29th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Also, I really hope you're measuring. Even when the scale isn't moving, the body is often shifting composition and shrinking.

Thanks Julie and Ntombi for the encouragment and I am measuring weekly and have a chart that I started this time. having this site here has helped alot already. I come here everyday and read. It really makes me feel like I'm on the journey with a group instead of a one man show!
chrisdbassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

So glad to hear it!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahnya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Exactly.

My advice is always to change nothing. A stall is six weeks with no inches or weight lost. Until you get to that point, I strongly recommend you stay the course. The body uses those times to catch up on the losses so far, and it'll get back into gear fairly soon. If you start changing things when you don't need to, you won't know if the scale is eventually moving again because of those changes, or because of time.

I went through a period of almost three months when I lost about two pounds total, and six weeks within that period with no loss at all. But I was not in a stall. My body continued to shrink, and I went down a solid size in that time.

I just saw in your Sig you have ms. Both my aunt and her daughter suffer from this and I was wondering if the low carb diet helped?
sarahnya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnya View Post
I just saw in your Sig you have ms. Both my aunt and her daughter suffer from this and I was wondering if the low carb diet helped?
Not particularly. I wish it did, and I know some people have found that it has, but I'm not one of them.

My best to your aunt and cousin.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:53 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Chris: Keep calm and carry on.

Sarahnya: My friend is a long time low carber who lost over 60 lbs (Atkins) and has used moderately low carbs to maintain for years. One indirect benefit for her is that at a lower stable weight it is easier for her team to keep her medication dosages right. She says MS is 10% disease and 90% side effects from the meds.

Last edited by emel; 06-26-2013 at 02:56 AM..
emel is online now   Reply With Quote