Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kempmuhlbauer View Post
Trillex you have to be the most will powered person I have ever met. 11 months not one cheat. The is incredible. No constipation, or hunger pains, you have one well trained will power. I have constipation from day one of the start of this plan. I am craving the foods I cannot have all the time. Even when completely full. I love this plan for what I can have however, not what I cannot have. I have never gone more than 44 days without a cheat. I unfortunately remember how awesome a doughnut taste, or the greatness of a nice pasta dish with homemade french bread. Yes I love food. All foods. I am a food addict. I am also a great cook. I do this plan to lose weight, it is a plan that works well for that. I hope to one day be able to switch to the OWL and the pre-maint. then maintenance. I feel that if my CCL is high enough this diet could be satisfying enough for me. I just never seem to be able to go to the next levels without blowing it out.
Honestly, Kemp, I have terrible willpower! I'm not typically good at denying myself things. But something a good friend of mine told me when I first started Atkins really hit home with me and I think it gave me a sense of perspective that really helped me a lot. My buddy is a bodybuilding coach, and he's training me as a favor because we're very close friends -- and he actually recommended the Atkins diet to me. My buddy told me that there are two main attitudes he sees when people start fat loss diets and training programs:

One group of people goes into the gym wanting to change the way they *look*. Whatever it takes, they're willing to do it for a while because they desperately want to look different. No matter how hard he pushes them to work, they'll do it because they want results. Whatever diet they're on, they'll find a way to make it even stricter because they want results. This group is highly motivated and they're usually the hardest workers and the fastest losers. The problem is, though, these are usually the people that have to re-lose the same weight 2 or 3 or 4 years later because they gain it all back. It's great for the trainer because these people have lost weight quickly and effectively with him before so they come back to him and he makes more money. And they're easy to work with because they basically know what to do to achieve their goal and they're highly-motivated hard workers.

The other group of people wants to *be* different. They're unsatisfied with the way they're living their lives and they're willing to change their behavior and entire outlook, whatever it takes, because they no longer want to live the way they've been living. Whatever he gives them to read, they will read it. Whatever he shows them or teaches them in the gym, they will absorb it. This group of people is looking for *methods* more than *results* because they're looking to make fundamental changes to their lifestyles. This group is not as financially beneficial to the trainer because, once the trainer has set them on the right path, it becomes such a part of their lives that they don't need anyone else to guide them in living it. And they don't gain back the lost pounds because they're living new lives that support their new bodies.

When my trainer first told me about this, it *sort of* made sense to me but it sunk in even more over time, as he pointed out things in my behavior while we worked together. For example, I was always saying things like, "I'm a Chicagoan, so I love pizza!" Or "I love ice cream so much!" My trainer called me out on that behavior, asking me if I "love" these foods or if I "enjoy" these foods. It sounds corny but he helped me realize that if I "love" myself, then food is something I "enjoy" but that food isn't something that I have a love affair with as much as I have a love affair with life and my health.

So, as simple and stupid and trite as this sounds, it actually became a lot easier to say "no" to food that I know is bad for my health because I genuinely care more about my long-term health than I care about 20 minutes of enjoyment from a pint of ice cream. I *can* eat ice cream anytime I want to -- I'm an independent adult, I can just go out and buy myself some right now -- but if I live that way, giving myself whatever food I want whenever I want it, then I'll go back to the life I had before, in which I had terrible stamina and lower back pain because of my excess weight.

I later found out that my trainer actually got this technique from Tom Venuto, who is a champion bodybuilder and elite personal trainer. So my trainer didn't actually think of this on his own, but I'm glad he introduced me to the idea. Once my trainer showed me that being faithful to this diet and exercise program is really about my long-term future and about how I will live and feel 30 years from now, not just about how I hope to look 3 months from now, I honestly stopped feeling like I was giving things up.

I started feeling like pizza and tacos were *stealing* my future from me. So I feel like I wouldn't gain anything of value from a pint of ice cream, instead I would lose some really valuable things that I've worked super hard to gain. So I didn't need cake on my birthday to enjoy my party. I didn't need *treats* during the holiday dinners to enjoy my family. I can just drink water when I go out with colleagues because I don't need cocktails to have a great time while hanging out. My trainer helped me see that there are a lot of things that I enjoy in life that are way more fun than off-plan food. You know what I mean? Going to Easter dinner wasn't really about the food, it was about hanging out with my hilarious, crazy family and laughing for hours.

