Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   Exercise? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/805026-exercise.html)

Happy&Healthy@40 05-29-2013 02:38 PM

Exercise?

Hi all,

I'm new & have been scanning the site for the last few days.
I'm shocked how little exercise is being talked about - especially when people are stalling.

Is exercise not a part of everyone's health plan?

SweetMe678 05-29-2013 05:05 PM

No it's not.

Some people already have active lives. Some people don't really talk about their exercise. Some people choose not to exercise, or start exercising later on. Some people can't exercise due to disabilities.

My mom is pretty disabled. Her 'exercise' is taking her dog across the parking lot a couple times a day. Since last fall she has lost 42 pounds following Atkins. This includes while she was on vacation, visiting family. It also includes times when she has 'stalled' for a couple weeks to a month. She is unable to do more than she does without needing a significant amount of pain med, which she refuses to take. But her health is still improving, and she has more energy. While on her vacation, she was thrilled to be able to sit on the floor and play with my brother's kids for a while. :D

SweetMe678 05-29-2013 05:08 PM

And welcome :welcome: to LCF

AnnetteW 05-30-2013 06:24 AM

Exercise is not a primary focus on Atkins. General daily activity is great for those who can do it, or do it all ready. Some people might have to lose some weight first before starting an exercise program. Others might find that too much exercise stimulates their appetite too much.

Also, switching from glucose burning to fat burning doesn't just happen overnight and many people just feel crummy for a few days, weeks or even months.

I'm in week 4 (yes, I've done this before) and have periods of crazy energy. I overwalked this weekend, couldn't keep my backside in a chair, and now my hips are killing me, so I have to back off.

I'm excited to get more exercise in as my body adapts, but I have to remember to go slowly.

Personally I use a fitbit and just like to see that I've gotten enough daily activity, like walking and just moving around. I also dance, have my elliptical (which I don't use enough) and do some resistance work (not enough though).

Julie1972 05-30-2013 12:10 PM

I exercise on the treadmill 3 times a week for 3 miles at 6% incline. For me, I don't think it has much impact on my weight loss. However, it makes me feel better and I know it will make me healthier. I think quite a few folks in this forum include exercise as part of their lifestyle, but the discussions tend to focus mainly on the LC WOE.

Patience 05-30-2013 04:25 PM

There are some exercise threads, if you look around.
For me, although I do exercise some, it's much less than I've done in past time sin terms of strenuous exercise. Exercise is third on my goals right now, after no alcohol and low carb diet I plan to increase it this summer, but I am at the age I can no longer "work off" my weight as I could when I was younger.

pinkcadillac 06-01-2013 05:11 AM

just my opinion, but i feel everyone needs to exercise, (and i do believe dr. a was all for exercise as well)

Happy&Healthy@40 06-02-2013 08:44 AM

I agree Pink! I hope everyone gets their sweat on & works some muscles every day! :)

Avy 06-02-2013 11:11 AM

I agree, everyone needs physical activity, and the type, level of activity, etc is different for everyone, depending on age, health concerns and whatnot. I was a lazy, lazy bum for most of my life, and probably the most "inactive" person I know. I'm changing that now!

No one needs exercise to lose weight, but for good health, yes I agree, it's necessary.

theclimb 06-10-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy&Healthy@40 (Post 16445802)
Hi all,

I'm new & have been scanning the site for the last few days.
I'm shocked how little exercise is being talked about - especially when people are stalling.

Is exercise not a part of everyone's health plan?

I also have a fitbit and have set some pretty high daily goals. I am also pretty sure it has helped me my first week.

However, I am almost one year post op for some pretty big surgeries and am now just finding the energy to even do my exercise plan. Not everybody can do lots of exercise, especially when they are just starting out in a new way of life. I think most people do what they are capable of doing. They may just not post it as this is really a forum dedicated to a way of eating and not an exercising forum.

RonJaws 06-12-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkcadillac (Post 16449559)
just my opinion, but i feel everyone needs to exercise, (and i do believe dr. a was all for exercise as well)

I agree and I'm JUST reading the book now (the updated version from 2002 i believe) and he was a BIG advocate of excercising. :newbie: