Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: punkyb1985
New to Atkins..Need advice

Hello! I started the Atkins diet on March 4th. I had GREAT results the first 3 weeks! I lost a total of 17lbs! Amazing results for me. My start weight was 230 and I am 5'6. All of my co-workers were ooooooing and ahhhhhing over my transformation. Well here is where is gets crappy. On Monday March 25th I took my daughter to Taco Bell. This was a mistake because I ended up eating 1/3 of a Cantina bowl. This totaled about 20 carbs. When you add that to the 13 carbs that I had already eaten I consumed about 33 that day. I haven't lost another SINGLE pound since then (11 days)! Infact when I weighed today I have gained a pound. I did start exercising every evening so I am hopeful that I am gaining muscle.. I followed the advices of my many google searches and I have measured...no inches lost...HELP! What can I do to get back on track?

Additional info:

I consume 18-20 carbs per day
No caffeine
No alcohol
I drink 1 Atkins shake every other day for breakfast
punkyb1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
It's normal to take a while for your body to get back on track after a carb cheat. Have good, clean LC snacks with you ALL. THE. TIME., so you don't run into that problem again. I've been known to stick cheese sticks into a container with ice, and drive around with it while out shopping for the day. Have also brought deviled eggs ON ICE in my car. A cheese stick wrapped in ham.

It's key to stay prepared for situations that will crop up.

SECOND, drop the Atkins shakes. They mess most people up --- especially during induction.

Scrambled eggs with butter will do you better.

Keep it up, it will get better. (((hugs)))

"The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending that I'm not excited."
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cheshire girl
Stats: 184/154.4/150 5'7"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 8 - 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkyb1985 View Post
Hello! I started the Atkins diet on March 4th. I had GREAT results the first 3 weeks! I lost a total of 17lbs! Amazing results for me. My start weight was 230 and I am 5'6. All of my co-workers were ooooooing and ahhhhhing over my transformation. Well here is where is gets crappy. On Monday March 25th I took my daughter to Taco Bell. This was a mistake because I ended up eating 1/3 of a Cantina bowl. This totaled about 20 carbs. When you add that to the 13 carbs that I had already eaten I consumed about 33 that day. I haven't lost another SINGLE pound since then (11 days)! Infact when I weighed today I have gained a pound. I did start exercising every evening so I am hopeful that I am gaining muscle.. I followed the advices of my many google searches and I have measured...no inches lost...HELP! What can I do to get back on track?

Additional info:

I consume 18-20 carbs per day
No caffeine
No alcohol
I drink 1 Atkins shake every other day for breakfast
Could you post some menus - maybe some hidden sugars? Also after a cheat it can take a while for your body to get back in to ketosis - don't give up stalls happen so stick with it
Cheshire girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
don't fret about it. this is probably mostly just the normal tapering off of weight loss. you don't KEEP losing as fast as you did at first, you know. no one does. now it's just a matter of slogging along for months and years. sorry, but you have to face that.

in any case, the most important thing is DON'T GAIN THAT 17 LB BACK. we tend to get fatter and fatter as we age, and you need to draw the line in the sand and just refuse to regain it.

Then you can establish a new lower weight and vow to hold onto that. Even losing 20 lb and keeping it off is WORLDS better than yo yo ing. best of luck!
Old 04-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: punkyb1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire girl View Post
Could you post some menus - maybe some hidden sugars? Also after a cheat it can take a while for your body to get back in to ketosis - don't give up stalls happen so stick with it
Thanks for the replies! My daily menus are pretty repetitive right now. Here are some examples.

Breakfast:

Egg white omelet with bacon bits and cheese and Morning Star veggie sausage

Atkins strawberry shake

Lunch:

Salad with cheese tuna or chicken and Newmans Own oil and vinegar dressing

5 carb tortilla wrap with lettuce chicken pickle and mustard or ranch dressing

Dinner:

Baked or grilled chicken, pork chops, steak
Broccoli Or Zucchini

Snacks:

Sugar free jello
Cheese sticks
Pork skins

Drinks:

Diet coke
Coke zero
Powerade zero
Water with crystal light

Soooo I know I said a few examples but that's pretty much EVERYTHING that I have been choosing between...

Is this an okay menu for induction? Anything I should add or leave out?

Thanks!!!!
punkyb1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Why are you using egg whites instead of eggs? You need the essential fatty acids in the egg yolks!

