Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: chrisdbassplayer
Stats: 345/299/260
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: April 29th 2013
need advice

Hello Im new to the site, been on and off atkins several times. have been struggling with weight loss for several years have had many set backs. My question is I have been on induction now for 4 weeks. I usually stay on induction because its easier for me know what to eat and what not to eat so there is no questions where to draw the line. A big issue is, I have is portion control so induction never lets me go hungry. With that said I was considering taking a day off at the 6 week mark to go out with some friends. How much damage will I do if I take one day off and get right back to it the next day?
thanks
chrisdbassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
How much do you plan to eat on your day off?
If it's a major pig-out or binge, excuse the verbiage, you might do a lot of damage.
If you know your day will be only moderately off-plan you may be ok. What is the realistic chance, knowing what you know about yourself, that you would go right back to plan v. extending the indulgence to a second day?
It really depends . . . .
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
How much do you plan to eat on your day off?
If it's a major pig-out or binge, excuse the verbiage, you might do a lot of damage.
If you know your day will be only moderately off-plan you may be ok. What is the realistic chance, knowing what you know about yourself, that you would go right back to plan v. extending the indulgence to a second day?
It really depends . . . .
well to put a little more out there, my wifes family is planning a "family" trip to disney late in august. My goal is to lose as much weight as possible before the trip so I might have a chance to enjoy some of the rides. So right now I'm very goal driven, which seems to work for me. To me the day off would a meal with fried chicken, mashed potatos, corn and some ice cream for dessert. These are all things I desperately miss and think about frequently. I'm not gonna lie and say I dont have eating issues I know I do. But with a goal date in mind and focus on losing weight so I can enjoy something other than "FOOD". I'm certain I will start again the next day because this trip means that much to me. Also it doesnt hurt that I have support from my wife and no food other than "atkins friendly" food in the house, in the past we would have lots of junk food and various candy. Our house is now clean from junk food so it would be back to normal induction plan.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
It would depend with Me on whether I could get right back on plan again after eatting the HC stuff. With ME at 6 weeks I couldn't have trusted myself to eat HC stuff because I know I would have had a Very hard time getting back on track.
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: travellost
Stats: 186/170/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/28/2013
Some low carb plans do allow for a meal or day off.

Fried chicken is fine and on this plan. So it is the mash potatoes, corn and ice cream that may cause you to be off the plan. How about limiting the amount of mash potatoes and ice cream.

Here is a suggestion: While you are eating the mash potatoes try and understand why you like this food so much. Most potatoes are pretty bland and probably we like the extras not the startch. So think about less potatoes and more sour cream. cream cheese, butter, bacon or what every you love that is within plan.

As to the ice cream and corn I suggest to eat slow and enjoy. Then back on plan the next day.

I have chosen to go off plan for a day or a meal but I always start up the next morning but it does cause me to lose a week of losing weight. I also go on vacation and decide I can eat what I want BUT I really try to stay as close to the plan as possible. I also don't weigh for 3 days after the event so I won't be too upset with myself. I also drink alot of water and do alot of exercise.

Hope it works for you and have a great time disney.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 220/186/160
Start Date: 1/1/2013
I think it depends on how much you eat off plan and how your body reacts (YMMV). My last off plan meal was Easter Sunday. I only ate off plan for the one meal and the only dessert I had was a slice of LC cheesecake. I gained 3 lbs. thanks to the one meal and it took me a full week to get back to my Easter morning weight. In hind sight, it wasn't worth it to me given how long it took to get back to where I was. Now when I want a food treat or a special meal I will splurge and get a good steak, make a yummy LC dessert like cheesecake or indulge in some SF chocolates. Those are things I can only eat in moderation but they don't set me back and they feel like a special treat.

When you think about quitting, stop and remember why you started!!!

If you wanna fly, you have to give up that crap that weighs you down!

2013 Weight
1/1: 220, 2/1: 202, 3/1: 196, 4/1: 188, 5/1: 180, 6/1: 175, 7/1: 171, 8/1: 173, 9/1: 173, 10/1: 180, 11/1: 185, 12/1: 182
Julie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the helpful advice, its a hard road to stay LC but will be worth it in the long run. This site has already helped me alot. It's nice there is a community of LC people I often feel like I'm the only one attempting this.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
Start Date: February 2013
By the time late August comes the "thrill" of eating off plan will have diminished. You will have the confidence to tell your friends and family that you are eating minimal carbs and that you'll pass on the mash potatoes and ice cream....

I am not shy now about telling anyone what I wont eat. They see the results and don't argue or make many comments...

I don't tell others what they shouldn't eat though....I get people telling me "your body and brain need carbs and whole grains." I say, "not mine!"
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RonJaws
Stats: 212.7/205.6/190(mini goal)175(ultimate goal)
Start Date: 6/12/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by travellost View Post
Fried chicken is fine and on this plan.
IT IS???
RonJaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I suppose if it is fried without the breading we typically think of when we hear "fried chicken."

Last edited by Patience; 06-12-2013 at 01:26 PM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cmcd1070
Stats: pre-op 240/now 167/goal 130
WOE: Organic Low Carb
Start Date: WLS 2-8-11. Atkins (reboot) 4-7-14
If I go off plan, I am usually up 3-5 lbs for at least a week. So I keep that in mind when tempted to eat something off plan. I have to ask myself if it's worth stalling out for a week or so. Most of the time it's not (for me). And sugar is not an option for me. ever.

If you are looking to meet an ice cream craving, have you tried CarbSmart? It's rich and creamy vanilla flavored and made with splenda instead of sugar. It's only 5g net carbs per 1/2 cup serving. Also, have you tried mashed cauliflower made just like mashed potatoes? I've served them for Thanksgiving and didn't tell anyone and no one could tell the difference! Just throwing out options...

I know a lot of people who do this WOE who have planned off days and get right back on. So it's really not unheard of. Good luck!
cmcd1070 is offline   Reply With Quote