Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MsRoxbury
Stats: 216/180
WOE: Atkins
Newbie here!

I am planning to begin my LC journey the day after Memorial Day. I must admit I am a bit nervous as I have attempted a LC diet before and have not made it past the first week. Any suggestions or helpful tips?
MsRoxbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I suggest reading a book, either Dr Atkins Low carb rev or one of his other Great books and read it all. The get rid of All the high carb junk out of the house. Or if you can't get rid of it then have the people who eat that stuff to hide it from you so you're not tempted. Make sure your fridge/freezer is ready with yummy LC foods so you have no excuse on what to eat. And come here because we'll do everything we can to suppprt you! Welcome!!!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissLala
Stats: 278/277/165
Start Date: 5/16/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRoxbury View Post
I am planning to begin my LC journey the day after Memorial Day. I must admit I am a bit nervous as I have attempted a LC diet before and have not made it past the first week. Any suggestions or helpful tips?
Hi there and welcome! I'm new too but can you some of the emotional perspective as I hit day 8 today! I just want to say that making a decision to change your life is one you'll never regret. If you feel down or out at any time come here to the boards. There are some great people who have gone through the same things I or you may go through. And there are great testimonies of people losing the weight that will really motivate you. Let me say the scale may not be the best way to measure your success in the beginning. For me it's not but I can tell you I feel better physically than I have in a long time. Now thats just my case. Just be patient and take it one day at a time. You can do it.See yourself where you wanna be and you will get there. Welcome again!
MissLala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
If you can clean out your cupboards of non allowable food that can help. Some people can't do this of course, because they share their house with others. It's also good to plan a day or two ahead of time what you are going to eat. You don't want to end up overly hungry, so plan you menus with an allowable snack. No requirement that you eat the snack, but I think its good back up to have planned snacks. Also make a list and stick to it when you shops for grocs, and never go to the store hungry. Good luck, you can do it!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: inotl65
Start Date: May 2013
I am on day 5. I too have tried LC before and didn't stick to it because I expected these BIG (and fast) results that I read about at times. I now realize those quick results are not for everyone and I need to be patient. So I am at it again. I do know I feel better once I get the carb junk out of my system as Ive started induction about 3 times now. Hoping to get over the expectations and just go steady based on how well I feel. I dont have a problem with sweets being in the house but I have a BIG problem with breads, pastas and chips........ Without a lot of support from my hubby Ive found away to get the crunchiness I need from celery instead of chips, now if I can just find an alternative to bread I'll make it this time.
I absolutely LOVE this site and believe it will help me through with all the great info and advise!
inotl65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:21 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Julie1972
Stats: 220/186/160
Start Date: 1/1/2013
Welcome! I agree with Shelly. Preparation is the key. Reading the book is critical so you understand this WOE. Also having the right foods on hand will help a lot. I try to do a lot of cooking on the weekends so I have good food on hand during the week. I will cook a pork or beef roast and then use it during the week on salads, in soups, etc. Variety keeps me interested in the foods. Drinking water helps me with the bad taste in my mouth and it helps me feel full longer after eating. Reading and posting often in this forum helps me stay motivated and committed too. Look forward to sharing this journey with you!!

When you think about quitting, stop and remember why you started!!!

If you wanna fly, you have to give up that crap that weighs you down!

2013 Weight
1/1: 220, 2/1: 202, 3/1: 196, 4/1: 188, 5/1: 180, 6/1: 175, 7/1: 171, 8/1: 173, 9/1: 173, 10/1: 180, 11/1: 185, 12/1: 182
Julie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
There are hundreds of different bread recipes o this site, and if you google you'll find hundreds more. Most are not exactly bread, but allow you to have the "sandwich" or "muffin" or "cake" experience and still stay low carb. My personal favorite for the last year is still the one I've linked below. Also, I've found I've had the most success by not trying to recreate the high carb foods I used to eat, with low carb and often very calorie dense treats. Keep it simple.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...flour-mix.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by inotl65 View Post
I am on day 5. I too have tried LC before and didn't stick to it because I expected these BIG (and fast) results that I read about at times. I now realize those quick results are not for everyone and I need to be patient. So I am at it again. I do know I feel better once I get the carb junk out of my system as Ive started induction about 3 times now. Hoping to get over the expectations and just go steady based on how well I feel. I dont have a problem with sweets being in the house but I have a BIG problem with breads, pastas and chips........ Without a lot of support from my hubby Ive found away to get the crunchiness I need from celery instead of chips, now if I can just find an alternative to bread I'll make it this time.
I absolutely LOVE this site and believe it will help me through with all the great info and advise!

Officially down 50 lbs! Another 30 or so to my first goal, then I'll re-evaluate.

Couldn't do it without all the amazing support and motivation from this forum and all the wonderful people here.
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frogg
Stats: 220/154/140
Start Date: March 2013
Welcome! All great advice so far. I'd like to add that for me it helps when I think about all the delicious things I *can* have instead of dwelling on what I *can't* have. Just the little things like butter on my green beans or a low carb cheesecake or a fantastic steak make me appreciate the deliciousness I am allowed.
frogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:57 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/142/105
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Day one recommitting back 9/21/14
Lots of fat. With failures in the past, I've always realized I haven't eaten enough fat which should help to control the carb cravings. Ibuprofen, cinnamon and chromium for the first week and make sure you make some time to nap during the first week!!!!!
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/142/105
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Day one recommitting back 9/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogg View Post
Welcome! All great advice so far. I'd like to add that for me it helps when I think about all the delicious things I *can* have instead of dwelling on what I *can't* have. Just the little things like butter on my green beans or a low carb cheesecake or a fantastic steak make me appreciate the deliciousness I am allowed.

Mmmmm Cheesecake!!!!!!
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote