Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
HWP
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: HWP
Stats: 167/156/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2013
Gains with Exercise

Howdy Folks...

New here/first post. Many years ago, I lost 38 lbs on Atkins (starting at 178, going down to about 135). I stayed in Induction for the whole time and it took 8 months to lose the weight. I was able to keep it off for years, adding maybe 50 carbs or so to my daily intake. (Maybe a tortilla in the morning, hamburger bun in the afternoon, maybe a rice crispy treat... that kind of thing). I started exercise when I went into lifetime maintenance and never lost another ounce - but lost 5 more sizes.

Years passed, I remarried, started folding in more and more carbs and less and less exercise... now I'm sitting at 156. I've been on atkins for almost three months and have lost 12 pounds - BUT - haven't lost an ounce in well over a month. I've been exercising, and I think that's the culprit. I've got a theory that Atkins and exercise just don't go together. I haven't been counting carbs either. I eat many more salads than I did the first time, too...

Anyone else experience the same thing? What do you advise?

Thanks,
Rachel
HWP is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
Is it possible you are losing inches even though you aren't losing pounds?

I would measure everything you eat for a few days and get an accurate look on your protein, carbs, calories and fat. Maybe post a typical days menu?
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
HWP
Junior LCF Member

Thanks so much for responding. I've been taking 4 measurements a day for two months... waist, belly, hips, thighs and I'm not losing inches, really, either.... I mean a couple, at first - but again...

Normal day looks like this:

BREAKFAST:
Coffee w/half and half (probably equivalent to 5 cups a day)
3 sausage
2 eggs
LUNCH:
Cobb Salad w/grilled chicken, eggs, bacon, avocado, blue cheese - blue cheese or ranch or balsamic and oil dressing (sometimes a small smattering of tomatoes and tiny tiny slivers of carrots)
DINNER:
Chicken Salad or Tuna Salad or Chicken Legs or Steak or Salmon or a big green salad or pork Chops (never tomatoes, rarely vegetables)

SNACK
Sometimes cheese (probably too much cheese)
Sometimes a couple of squirts of canned whipped cream
Sugar Free Jello

On weekends:
A couple of vodka-sodas with lemon...

Whaddya think?
Old 04-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
A couple things that are possible - how much half and half are you having with your coffee? heavy whipping cream doesn't stall me but I know it does some people

Balsamic has like 2 carbs per tbs I think so depending on what you are using there that can affect you.

Alcohol stalls many many many people - I can go either way.

Make sure you are getting enough veggies - 2-3 cups of salad veggies and up to 1 cup of other veggies (assuming you are planning on actually following Atkins induction)

It always helps me to re-read the induction rules when I restart induction because it's easy to forget how much cheese, cream, veggies, etc to eat.

And I didn't plug your food in but I would definitely (!!!) go a few days and fully measure and use some kind of calculator
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
You may need to watch your protein intake also. Check out the NK thread for more info.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
Start Date: February 2013
What kind of exercise are you doing? How active are you? Are you moving 10,000 steps per day? Each time we gain and lose it is harder and harder to lose.

Have you had a physical lately? Have you had a blood test and hormones checked?

Do you check your ketones daily??

Exercise and Atkins go together well! In fact, I started a rigorous training program with a personal trainer on February 1st with approval from my Dr. after a full physical and bloodwork. I trained with cardio interval training with a heart rate monitor 5 days per week and weight training 2 days per week. I have never exercised this hard in my entire life! But after 6 weeks I had only lost 10 lbs. I thought just cutting fast food and junk food would do the trick. It was not until I started induction that I really started dropping lbs.... And the workouts actually got easier!!

Last edited by CTH; 04-01-2013 at 07:24 PM..
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
HWP
Junior LCF Member

cth - thanks - that's really promising... i do tae kwon do - and when I do it hard - 5 days a week - I don't loose. it's pretty active, sweating my face off every time... I have had a physical and have had my blood work and am on thyroid medicine at a low trial dose. I go back for a quick-check later this month. I don't check my ketones everyday. Should I read up on that?

Also - Tina - I think I just need to get more gestapo on counting again... and probably lay off the vodka and cheese (boo!)