Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: txdoll69
Stats: 240/235/130 or145
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 9/4/2012
Gout???

anybody have gout and doing the low carb or atkins, my husband has it and any info would be great the diet info i keep getting is so confusing. I guess the real question is can you do low carb and not have gout issues and how do you do it??? I just have arthritis and when i eat low carb i have no issues!
txdoll69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
hardly anyone here ever complains of gout and most low carb, so I guess it rarely even goes along with gout. is that what you mean?

I think gout has been tied to sugar consumption.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
My husband has gout (has had it for years) and eats low carb. He takes allopurinol on a daily basis. Before he started LC he had not used allopurinol in a long time (he tried natural preventatives). He had a massive flare up which sent him to the doctor which lead him being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and low thyroid last November, which is when we both started eating low carb. So while LC eating hasn't increased him gout it hasn't necessarly decreased it either. He did have a small attack a couple of weeks ago which was easily treated. He's found he needs to avoid processed ham steaks to help his gout, but he's just fine with tons of bacon. Different people might need to avoid different foods.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 05-17-2013 at 06:33 PM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Gout is due to a build up of uric acid in the joints - usually the big toe or the thumb. It is said that a diet high in red meat and some fish can cause it to be worse. Also, alcohol can be a contributing factor.

I wanted to just caution against supplements with arginine in them. I don't have gout, but was taking this amino acid (and not high doses either), and it caused me to have a lot of pain in my big toes/thumbs and a herpes on my lip. Come to find out, it will cause a gout flair (I have arthritis in my toes) and it stimulates the herpes virus - so it can cause shingles and mono to reactivate. I made myself very sick and definitely had the mono reactivated (was super tired and achey).

Foods that are high in arginine are: red meat, seafood, eggs, nuts, spinach, lentils, soy, and whole grains. So, a low carb diet will provide more than enough of this amino acid - and could lead to more incidences of gout, IMHO. In my experience though, I find I'm ok with these things in my diet. It was the extra supplementation that caused the problem.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 216/195/150?
WOE: Atkins - OWL
My ex used to have gout pretty regularly. He is a low-carber now, and hasn't had any issues since he ditched the carbs.
natural_born_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:57 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LoCarbingMe
Stats: 285.6/265.6/??
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 6/29/14
I have gout but have always found my trigger foods to be tomato based products or too much beef (like beef every day for a week). So far, no issues since I started low carbing and I'm not on medication for it. As long as my beef intake stays like it is (2-3 times a week), I'm sure I'll be fine.
LoCarbingMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: txdoll69
Stats: 240/235/130 or145
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 9/4/2012
thanks for all the good info! I love the feed back!!
txdoll69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tiggy
Stats: 84.6kg/76.8kg/60kg
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3 March 2013
Hi,
I just finished reading The Fat Switch, and it also points the finger at carbs/sugar for causing gout. The below was posted in a review of the book on Huffingdon Post:

Johnson recommends limiting purine-rich beer because it increases uric acid production. Interestingly, both regular beer and nonalcoholic beer are problems, because the purines are from the brewer's yeast, not from the alcohol. Do, however, drink milk and eat cheese, as they are associated with reduced risk for obesity, diabetes and gout. Coffee drinking also appears to reduce the risk of developing diabetes, and is likewise associated with lower uric acid levels.

Would highly recommend the book for full explanation as well as more reasons to go low carb.
Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote