Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   strange i cant hit ketotsis (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/802867-strange-i-cant-hit-ketotsis.html)

ravr 04-26-2013 08:27 AM

strange i cant hit ketotsis

wow im not a newbie to low carbing or induction, but for the first time ever...I can not get into ketosis.... usually it takes me 2 entire days.....and today is the forth day and ive eaten perfectly...I have no sensations physically of ketosis and my strips are not reacting...

ive had only lettuce and chicken...plain nothing added...... maybe I need to add some fat, but ive never ever had a hard time getting into ketosis....

advice? anyone ever had it take longer than 4 days?

ravenrose 04-26-2013 08:57 AM

at this point in life, I can't get into ketosis at all. strange but true. and sad.

BeALoser 04-26-2013 09:05 AM

I'm on day 14 and haven't gone into ketosis. It's got to be something i'm doing wrong- I'm eating high-er fat, veggies, proteins and my limit in carbs. I was a complete carb addict! I would eat a loaf of french bread in one sitting every chance I got and pasta and potatoes, too! SO, I figured it wouldn't take my body long to get with it...but it has.
I'm 33 y/o and my I feel like my body is laughing at me in my attempts at weight loss...

160orbust 04-26-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravr (Post 16395005)
wow im not a newbie to low carbing or induction, but for the first time ever...I can not get into ketosis.... usually it takes me 2 entire days.....and today is the forth day and ive eaten perfectly...I have no sensations physically of ketosis and my strips are not reacting...

ive had only lettuce and chicken...plain nothing added...... maybe I need to add some fat, but ive never ever had a hard time getting into ketosis....

advice? anyone ever had it take longer than 4 days?

In order to get into ketosis, your body has to have expended all of its glycogen stores so depending on high the meals were in carbs before switching to LC, it could be quite some time before ketosis kicks back in. I went off LC during a cruise last year just before Thaksgiving and didn't re-start until December 26th, and it took me amost a full week to get back in ketosis.

One thing I have learned since then is that strenuous exercise really helps to speed up glycogen depletion. I use plyometrics after my favorite cheat meal (chinese buffet) and am almost always back in the next day as long as I exercise that night.

Ntombi 04-26-2013 12:36 PM

If you're using the sticks as a guide, please remember that a false negative is very common. Just because you're not turning the stick pink doesn't mean you're not in ketosis. Many people NEVER turn the sticks, because they excrete more ketones via breathing and sweating than their urine. Some people drink a lot of water, which dilutes the ketones in the urine, sometimes so much that the sticks never measure positive. The sticks are a very crude way to check, and have a high failure rate.

OP, I know you're not only talking about the sticks, but four days, or even longer, isn't out of the realm of normalcy. I will say that regardless of when you feel it, you need to eat a better diet. You're eating a lot of protein, hardly any fat. It needs to be the other way around. Too much protein can trigger an insulin responce, raising blood sugar and preventing ketosis. The same amount of chicken has more protein than beef or pork. It's easy to eat too much, especially when you're not eating enough fat. Remember, you should be eating high fat, moderate protein, low carb.

Trillex 04-26-2013 06:55 PM

I would like to cosign what Ntombi said. I've never been able to make the sticks change. I weigh, measure, and log all of my food so I know that I was under 20g carbs per day for 9 solid months, with no off plan food at all during that time (for the record, I have moved up to the first level of ongoing weight loss for the past two months and have been at 25g carbs per day). I've lost more than 75 pounds thus far, so I believe the diet is working in the way it's supposed to work. But my body, for some reason, has never made the strips show even the slightest change in color. I tried different brands of sticks. I tried testing at different times during the day. I tried testing after exercise. Nothing makes the sticks change for me.

It sounds like you've done this before and the sticks have changed for you, so you're probably not like me. But I just wanted to point out that, for some of us, the sticks never change. But I believe I am clearly in ketosis.

MtherGoos 05-01-2013 04:33 PM

It's the same for me. I know I'm in Ketosis. I haven't eaten anything but meat, eggs, cheese, butter and mayo for 2 months, I'm losing weight, and I definitely have the yucky "ketosis" breath, but the sticks don't change for me. If they do, it's just the "small", but usually they don't change. It's really discouraging, but I know I have to be in Ketosis, so I finally stopped using them.

junebug 05-10-2013 04:11 PM

When I am stuck, I add fat - seems to help. A tbsp of coconut oil could do the trick!