Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Happy&Healthy@40
Stats: 295/256/199
WOE: Gluten Free Atkins
Start Date: Jan 11, 2013
Exercise?

Hi all,

I'm new & have been scanning the site for the last few days.
I'm shocked how little exercise is being talked about - especially when people are stalling.

Is exercise not a part of everyone's health plan?
Happy&Healthy@40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
No it's not.

Some people already have active lives. Some people don't really talk about their exercise. Some people choose not to exercise, or start exercising later on. Some people can't exercise due to disabilities.

My mom is pretty disabled. Her 'exercise' is taking her dog across the parking lot a couple times a day. Since last fall she has lost 42 pounds following Atkins. This includes while she was on vacation, visiting family. It also includes times when she has 'stalled' for a couple weeks to a month. She is unable to do more than she does without needing a significant amount of pain med, which she refuses to take. But her health is still improving, and she has more energy. While on her vacation, she was thrilled to be able to sit on the floor and play with my brother's kids for a while.

My Journal

*Everything I say is my opinion or a sharing of my experiences.
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
And welcome to LCF

Last edited by SweetMe678; 05-29-2013 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: to finish my sentence
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:24 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Exercise is not a primary focus on Atkins. General daily activity is great for those who can do it, or do it all ready. Some people might have to lose some weight first before starting an exercise program. Others might find that too much exercise stimulates their appetite too much.

Also, switching from glucose burning to fat burning doesn't just happen overnight and many people just feel crummy for a few days, weeks or even months.

I'm in week 4 (yes, I've done this before) and have periods of crazy energy. I overwalked this weekend, couldn't keep my backside in a chair, and now my hips are killing me, so I have to back off.

I'm excited to get more exercise in as my body adapts, but I have to remember to go slowly.

Personally I use a fitbit and just like to see that I've gotten enough daily activity, like walking and just moving around. I also dance, have my elliptical (which I don't use enough) and do some resistance work (not enough though).
Old 05-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 220/186/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/1/2013
I exercise on the treadmill 3 times a week for 3 miles at 6% incline. For me, I don't think it has much impact on my weight loss. However, it makes me feel better and I know it will make me healthier. I think quite a few folks in this forum include exercise as part of their lifestyle, but the discussions tend to focus mainly on the LC WOE.
Julie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
There are some exercise threads, if you look around.
For me, although I do exercise some, it's much less than I've done in past time sin terms of strenuous exercise. Exercise is third on my goals right now, after no alcohol and low carb diet I plan to increase it this summer, but I am at the age I can no longer "work off" my weight as I could when I was younger.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pinkcadillac
Stats: 150/134/125
Start Date: March /04
just my opinion, but i feel everyone needs to exercise, (and i do believe dr. a was all for exercise as well)
pinkcadillac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Happy&Healthy@40
Stats: 295/256/199
WOE: Gluten Free Atkins
Start Date: Jan 11, 2013
I agree Pink! I hope everyone gets their sweat on & works some muscles every day!
Happy&Healthy@40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
I agree, everyone needs physical activity, and the type, level of activity, etc is different for everyone, depending on age, health concerns and whatnot. I was a lazy, lazy bum for most of my life, and probably the most "inactive" person I know. I'm changing that now!

No one needs exercise to lose weight, but for good health, yes I agree, it's necessary.
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: theclimb
Stats: 184.7/175.2/125
Start Date: June 3, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy&Healthy@40 View Post
Hi all,

I'm new & have been scanning the site for the last few days.
I'm shocked how little exercise is being talked about - especially when people are stalling.

Is exercise not a part of everyone's health plan?
I also have a fitbit and have set some pretty high daily goals. I am also pretty sure it has helped me my first week.

However, I am almost one year post op for some pretty big surgeries and am now just finding the energy to even do my exercise plan. Not everybody can do lots of exercise, especially when they are just starting out in a new way of life. I think most people do what they are capable of doing. They may just not post it as this is really a forum dedicated to a way of eating and not an exercising forum.
theclimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RonJaws
Stats: 212.7/205.6/190(mini goal)175(ultimate goal)
Start Date: 6/12/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcadillac View Post
just my opinion, but i feel everyone needs to exercise, (and i do believe dr. a was all for exercise as well)
I agree and I'm JUST reading the book now (the updated version from 2002 i believe) and he was a BIG advocate of excercising.
RonJaws is offline   Reply With Quote