I'd DEFINITELY drop the veggie-sausages. They have "starch" in the top-four ingredients -- just what you DON'T want! I'd also be suspicious of those bacon-bits. Far healthier to use real bacon!

And as others have said -- drop the shake. They cause SO many people to stall/gain!

ANY tortilla-wrap is definitely not suitable for induction. I would introduce that much later, if at all. Yes, they say it's "5 net carbs". But it is NOT an Induction food, and things like that cause problems for SO many.

Try to get in lots of fats.... Top your scrambled eggs with some butter to make them more satisfying. Same with your dinner-veggies.

Heck -- I've started living on bullet-proof coffee and fat-bombs for breakfast (not on the same day!), because it keeps me satisfied so well.

Basically, the "rule" after a cheat is back to Induction until the effects have been reversed.

As I said -- you're looking high on questionable processed foods, and low on fats, to my eye.

Olive, avocado, rich sauces and dressings (Ceasar! Bleu Cheese! Home-made ranch!) will all help fill you up, while keeping the carbs low and get you back in the right direction.

Finally -- and this is an issue for me, too -- try to cut down on the artificially sweetened drinks. THOSE ARE CARBS! (1 tsp equivalent of Aspartame is counted as 1 net carb. They add up.) Besides that, they insulin release in some, and stimulate hunger in some. Do your best to cut them out.
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%

Last edited by LiterateGriffin; 04-15-2013 at 06:00 PM..
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Rebecca1979
Stats: 286/239/199 (for now!)
WOE: 2208/442 (11/5/13)
Start Date: October 19, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkyb1985 View Post
Thanks for the replies! My daily menus are pretty repetitive right now. Here are some examples.

Breakfast:

Egg white omelet NOT ENOUGH FAT with bacon bits and cheese and Morning Star veggie sausage (NOPE)

Atkins strawberry shake (NOPE)

Lunch:

Salad with cheese tuna or chicken and Newmans Own oil and vinegar dressing

5 carb tortilla wrap(NOPE) with lettuce chicken pickle and mustard or ranch dressing

Dinner:

Baked or grilled chicken, pork chops, steak
Broccoli Or Zucchini

Snacks:

Sugar free jello
Cheese sticks
Pork skins

Drinks:

Diet coke
Coke zero
Powerade zero
Water with crystal light

Soooo I know I said a few examples but that's pretty much EVERYTHING that I have been choosing between...

Is this an okay menu for induction? Anything I should add or leave out?

Thanks!!!!
Punky! You need to let go of the LF(low fat) way of thinking! Dr Atkins said in DANDR(Dr.AtkinsNewDietRevolution) that fat is essential to this diet. It satiates you and helps you eat LESS. I see quite a few No-No's on your menu!

For instance you should be getting(induction) ALL of your carbs from veggies(as in raw salad veggies) not processed fake meats. No fake bread, no fake meat, nothing that you didn't pick from the ground or make yourself.

Just because it says 2 carbs on the package... Those 2 carbs might be from sugar and it's supposed to be completely eliminated (sugar) from your diet. So basically any convenience foods are a no-no. Not until phase two.. No shakes, no bars, no sf candy.

Here is a small guide line to follow (DANDR2002)

Unlimited Meats! Watch the sodium, don't buy precooked anything (bacon,sausage) they have hidden sugars!

These are free rein! Beef steak, ground beef, chicken (with or without skin), fish, seafood(watch out some crustaceans are carby), bacon (you cook), sausage(you cook), pepperoni, eggs (whole ones)!

3 cups of salad veggies a day (think lettuce, cabbage, kale)

or

2 cups of salad veggies and 1 cup of veggies off the eat in moderation list (broccoli, mushrooms, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions)

3 oz of cheese/dairy a day

READ READ READ every label you can get your hands on! SOO many products say "sugar free" and there it is! in fine print! Sugar!

If you don't have the book go out and get one it's the only way you can be successful on his plan. There are a lot of details and tidbits people miss out on(that are important), because they haven't read the book..

Well hope that helps! Good luck to you! I wish you ALL the happiness and success!
My JUDDD info Thread
Come Read My Weight Loss Journal!
Rebecca1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kempmuhlbauer
Stats: 274/274/190
WOE: Normal old atkins
Start Date: 10/21/13
Exactly what the last two posters said. Egg whites, no way, enjoy the yoke and all the other good things that come with it. No processed foods at all in the first two weeks is a good rule to live by. Griffen is correct, you have to have the fat in the diet to lose it off you body. Best of luck.
kempmuhlbauer is offline   Reply With Quote