Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fathaze
Am I doing this right?

Hello everyone, I am new to this site, and was hoping for a little bit of advice.

I am on day 3 of the Atkins diet. I bought ketostix today and it showed that I was moderate level ketosis (not quite the dark purple, but the one next to it).

I am not counting net carbs, I am counting total carbs, and I have been having no more than 28g of total carbs a day, and about 1600 calories.

My menu for the past three days is - Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 lean bacon, mushrooms fried in a drizzle of olive oil

Lunch: A piece of cooked chicken or lamb, An Atkins chocolate indulgent bar (says suitable for all stages and I count all of the carbs, not just the net carbs)

Dinner: Lamb steaks, spinach, rocket and watercress salad and a thick slice of feta cheese or haloumi cheese, drizzle of olive oil.

Snack: A pepperami stick

I have not lost anything so far, but I know I am in ketosis now. I see that some people have lost something silly like 10 lbs in a week. At the end of my third day, I am wondering if this is going to work, it's a bit discouraging to not have even lost 1 ounce.

I would be grateful for any feedback guys! Thanks!
fathaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Well, I wouldn't expect much in three days, and the big losses you've referenced are rare, and almost always experienced by people who have a lot to lose.

That said, other than the Atkins bar, your diet looks fine. I would be careful with those products because they stall a LOT of people. The only way to know how your body reacts is to see, but many people can't drink the shakes and lose well, and the bars are even worse. Most people I know have to stay far away from the bars. Just FYI.

I strongly recommend that you stick to real food as much as possible. And welcome to the board! I look forward to reading about your progress.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 05-29-2013 at 12:47 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thank you so much, Ntombi! I have been reading the same thing time and time again about those bars. I'm gutted, because I have such a sweet tooth, I wonder if I could manage without them. Seriously, I was terrible, I used to eat 3 bars of chocolate a day on top of piles of other junk.

So can everyone tell me that if you are supposed of have no more than 25g a day, does it really matter where those 25g come from? (Bearing in mind I am talking about total carbs, not net carbs).

So gutted about the bars. :-(
Old 05-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisap36
Stats: 295/279.5/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 05/06/2013
Do you think there's enough fat in there Ntombi? Questions, questions.
lisap36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Really? All that olive oil?! I'm scared to up it.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes it matters where they come from. They should come from whole sources, like non-starchy veggies and dairy. And don't forget that eggs and even some meats have carbs, so it's not as easy yo stay within your limit as you'd first think.

As for fat, it's hard to tell. I tend not to count fat or protein, just eat moderate amounts of protein and get the rest of my calories from fat. You don't want to eat too much protein, because the amount your body doesn't need to feed and preserve your lean body mass is converted to glucose in the body, decreasing your level of ketosis and slowing down your fat loss. But you need to get enough calories, so you make up the difference with fat, which does not have that issue, is satiating, and encourages your body to burn both dietary and body fat.

I know it's a hard thing to consider if you're coming from a low fat mindset, but fat isn't the enemy. And olive oil is far from your only option.

That said, you might be eating a great amount. I really wouldn't change anything, other than dropping the bars. At least for now.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

I am using ************ to tally up my total carbs every day after adding every morsel that I eat.

Thank you for the good advice. I will certainly bear that all in mind. It seems difficult to get my head around losing weight f I am eating 1600-1700 calories a day. Do you guys count calories?

Yes, seems I must drop the bar. But if I do, is it still ok to eat that amount of calories if I am following everything to the letter and eating fats and a moderate amount of proteins?

Thanks for the wise words. I'm a bit lost at the moment, I feel this is my last chance of getting somewhere, I just feel so hungry on every other diet.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

I don't count calories, no. I am naturally eating enough to be satisfied, not overdoing, and when I do sometimes put everything into my app (an every once in a while thing, as I pretty much know what to eat), I seem to be eating between 1600-1900 calories, with some outliers. That seems to be a good range for me to keep losing fat and I don't feel deprived.

The number is different for everyone, though, and some people need to restrict calories as they get closer to goal. You'll have to see if that's something you'll need to do.

It'll get easier to figure things out, and to see what works for you.

Last edited by Ntombi; 05-29-2013 at 03:20 PM..
Old 05-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
I hate to seem like a nitpicker, but it's no more than 20 carbs a day for the INDUCTION stage.
To make you feel a little better, counting net carbs is OK.

Last edited by DairyQueen; 05-30-2013 at 10:37 AM..
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
Start Date: February 2013
Lose the lean bacon and cook your eggs in butter. Don't fear the fat!!
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Skip the atkins bar and have homemade chocolate instead.
Easiest--- 2 oz softened cream cheese, 1 oz softened butter, a little vanilla, a little sweetener (I use 6 drops stevia and 3 squirts of liquid splenda-to-go),and a scant tbl of cocoa. Smoosh together very well, drop on waxed paper or a plastic plate, and freeze or refrigerate.

If you trust yourself with a bigger batch, look here. and then add 2-3 tbl cocoa or to taste.
CREAM CHEESE CLOUDS - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
I'm new to Atkins also.

Today makes two months. If I may share some of my own personal story with you: It took me 14 days to notice a change (physically see changes; my face got thinner) and it took 19 days for the first person to acknowledge they were seeing a change in my body/weight due to the Atkins diet. Yes, it does get discouraging and when you hit stalls and snags you may ask yourself 'is this even worth it?' YES, absolutely it is. I've learned that if you do your part (following the Atkins plan and the 20 carbs/net carbs a day) the body will do its part (dropping the pounds).