To be completely honest with you, though, I should mention that I guess I'm a bit lucky because I don't get cravings -- it sounds stupid but I seriously didn't know that cravings were an actual physical phenomenon until I looked into it. I think it's because I have freakishly regular blood glucose levels. My trainer had me test my fasting and post-meal blood glucose levels 30, 60, and 120 minutes after each meal, for an entire month before starting Atkins, while eating my *standard* diet. No matter what I ate -- ice cream, mocha lattes, Easter candy -- my blood glucose never went above 115 and it never dropped precipitously. So I think that also helps me, with regard to sticking to the diet. So I may have some genetic advantages that help me stick to the diet.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
You are right, Kemp. For me, it's a pretty fine line.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kempmuhlbauer
Stats: 274/274/190
WOE: Normal old atkins
Start Date: 10/21/13
Thanks Trillex for the information. I know at the end of the day I will have to have that attitude for long term success. While I have been athletic all my life, I have fought weight since high school. I was never over weight until I blew out my knee and had to quit playing football in college. Ever since then it has been a struggle. I have many theories why this is but when you stop moving you start gaining. So I will try to change and thanks again for the message, I hope it hits home. I am dedicated when on plan and so un-dedicated when off plan. So I may need to change from this plan to a new lifestyle.

"STAY HEALTHY MY FRIENDS"

GOALS:
1. Keep on plan
2. Stay on plan
3. Work out
4. Run a 1/2 marathon on Jan. 19th!!!
kempmuhlbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
lol

Before I moved in Sept., I had a weight-loss buddy. We were going thru things together, in our own separate ways. Mutually supportive, but very different eating plans.

At one point we were discussing the fact that we will never be able to eat "normally" again. (Well, this was mostly coming from her.) And she looked at me -- on my (to her eyes) very restrictive plan, and said, "Doesn't it BOTHER you that you'll never be able to eat these things again?"

And my answer was, "No more than it bothers a vegetarian that they'll never be able to eat steak again."

It's not a diet.

It's a lifestyle.

And it may seem restrictive at first... but if you stay with the plan as written, you really find it liberating over time.

And feel free to ask for any recipes, any time! (I've posted a number on the recipe suggestion board.)
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Griffin will do
Old 04-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempmuhlbauer View Post
Thanks Trillex for the information. I know at the end of the day I will have to have that attitude for long term success. While I have been athletic all my life, I have fought weight since high school. I was never over weight until I blew out my knee and had to quit playing football in college. Ever since then it has been a struggle. I have many theories why this is but when you stop moving you start gaining. So I will try to change and thanks again for the message, I hope it hits home. I am dedicated when on plan and so un-dedicated when off plan. So I may need to change from this plan to a new lifestyle.
I'm sure you'll be fine! I mean, I don't think there's *one* attitude that everybody needs to have in order to find their best, healthiest lifestyle. My trainer has known me since we were toddlers, so I think he knows what to tell *me* in order to help me find my way through this process. I'm no expert, but I think every individual probably needs to find the root cause of his or her weight gain and then address it as best they can.

I can relate to your football situation. I was an avid skateboarder from the age of 4 or 5 until I quit skating in college. The minute I quit skating was the minute I started gaining weight! I've always been a huge eater -- my family still tells funny stories about how I ate as much as BOTH of my big brothers put together when we were growing up. But everybody -- including me -- thought I had a fast metabolism and just needed the extra food. So until I started Atkins, I never learned to eat like a *normal* human being. It's sad, but it took a "diet" to teach me the difference between eating when I'm hungry and not eating when I'm not hungry. I sincerely hope I've learned that lesson, but only time will tell.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:39 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: moniruth
Stats: 209/208/150
WOE: Atkins Induction Phase
Start Date: March 5th 2013
Thanks for writing all of this, esp. Trillex and LiterateGriffin. I love reading your posts. And now, LG, I am craving some FAT! I am going to make fatbombs tomorrow. Trillex, just one look at your photos and I can see how well you are doing. You are so close to your goal, which will be 100lbs in total. You are inspiring me!
moniruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moniruth View Post
Trillex, just one look at your photos and I can see how well you are doing. You are so close to your goal, which will be 100lbs in total. You are inspiring me!
Thanks, Moniruth!

To be honest with you, for some reason it still feels *impossible* to think that I will actually be able to lose 100 pounds -- even though I've already lost 75. Every time I move into a smaller clothing size, something inside my head feels like, "This is it. I'm never going to get any smaller." I have a vacation coming up in July and I keep *almost* buying vacation clothes in a size 10 because I have difficulty imagining I will get any smaller -- even though I've been comfortably wearing a size 8 since this past weekend. I was wearing my size 10 jeans with a belt for about a week because it took me a while to accept that it was time to move into a smaller size.

When I started, I felt like I would give the diet a try and I decided to do my best and give it 100%, but I guess I didn't actually believe I could change.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
Excellent on your new size trillex
You know, i don't get cravings, either!!
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DairyQueen View Post
Excellent on your new size trillex
You know, i don't get cravings, either!!
Thanks, DQ!

