Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: PinkyLee
Stats: 200/190/140-35
WOE: Atkins (2002)
Start Date: March 14th 2013
Tea carbs or no carbs

I know there are some other tea threads but some at least are deadish and the one I had a response in isn't really a diet that worries about carbs............ and some are so long that I would be reading for days and maybe still find out nothing I want to know. So I am pasting my questions here. Direct me to the source of all knowledge please LOL!

Or give the answer your best shot

I love my tea! But it is next to impossible to find any nutrition information on what I drink.
Stash
Celestial Seasonings

In most databases they come up no carbs

But I notice that someone on a tracker site had entered information that gave some of them .5 or .20 pf a carb. So I am confused

I do know that Stash ONLY uses maltodextrin in their ice tea powders to help with disbursement when you're mixing. I will be darned if I can see how a black or herbal hot tea can have a carb.

Does anyone here know the answer or know where I can find it? I thought about emailing them but I have a feeling that what is in their FAQ is all there is.

Last edited by PinkyLee; 03-27-2013 at 06:55 AM..
PinkyLee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
well, since you are infusing leaves, which are part of a plant, I daresay there is SOME residual carb in the liquid when you are done. I don't think regular unflavored green or black tea have enough to count, even if you drink a lot.

herbs might be a different story. if you took something that had starch in in, dried it, and then soaked that in water, there would be carbs in the liquid. I doubt many of the actual herb leaves have enough to count, but the minute they start putting junk in those blends like Celestial Seasonings, I am less certain.

I think some of their "after dinner tea" type things have some carbs, for example.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitcub
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/19/09...this time
I drank tea nearly every day on induction - in fact, it was my only sweet treat. Tea with a little heavy cream and packet of Splenda in the evening was divine! There may be a small trace of carbs in there but not much. As long as the tea has no added sugar of any kind in there, I think you are safe to count it as 0 carbs.
kitcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Another big tea drinker here. There are residual carbs in tea, but I don't really worry about them. I suppose if you drink like half a gallon a day, I might count that as maybe two grams of carbs, but that's about it.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Stats: Starting at158lbs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 03/25/13
Me too.

Add me to the tea drinkers roster. It's a treat I look forward to every afternoon. I don't pay any attention to the carbs on this one. I'm afraid too much deprivation might create a problem for me.
NeedingMotivation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thanks all :)

That is more or less where I am on this too.
Especially the part where too much deprivation isn't a good thing..

Most of my tea is Stash brand. I drink green tea a couple of times a day and I love their Licorice spice but it is all roots and spice and herbs no sugars.

I just ordered White Bouquet a loose tea that has rose, cornflower, calendula and marigold combined with white tea, orange peel, papaya, apple and cinnamon. The taste is distinctively rosy with sweet, fruity undertones. But those fruits are essences or flavors and when you think of how large the batch of tea is......can't be much when you break it down.

I even bought a new teapot to go with it.

I intend to make my tea a ritual I think. My moment in time for peace and quiet.

As to iced tea I love it but I would brew it and chill it.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I brew my own iced tea too. I drink far more tea than coffee, but I don't bother to count the carbs in either.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/190/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I've been wondering about this, as I've replaced my Mio with herbal teas, and I'm drinking a few quarts a day. Basically, I drink coffee in the morning, and at lunch I switch to decaf, and after I leave work I switch to herbal tea. I am having fun picking out new flavors - and I add just a few drops of liquid stevia and adding less as we go. Needless to say, I'm not counting carbs in coffee and tea, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who wondered.
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:05 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

crumpets

I think I will search for an Atkins friendly crumpets recipe. Then I will invite you all to tea.