Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: laisla
Switching from Induction to OWL - what happened?

Hi

I am new to this forum and have been doing Induction for 3 weeks as of today. I normally have been eating under 20g of carbs daily, but a few times I went over while other times I went under. No big deal, I always stayed in ketosis.

Today I decided to up the carbs 5 grams per week as Im switching to OWL (also, I'm sick to death of just eggs, meat and cheese). I went a little over 5 grams and had a couple of Guavas (canned but no syrup). I wasn't too worried because I have had more than 20g of carbs before no problem. Only now, I am not in Ketosis!

Does this mean my body can never have fruit again or is it related to some process the body is going through (like still adapting to burning fat instead of carbs?) I am shocked that such little fruit can stall me.

I am reading the book and halfway through. Any advice would help me (I am an active 33yo male)
laisla is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2013, 09:11 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
there's a bit difference between "fruit" and canned fruit cooked in sugar syrup. you just had too many carbs.

just because you went out of ketosis doesn't mean you stalled! stalled is 6 weeks or more of not losing while following your plan.

I wouldn't expect you to stay in ketosis eating canned fruit, myself. that straight shot of sugar is just going to knock you out for awhile.

You just have to decide whether that's a problem for you, as you try to lose weight.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
I moved up to the first rung of the ongoing weight loss ladder on the first Monday in March. The first OWL rung, according to the plan I'm following (Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution) is 5 extra grams of induction veggies. Fruit is introduced at rung 4, and berries are the first type of fruit that is re-introduced. "Other" fruit isn't introduced until OWL rung 7, right before starches.

I'm not an expert -- I'm learning as I go along -- but I believe the OWL rungs are structured in a way that allows you to learn how your body responds to *particular* food groups. And that the structure is designed to take you from *more* ketogenic foods to *less* ketogenic foods. So if you follow the rungs of the ladder, you might find that your body reacts negatively to some foods but I think that's part of what we're supposed to learn as part of the diet process.

Other Atkins plans may be different. I've only read the one book...
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: laisla
Wow, that was interesting.

By mid-afternoon I was in Ketosis again, but only lightly. By night was in a medium ketosis scale.

I remember not long after having the guava I had major cravings for more food, even though I was 'full'. It was all that sugar spiking a craving.

Things are back to normal now.
laisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cindyashley
Stats: 150/150/110
Start Date: 1/13; Restart 5/8/13; Restart Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I'm not an expert -- I'm learning as I go along -- but I believe the OWL rungs are structured in a way that allows you to learn how your body responds to *particular* food groups. And that the structure is designed to take you from *more* ketogenic foods to *less* ketogenic foods. So if you follow the rungs of the ladder, you might find that your body reacts negatively to some foods but I think that's part of what we're supposed to learn as part of the diet process.

Trillex, I think you are absolutely right. That is what I have found out the hard way. I am starting over at Induction tomorrow. It's going to be difficult since my favorite foods (besides baked goods) are fruits but I just can't lose any weight at all if I eat any! I stall. This time I am going to be more strict and see if the design is like you suggest and perhaps there are some fruits I could tolerate. Thanks for reminding me of this!
cindyashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitcub
Start Date: 01/19/09...this time
Quote:
Originally Posted by laisla View Post
Wow, that was interesting.

By mid-afternoon I was in Ketosis again, but only lightly. By night was in a medium ketosis scale.

I remember not long after having the guava I had major cravings for more food, even though I was 'full'. It was all that sugar spiking a craving.

Things are back to normal now.
First of all, being in ketosis is kind of like being pregnant - either you are or you aren't. A darker color of purple on the ketostix is not the goal. In fact, it often means you aren't drinking enough water.

And Trillex is totally correct. The types of carbs on the carb ladder are selected for a reason. You should add them in the order in the book. First you add foods low on the glycemic index - meaning they are slower to affect your blood sugar. And when you get to fruit, you add berries and melon first. (The glycemic index for fruit goes something like berries, melon, citrus, stone fruits, apples and pears, then bananas and most tropical fruits are pretty high on the glycemic index).

It's not just that you are adding more carbs each week, you are adding carbs from specific sources. You've eliminated these foods from your diet and when you add them back in, you are able to determine if you have food allergies or sensitivities to them. Sensitivities take on many different forms - binges, stomach issues, fatigue, mood swings, headaches, indigestion, etc.

And it sounds like you discovered what can happen when you eat something that immediately turned to sugar in your bloodstream. Knowledge is power. Now you know.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
I've never seen canned guava without syrup/sugar added.
One cup of fresh guava has 15 net grams of carbs.

If you want to go into OWL, read the list of what you can add; the first fruits you can add are berries.
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote