Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   Newbie here (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/805025-newbie-here.html)

Rstephen 05-29-2013 02:33 PM

Newbie here

Hi, my story is alot like everyone else's except that 10years ago I had gastric bypass surgery. I lost 140 lbs, but now I have gradually gained back40. I tried ww for about six months and it didn't work. I have been on a version of low carb, no sugar, no bread, and no fruit even since May first, and have lost about 11 pounds. I feel like this is not as much as I expected, but I feel so much better, that I am going to try to stay on it. I was so happy to find some online help and even an app for low carbing. My question is what is the least amount of carbs should I try to have daily? I am 57 and have a very slow metabolism. Thanks again for the great inspiration, recipes and low carb products.

Ntombi 05-29-2013 02:36 PM

If you're trying to follow Atkins, induction starts with 20g per day, from non-starchy veggies, dairy, eggs, and some meats.

If you look at the sticky at the top of the forum, you'll find guidelines. Or you can look up the rules of induction on the Atkins site. The information is free.

Happy&Healthy@40 05-29-2013 02:41 PM

Hi Rstephen!
Good luck & keep going!
Slow & steady win the race :)

Rstephen 05-29-2013 02:55 PM

Thanks so much!

RonJaws 06-12-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rstephen (Post 16445835)
Thanks so much!

How are you doing so far? This is my first day, feel full which is great.

indiucky 06-12-2013 02:30 PM

Hi Rstephen,

First of all, I feel your regain pain and send oodles of empathy your way! I havenít had surgery (yet), but I lost 50 pounds six years ago and over the past few years have gained it all - plus some - back. The lifelong weight struggle can be such a major kick in the olí keaster!

My husband had gastric bypass surgery this past December. So far, so good. He's lost 105 pounds and still has another 20 to 30 to go. After seeing his great success, I have been thinking about having the surgery as well, as I need to lose 100 pounds. However, I am not really sure that I want to have this permanent, life-changing surgery. I still have eating issues in my head, and I know that surgery is not a magic-bullet solution. So, I have decided to give the low-carb dieting another go. I have had success eating this way in the past, but once I stopped doing all the right stuff, the bad habits crept back in and of course, the weight returned.

I want to help my husband avoid failure down the road and I wanted to ask you if you have had any trouble post-bypass with the higher fat content of the low-carb diet. I am hoping that together we can do the low-carb lifestyle and help each other conquer the weight monster for good.

Keep up the great work and hang in there! You can do it!!

KomoRachel 06-12-2013 09:44 PM

I too feel your regain PAIN! I lost 90lbs in 1.5 years and felt great. Divorced and met someone, gained 30 back :( and to some it may not seem like much, but i was down to 120 so...150 looks like 190 right now :( I have restarted many times in the past 2 years and am just sick of myself for giving up all the time. I hate it and I am fed up!!!!! I need support for sure...day 3 today, haven't weighed in yet and won't until I think Friday or Saturday. last i weighed in @ 151.6

cmcd1070 06-16-2013 08:42 AM

I had WLS almost 2.5 years ago. I didn't gain but I did stop losing, well before goal. I'm slowly getting to goal now on Atkins.

I have major problems with the fat consumption. I wasn't a sugar dumper, I was a fat dumper. So Atkins is slower going for me. I have to keep the fat levels lower than you would ideally have them for Atkins weight loss. But still, cutting out carbs I am losing weight. Which I had stopped doing about a year out from surgery.