I've already mentioned the first 14 days, well after that for a week or 2 I noticed nothing and got very discouraged, but I continued. I stayed committed to the 20g a day (sometimes less if i could manage it) and then all of a sudden one day I noticed how "big" a dress-shirt felt on me. I had to smile. Then it was time to put on the pants. I noticed that my belt was too big. Rather than put a new notch in it, I went out and got a new smaller belt the next day. It's just the little and unexpected victories that makes this diet plan so great (JMHO).

Just stick with it and I promise you, you will see results. It's a work in progress, but it's going to be progress you are glad you stuck with, I assure you.
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
You are an anomaly, newest...it usually takes months before others start to notice!!
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:50 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
Just read my posts, especially my latest thread in the main lobby fathaze - for some of us it just takes some time, and tweaking, but it'll happen. Personally though, i'd lose the bacon, atkins bar and pepperami and try and get more fats.
84k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: katie341
Stats: 211/207/160
Start Date: June 2013
Hi, I am also looking for info. I have heard people say not to have too much cheese? Should I be eating more fat then protein?
katie341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:50 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie341 View Post
Hi, I am also looking for info. I have heard people say not to have too much cheese? Should I be eating more fat then protein?
Some foods are allowed with limited quantities. From the Atkins site:

Quote:
4 ounces of most cheese (but not cottage cheese or ricotta), 10 black or 20 green olives, half a Haas avocado (the kind with a blackish pebbly skin), an ounce of sour cream or 2–3 tablespoons of cream, and up to 3 tablespoons of lemon or lime juice. The carbs in these foods must be counted in your 20 grams of Net Carbs.
And then somewhere on the nutritionists' blogs on the Atkins sites, I've seen that flax should be limited to 1 tbl per day.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: theclimb
Stats: 184.7/175.2/125
Start Date: June 3, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathaze View Post
Hello everyone, I am new to this site, and was hoping for a little bit of advice.

I am on day 3 of the Atkins diet. I bought ketostix today and it showed that I was moderate level ketosis (not quite the dark purple, but the one next to it).

I am not counting net carbs, I am counting total carbs, and I have been having no more than 28g of total carbs a day, and about 1600 calories.

My menu for the past three days is - Breakfast: 2 eggs, 2 lean bacon, mushrooms fried in a drizzle of olive oil

Lunch: A piece of cooked chicken or lamb, An Atkins chocolate indulgent bar (says suitable for all stages and I count all of the carbs, not just the net carbs)

Dinner: Lamb steaks, spinach, rocket and watercress salad and a thick slice of feta cheese or haloumi cheese, drizzle of olive oil.

Snack: A pepperami stick

I have not lost anything so far, but I know I am in ketosis now. I see that some people have lost something silly like 10 lbs in a week. At the end of my third day, I am wondering if this is going to work, it's a bit discouraging to not have even lost 1 ounce.

I would be grateful for any feedback guys! Thanks!
I am one of those "lucky" people that have experienced a significant drop my first week of Induction (9.4lbs). From my starting point, I have 60lbs to lose, so yes, a significant amount. (185->125).

However, I tried Atkins 3 times in the past with absolutely no luck. I went for 3 weeks each time, actually gaining in one before I became so discouraged I quit. But I was doing it on the fly, thinking I knew Atkins backwards and forwards.

Obviously I didn't.

I read here and on the Atkins sight and reacquainted myself with Atkins. I also read many threads and realized that some of the things I was eating were probably triggers for weight stalling. I was having an Atkins bar and shake for my breakfast every day. There are lots of tiny little other things that I learned here from other posters that were 'aha' moments for me. Itty bitty things that have made a huge difference.

Just keep tracking everything and reading threads here to gain more and more insight and you will learn more and more how your body responds. It will happen! It took me 4 tries (3 futile attempts because I wasn't doing any kind of reading or research and wasn't changing anything) to know how 'my' body does Atkins.

I don't know if this has been part of my crazy 1st week, but I am also tracking steps with a pedometer (fitbit) and have set exercise goals. I am doing 1 hour on a treadmill (on fatburn mode) daily which gets me half my steps and then little things to get my steps in. For instance, when my coffee is brewing, rather than stand there and watch it, I go out to the backyard and circle it once or twice. Neighbors probably think I am totally nuts. Whenever I go upstairs in our house, I always go back down the stairs once and then back up. Takes 30 seconds to do a second set of stairs, but it is the little things that add up (and gets me to my 25 stairs a day goal) A pedometer has been the best motivator I have ever had. I also have the 'personal trainer' on fitbit that is setting exercise goals for me targeted for my weight loss plan.

So, don't go by my crazy first week or anybody else's who had significant drops their first week. Besides adding in exercise this time, it has been a journey to learn what my body needs and what my body doesn't like. Everybody is different.

Hang in there, the more you do it, the more you will become familiar with your body.

Besides, slow and steady is much better than an initial whoosh and then stalling for awhile (what I am anticipating happening.) It all evens out in the end.
theclimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 84k
Stats: 280 > 205.2 > 200
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 7/5/2013
just to add in here, even if you have a "lot" to lose, it doesn't guarantee you will lose a big amount in the first week or 2, it depends on each individual.

case in point - I need to drop over 100, sw-280, I lost 2lbs in first week.
84k is offline   Reply With Quote