Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Joshmom
Help- only 3lbs lost in 3wks

I posted this on a different part of the board but can't get any replies. It's not exactly an Atkins issue but I was hoping someone can hel me piece together what I am doing wrong.

It's wk 2 sommersizing and also following lchf percentages. I've lost 3lbs. Discouraged. I've read so many say they lost double or more than that by end of 2nd wk. I've been eating about 65-70% fat 15-20%protein 15-10%carb (from veggies only). And I've been following sommersize food combining rules to the letter. I've had few carbos meals only for bkfast and only did that a couple of times.

Only thing I am not yet working out and I am using Splenda at least 4 lil packs a day.

Other than that I am feeling like I shud have seen more loss by now. The scale isn't moving. I am 160lbs and 5'1. I need to lose 30lbs.
Joshmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2013, 04:35 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I'm sorry sweetie I have No clue about sommersizing. Maybe stop the sweetner and see if that helps? It seems to stall some people
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:24 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I don't know about sommericizing either, or food combining.

What are your "carbo meals" that you have had a few times for breakfast?

I would say that 3 pounds is 3 pounds and I would be thrilled with that loss.
You may have to settle in for slower rate of loss, but I would encourage you not get discouraged and work your plan.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thanks! Sommersizing is all about food combining low complex carbs, protein and healthy fats. Basically you don't eat carbs with protein. Eat protein with fats, carbs with veggies without fats and fruits only on an empty stomach.

The carbos meals I had were oatmeal in the morning .. I did that for 2 days. And the other was a black bean salsa Ina whole wheat tortilla. I did that 2 days as well. So I guess it was 4 carbos bkfast over the last 3wks. I stopped the carbs entirely about 10 days ago. But the scale isn't budging.

Before this I did a 12 cleanse on master cleans (some ppl call it the lemonade diet) and lost 12lbs. When it was done My carb cravings were pretty much gone.

Yesterday I had exactly 3 packs of Splenda. I ony have it in my decaf.

This is what I ate yesterday

Decaf with 2tbsp heavy cream and Splenda
For lunch I had tilapia and shrimp in olive oil and veggies with a steamed broccoli and 3 stips of bacon and a cabbage and mayo salad
For dinner I had 2 hamburgers no bun with 4 slices of pepper jack cheese and mayo and decaf with heavy cream and 2 splendas

That's a total of 1450 calories 64%fat 29%protein 9%carbs

This is basically what I do every day.
I just dunno what to do.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmom View Post
Before this I did a 12 cleanse on master cleans (some ppl call it the lemonade diet) and lost 12lbs.
When you did the lemonade fast, before you started your new diet, your body dropped the glycogen and the water that is stored with glycogen so you can't compare your starting rate of pound loss with the rate of loss of a person who is starting a low-carb diet with full glycogen stores.

Glycogen is a starchy substance that is stored with water in the liver and muscle tissue. The human body uses glycogen to feed the brain, maintain steady blood glucose levels, and to fuel bursts of speed or strength. When dietary carbohydrates (or calories) are dramatically restricted, the body doesn't have a sufficient dietary source to feed glucose to the body and to maintain glycogen stores so the glycogen stores are depleted. Because each glycogen molecule is stored with 3-4 water molecules, the body will also drop large amounts of water when glycogen is depleted.

Many people see huge scale losses at the beginning of a low-carb diet because their body quickly drops pounds of glycogen and water when dietary carbohydrates are dramatically restricted. Since you've already lost your glycogen stores, you have to wait for your body to lose fat stores. Fat loss happens more slowly than glycogen loss, so you may not see the dramatic rate of loss that a new low-carb dieter sees as a result of losing glycogen and water.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thank u so much trilex!! I think u made my day! That really gives me some perspective! And some hope!! I felt like maybe I wasn't going to do well on this diet. Are you saying that the fat loss is slow to get going or just gradual. I've read some ppl post that even tho it took a while to see a change once they started losing it was big losses. AlSo would I expect to lose faster if I add cardio or strength training? Or is this just the rate my body is going to lose at?

I am trying to see whatever I can so to move the scale along.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmom View Post
Are you saying that the fat loss is slow to get going or just gradual. I've read some ppl post that even tho it took a while to see a change once they started losing it was big losses. AlSo would I expect to lose faster if I add cardio or strength training? Or is this just the rate my body is going to lose at?
As far as I can tell, everyone is different with regard to how quickly they can/will lose pounds. A lot of different factors contribute to the number on the scale -- especially fluid balance -- so the daily number on the scale doesn't necessarily reflect how much fat the body has lost.

You may be gradually losing fat without the scale changing, and then your body might drop excess water and the scale could change by several pounds overnight. So your scale progress would look like "slow, slow, FAST, FAST" even though your actual, underlying fat loss has been steady. Sticking carefully to your plan and tracking your weight loss over a period of time is probably the best way to determine how your individual body loses pounds.

With regard to exercise, I do both strength training (two days per week) and cardio (three days per week) but my rate of loss hasn't been *faster* than other women on the forum who started at my same starting weight. In fact, my rate of pound loss has been a bit slower when compared to other women who are my size. But I think that's just how my body and my individual metabolism work. I think my body likes stasis, because I didn't gain weight particularly quickly and I don't seem to lose particularly quickly.

Many (most) bodybuilders do low-intensity steady state (LISS) cardio while they're in the final stages of a bodyfat "cut" in order to increase fat transport (circulation) and fat oxidation (fat burning). So a lot of people who are very good at losing bodyfat believe that LISS cardio helps to maximize fat loss. But when cardio has been tested, according to what I've read, study subjects don't typically lose more weight as a result of adding exercise. If you're motivated to exercise, it can't hurt to give it a try and see if it helps! Personally, I really like my exercise regime because it makes me *feel* like I'm making progress.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote