Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Candiceena
Stats: 180/167/122
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18 2013
Did something I've never done before - emptied my cupboards!

Hi all-

Just wanted to pop in here and share some excitment with all of you. I have decided to start the Induction level of Atkins tomorrow. I will be officially restricting carbs instead of just kind of winging it like I've done in the past.

To kick off this exciting new time in my life I've done something that I have never done before when beginning a new diet - I emptied my cupboards and tossed anything that would be considered off plan if there was even a remote chance I would be tempted to eat it (the two things that survived include peanut butter & bbq sauce which belong to the BF - I hate PB so no concerns there and also hate bbq, lol).

I have been perusing these boards for the past few weeks and am so impressed at the success, motivation, and encouragement on here! Some things that have really stuck out to me are...

- the dedication some of you have shown... staying on plan for a year, despite only small (or nonexistent) losses from month to month
- tough love; excuses aren't accepted but guidance is offered
- explanations for how you stay on plan - explaining that the pain of staying the same became so great that the option/chance to make a change was welcome

I felt like that today. I stepped on the scale after a week of "eating OK" (this means that I have been constantly aware of the need to eat well but have essentially disregarded it and eaten unhealthy/fattening foods - yet since it's been on my MIND the whole time, from a psychological standpoint I feel like I've been devoting all my attention/energy to it). Anyway - I stepped on the scale and say 170. I about sat on the toilet and cried. Today, all morning, the shame, the frustration, the desperation, the pain, the anger at myself...I feel like it all came lose. I feel like it said "HERE I AM. THIS IS WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO BE FAT...DO YOU LIKE THIS FEELING?" and it was as if suddenly, a light bulb went off. It wasn't "oh, I'll just eat fruit because it's fruit and it's healthy, even though it's not part of plan" - it was "guess what?? you can eat fruit later!" I realized that there will be other opportunities in the future for things like fruit and cake and all the food I like to eat but know I shouldn't be eating. I will have a birthday in a year - and maybe then I'll be OK w/ having a slice of cake. There will be another summer next year full of the same blackberries and strawberries that I'm going to pass on this year.

It is such a great feeling.

I know there will be times when it will be tough but today my heart and my head came to an agreement that "it's time". The pain, shame, frustration, and embarassment I feel (both emotionally and physically) are no longer worth constant cheat meals and unhealthy foods.
Candiceena is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
I know that moment too. You described it so well you made me cry (also TOM is visiting).

You can do this, and all it takes is training yourself to say no, to think differently when it comes to food choices. There are so many delicious low carb foods, you do NOT have to deprive yourself of nummy goodness, just have different nummy goodness
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
It sure sounds like you are mentally ready to start. I think the mental part is so important. Is your boyfriend committed to help you? He doesn't need to eat lowcarb to be supportive. Just ask that he doesn't eat a bunch of garbage in front of you or encourage you to eat off of plan, especially going out to eat. Decide ahead of time on a few "diet friendly" restaurants for when the time comes up to go out.

Good luck to you and keep mentally focused. We're here to support you. Oh, and do you have your Atkins book in hand?
Old 06-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
First, Welcome!!!
This really is a Great place, and yeah sometimes there is some Tough love but it always comes from a place of wanting to help and support. So many knowledgable people! it's really Awesome to have you with us!!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Candiceena
Stats: 180/167/122
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 18 2013
Thanks for the encouragement girls!

SweetMe - that is so sweet I am having TTOM too! but I went grocery shopping late last night and stocked up on LC food that I really love to eat and so started this morning off great!

Anette - yes, the BF is very supportive. He has not chosen to follow this WOE with me but he knows about it and he has agreed not to purchase any foods that are off-plan when we go grocery shopping. he loves to eat Meat products so he is actually pretty excited that I'll be eating more chicken and steak
Candiceena is offline   Reply With Quote