Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jeffery
Stats: 418/308/215
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: December 2012
induction phase for longer than 2 weeks?

i have been under the impression that for people who have a lot of weight to lose that it's necessary to stay in the induction phase for longer than 2 weeks. Can anyone clarify?

i started the diet in december/2012 and have stuck to the 20 carbs per day thing for the past 3 months. i had planned on getting the book and investigating the process further but as the weight started peeling off i figured i was doing things right.

i've lost 60 pounds so far (starting weight was 418) and i'm getting to the point now where i feel like i can start adding some exercise into the mix. i'm wondering if i'll need to change things up at all diet wise as i do?

any advice would be greatly appreciated! -jeff
Jeffery is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2013, 04:18 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Dr. Atkins said that for people with a lot of weight to lose, staying in induction for longer than two weeks is an option, not a necessity. He said as long as you're not bored with the food, stay for months if you like, but as soon as you start getting bored with the food, think about moving onto OWL and up the carb ladder, because you might be tempted to cheat.

So it's an option, not a must.

I've been in Induction since January 3rd (this time), and plan to be for at least several more months.

If you want to stay on Induction longer than you have been, that's fine. If you want to move ahead to OWL, that's fine too. There's no need to add anything simply because you're adding exercise, though. Many of us do just fine exercising (weights and/or cardio) on induction. Be aware that aerobic exercise is a healthy thing, but it doesn't really contribute to weight loss. I would recommend that you look into starting a weight training program over cardio, because a good weight training regimen will help you maintain your lean body mass while you're losing fat. That will help you tremendously in many ways.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Dr. Atkins said that for people with a lot of weight to lose, staying in induction for longer than two weeks is an option, not a necessity. He said as long as you're not bored with the food, stay for months if you like, but as soon as you start getting bored with the food, think about moving onto OWL and up the carb ladder, because you might be tempted to cheat.

So it's an option, not a must.

I've been in Induction since January 3rd (this time), and plan to be for at least several more months.

If you want to stay on Induction longer than you have been, that's fine. If you want to move ahead to OWL, that's fine too. There's no need to add anything simply because you're adding exercise, though. Many of us do just fine exercising (weights and/or cardio) on induction. Be aware that aerobic exercise is a healthy thing, but it doesn't really contribute to weight loss. I would recommend that you look into starting a weight training program over cardio, because a good weight training regimen will help you maintain your lean body mass while you're losing fat. That will help you tremendously in many ways.
thanks ntombi, that clears up a lot! i think i'm going to stick with induction for a while since it's been been going well and i'm not bored with the food yet. and thanks also for the weight training tip. i had planned on starting with just doing some stretching and walking at first, but since i've been feeling pretty good i think i might be able to give the weights a try.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AllieBee
Stats: 238/238/140
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: August 16, 2014
Hi, Jeffery! I don't know if you've seen this or not, but I thought it might help.

Jump Starting Weight Loss

So amazing that you've lost so much weight already! That's really something to be proud of! Keep up the great work!
AllieBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieBee View Post
Hi, Jeffery! I don't know if you've seen this or not, but I thought it might help.

Jump Starting Weight Loss

So amazing that you've lost so much weight already! That's really something to be proud of! Keep up the great work!
i just spent the last couple hours reading up on the program from the atkins site. thanks for the link! i had no idea that they had so much info on there.

a couple random questions that came up from the reading...

- why is it necessary to take an "iron-free" multivitamin? i've been taking centrum for men under 50. it has 8mg of iron.

- how important are the veggies on the diet? i rarely do any veggies. maybe one salad during the week, and small amounts of broccoli, green beans, an peppers. but not very often. i might go several days without doing any veggies at all. i figured the multivitamin i was taking would help with that.

is it possible that i'll have even better results if i change the vitamins and add the veggies? i'm averaging 3-3.5 lbs. of weight loss per week right now.

Last edited by Jeffery; 04-02-2013 at 02:50 PM..
Old 04-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
I stopped taking iron because my body had weird pains. Of course I hit up Dr. Google and learned high iron could be to blame. I realized I'm probably getting enough in my diet. Big sure if that's why it's suggested, but that's why I stopped.

P.S. You're doing great!
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
Also, I lose faster with those veggies and stall without, even if my carbs are at 5. It's like a free 15 carbs and faster loss. For me.
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
For me, I avoid the veggies. I stick to meat, eggs, cheese, mayo, and coconut oil mostly. It's what works best for me, but you may just have to experiment and see what works best for you. You're doing GREAT!!!
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon bit View Post
I stopped taking iron because my body had weird pains. Of course I hit up Dr. Google and learned high iron could be to blame. I realized I'm probably getting enough in my diet. Big sure if that's why it's suggested, but that's why I stopped.

P.S. You're doing great!
i haven't noticed any side affects from the vitamin i'm taking, but to be honest i've never been one for supplements so i'm not even sure what to look for. i feel fine though, and will probably finish out the bottle i have (100 or so tablets left) and then do some research before buying my next round.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

as far as the veggies go, i'll probably try to add some more into the mix. had subway sammich yesterday that i dumped the innurds into a mission style low carb tortilla and it was pretty awesome! just the veggies in that are more than i sometimes get in an entire week so i might add that to my list. haha!

and also, thanks to everyone for all the encouragement! kinda diggin' the support system you guys seem to have going on this site. me thinks i'll stick around! (;