Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jesscargill
Stats: 135/130/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2013
brand new over here. i have questions!

hey everyone!

this is day 5 of atkins for me. i have about 15 lbs to lose. i have been really sticking to the plan, under 20 grams of carbs every day, lots of fat, plenty of calories. i have lost about 3 lbs but i'm pretty sure it was all water since i was peeing like crazy (and still am!).

one of my questions regards the amount of weight i need to lose; is this going to slow the progress of induction for me? i am expecting 1-2 lbs a week, is that unreasonable? i also read somewhere here that when there is so little weight to lose that induction isn't even necessary, but i am all about fast results and am willing to live without nuts and berries for a couple weeks to see changes. do any of you in similar situations have any tips?

also, my ketostix are still negative. i had ONE positive reading two nights ago but none since. what gives?

i appreciate the help!
jesscargill is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
With only 15 lbs to lose, yes, your losses will be slower (including your induction loss), yes, 1-2 lbs per week is likely setting your hopes too high, and yes, you need to do induction. Induction isn't only about losing, it's about clearing your system of the carbs and getting into ketosis and finding a new normal.

Turning the ketostix isn't a sure indication of being in ketosis. Some people never do, and some people only do sometimes, despite being in constant ketosis.

Follow the rules, eat until you're satisfied, not full, and don't eat too many processed foods, especially the bars, shakes, and other LC products. They stall many people.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
If you drink a lot of liquid your ketone sticks might not ever change.
cfine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

thanks for your comments.

i was eating a bar a day, i have stopped because i hear that might cause a stall. i also cut waaay back on aspartame, another stall-causer (i have read). we'll see.

i also do drink a lot, but i doubt that will change. on the scale today about a lb came off from my weigh-in yesterday, so i think things are going well but i might just be one of those that never register on the sticks.

one other concern i have is about protein vs fat and calories. i don't think i am getting enough fat and i think i am getting too much protein. i also have no idea if my calories are where they need to be; since i am close to goal, should i be watching these? so many years of counting calories has made this transition a little difficult for me.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:39 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Sounds like you are off to a good start. Don't get too hung up on Calories at this point, it's too early. Do the plan as described. There are lots of little "rules" in induction and it's really hard to get them all right from the start. I work on it, then I read something, and it's like "oh yea, I forgot that one." Then I pull out my book and reread that section again.

Since you have the ketostix, try testing your first urine in the morning. I read that's when it's most concentrated.

If after a couple weeks you don't feel like your weight is going down as it should, then you can try tracking. Of course you can track now if you want to, but since you've had years of calorie counting (I believe that's what you said) you might find you hyperfocus on that again.

I'm just back to Atkins myself and in week 2 of Induction, down 4.5 lbs, yea!

Welcome!

Last edited by AnnetteW; 05-15-2013 at 04:41 AM..
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

thanks annette! down almost another lb from yesterday. AND i am reading "small" on the stix! it had to have been the bars.

ONE more question: how to deal with constipation? i am used to a bm a day. i have had only one since starting induction. should i be concerned?
Old 05-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Lots of water, a bit of fiber, magnesium can be helpful.

And our beloved coconut oil.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:48 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
Is it real constipation (dry, hard, etc.) or just the diet change and lack of bulk (from grains)? I'm experiencing the diet change and bulk issues, but I don't do well with psyllium and magnesium gives me diarrhea. I am planning on buying a different magnesium today as recommending in the Art and Science of Low Carb Diets book (don't quote my title.)

I'm looking forward to adding daily almonds again next week when I start OWL, as I KNOW my body like almonds (for the bulk/fiber.)
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

It's real constipation. I finally had a movement, but it was much much harder than I am used to. I will have to try psyllium or magnesium. At this point I'd rather have some mild diarrhea than be bloated and yucky from needing to go.

You guys are awesome!