Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: APP22
Feeling down & frustrated.

Feeling really stressed (life - selling a house, five kids, etc) and today I am feeling like I've had my butt kicked with my weight/diet. I embrace low carb as a lifestyle. I started with really very little info on March 25 and have continued to do research & learn. In that time I've lost 10 lbs. Which is very frustrating. It's been almost 2 months and I've only lost 10 lbs. I am thankful though that the cravings have all but disappeared. That alone is a HUGE plus.
Today the stress was high & I've had over 2,300 calories, which freaks me out a little. I've managed to still keep my total carbs at 15. I was REALLY wanting chocolate. Instead I went for sugar free jello with heavy whipping cream on top. Now as I'm reading about stalls and what can cause you to stop losing weight, I'm reading that cheese & cream, artificial sweeteners (anything except for meat & eggs). I feel pretty down about that. I can live without chips and cookies, etc but to give up cheese, spinach, coffee, cream....I feel pretty down. I have kept my carbs under 20 net carbs up until about 4 days ago when I went to keeping it under 20 carbs total.
It's just been a rough day.
APP22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Sometimes, I feel like people make the process more difficult than it needs to be. To be honest with you, I have avoided heavy cream and artificial sweeteners -- except on Sundays -- but I don't think you *have to* give up all of the foods you enjoy, when those foods are allowed by the Atkins plan. Cream and cheese are *limited* by the Atkins guidelines and, as long as you follow those guidelines, you should continue to make appropriate progress. The Atkins plan doesn't demand that you give up cream and cheese.

If your goal is to *rush* toward the finish line as fast as you can, maybe following a more strict plan will help you achieve that goal. But if you want to build a diet that you can comfortably live with and follow for the long term, building your diet around the foods that you enjoy will probably be a more effective way to achieve that goal.

I've just passed the one-year anniversary of my Atkins diet and, personally, I've continued to lose weight every month without having to do anything other than follow the Atkins guidelines. I do eat a lot less than I ate before I started the diet, but I'm also a lot more satisfied by what I'm currently eating. I follow the food lists in the Atkins book, Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution, but I choose foods that I genuinely enjoy eating so I've genuinely enjoyed my time on the diet.

Maybe you'll feel less frustrated if you give yourself permission to eat what you like, within the plan's guidelines, rather than limiting yourself to foods that you believe will speed your progress. Good luck!
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
APP2, from where I am sitting, 10 pounds sounds good. That's 5 pounds at month which is 60 pounds a year. Even if you don't even continue losing 5 pounds a month as long as you keep to your plan you are going to continue to lose. How about seeing your glass as half full . . . that you have such a great start. I know that doesn't float well in the middle of your stress, but it is a realistic view. And you've stayed on plan! I say stay the course.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:22 PM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
you don't say how much you have to lose either... 10 lb is a LOT for most people. be thankful! *hug*
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: APP22
Thank you all. It helps to have the support. I was 251 lbs about 2 1/2 years ago when I started working on my food issues. For the first year I worked only on heart issues (why I was over eating & dealing with any and all issues that brought to the surface). I lost about 20 lbs that way. I maintained that loss. I spent another near year trying the low calorie/clean eating method. I lost a few more pounds. I'm VERY thankful that any weight gains over these years have only been temporary (no more than a month or so). However, it's been frustrating as time has worn on that I've not continued to lose more. When I cut the carbs 7 weeks ago, I lost that 10 lbs in the first 2-3 weeks. Nothing since. As I say, overall, I am very pleased and I'm especially thankful that I'm not gaining weight, and that the intrusive thoughts about food & cravings are gone. This tells me that maintenance is clearly a very good possibility.
I don't know what my weight loss goal is to be honest. I want to be under 200. That will be an amazing day when that happens. I am 216 today. I haven't been under 200 since 1999, before my first baby. That seems like a dream come true lol! I was 175 in 1998 when I married. I seem to remember that as a pretty nice weight for me. The BMI charts say I have to be down to 149 to be normal. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
At any rate, thank you all for the encouraging words. It's been a tough day and it really has helped. I agree - it shouldn't be *that* complicated. I think cutting down/limiting is probably going to the trick. I hope so. It would be nice to see the numbers going down again.
APP22 is offline   Reply With Quote