I was actually going to post a question for you and Shelley on the Challenge thread. I seem to remember a period, which both you and Shelley separately experienced, in which you *quickly* changed sizes -- like overnight changes. I had this experience in moving from a size 12 to a size 10, and then the same thing just happened in moving from a size 10 to a size 8. I squeezed into a pair of jeans -- I mean a TIGHT squeeze -- and then a couple of days later, the same pair of jeans fit perfectly. Not loose, but no longer tight. It still, basically, took me 3 months to lose a clothing size. But it seemed to happen suddenly, in a weird way, rather than gradually.

Is this just what commonly happens in moving closer to goal? I don't remember this happening when I gained sizes. And it definitely didn't happen as I moved from a size 16 to a size 14, nor in moving from a size 14 to a size 12. I've asked my trainer about it but he's a bodybuilding coach so I'm the first obese person, and the first woman, he's worked with. So some of the changes my body makes are a borderline mystery to him!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PassionateFire
Stats: 228.5/189.9/150-160 LBM 125
Start Date: September 4, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
Thanks, DQ!

I was actually going to post a question for you and Shelley on the Challenge thread. I seem to remember a period, which both you and Shelley separately experienced, in which you *quickly* changed sizes -- like overnight changes. I had this experience in moving from a size 12 to a size 10, and then the same thing just happened in moving from a size 10 to a size 8. I squeezed into a pair of jeans -- I mean a TIGHT squeeze -- and then a couple of days later, the same pair of jeans fit perfectly. Not loose, but no longer tight. It still, basically, took me 3 months to lose a clothing size. But it seemed to happen suddenly, in a weird way, rather than gradually.

Is this just what commonly happens in moving closer to goal? I don't remember this happening when I gained sizes. And it definitely didn't happen as I moved from a size 16 to a size 14, nor in moving from a size 14 to a size 12. I've asked my trainer about it but he's a bodybuilding coach so I'm the first obese person, and the first woman, he's worked with. So some of the changes my body makes are a borderline mystery to him!
I have been trying on the same pair of size 10 Old Navy 'Dreamer' jeans for weeks and always had a muffin top. Tried them on last weekend - muffin top. Got home from work on Monday and realized that I was wearing them & they were ever so slightly saggy in the butt!
PassionateFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

The scale is not the true indicator that is for sure. I had the same experience Passion. Yesterday I wore a pair of shorts I have not worn for a year. I try them on and to tight but yesterday they fit, and were a bit lose. And I am the same weight. I think the weight training instead of heavy cardio is the ticket.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

I apologize because this is pretty far from the original topic. But I was finding it difficult to believe that I am now an *actual* size 8 -- because I'm frankly not sure how accurate "misses" sizes are -- so I went to the "juniors" department today and bought the "juniors" equivalent to a "misses" size 8, a juniors size 29. And I bought "skinny" jeans because I didn't want to delude myself into thinking I've made more progress than I've actually made by fitting into a "relaxed" fit.

To my surprise, the juniors size 29 Levi's 524 "skinny" jeans fit perfectly! They fit like a second skin, the way "skinny" jeans tend to fit, but I didn't have to fight to get them on. They slid right up! So I guess I really am a size 8 now.

Here is a starting photo (235 pounds, size 16) next to me wearing size 8 "skinny" jeans:

Old 04-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/132.8/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
Trillex, you look AMAZING and are such an inspiration!!!!
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
Trillex, you look AMAZING and are such an inspiration!!!!
Thanks, Mother Goose! You're so sweet.

I *hated* taking the photos when I started (my brothers made me do it) -- but now I'm SO glad I have them. It's harder than I ever thought it would be to accept that I've actually, physically, dramatically changed. The photos help a lot.

EVERYBODY, if you haven't taken pictures yet, TAKE SOME PICTURES! Even if you never show them to anybody, you will someday cherish those "before" pictures because they honestly tell a much more rewarding story than the scale.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
That really is a startling difference -- i LOVE the pix. When I was 50 pounds heavier, I almost always did a pretty good job of disguising them.
No - i never had a dramatic size change-- although I did wear the same size for months and months and months as I was losing weight, and then one day decided to wear - whatever-- my size 8s -- and all of a sudden, people were commenting on how thin i looked. Sizes vary so much among brands -- I'm happy to say that I'm comfortably wearing a pair of pants today that are size 4/27 but I usually wear a 6. so yay for that!

First started Atkins April 1, 2002.
Lost 40 pounds back then and maintained for almost 8 years...then carb creep crept. I've always been low carb, but went hard core again in March 2012.
Hey! You don't have to drink all that water!
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote