Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   Ready to start tomorrow (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/800213-ready-start-tomorrow.html)

NeedingMotivation 03-24-2013 06:54 AM

Ready to start tomorrow

Hi, Iím getting ready to start this program tomorrow. Went grocery shopping over the weekend and bought enough food to make a lot of the recipes I found on this site. Iím 52yo, 5í3 tall, weigh 158lbs now and would like to eventually get down to 130-140lbs. Any hints on advice for getting through the first week?

tinamanni 03-24-2013 12:08 PM

Remember that the first few days are the hardest. Once your body is in ketosis it's easier to stay on plan.

Eat only what is allowed on induction and follow the cheese and cream limits very closely.

Make sure you are measuring/weight/counting everything you eat. It's easy for those pesky carbs to sneak in when we aren't measuring as closely as we should.

Good luck!

DairyQueen 03-24-2013 01:57 PM

Yes, measuring is critical when you are new (well -- even when you aren't new). You will be surprised how little 3 ounces of hamburger really is!

If you are a planner and like to know what you're going to eat over the next few days, go ahead and do it.

Sometimes you may feel hunger pangs and you should have something on hand as a go-to no carb snack, like a hard-boiled egg or maybe a rollup (slice of ham/slice of cheese rolled up.

Try to keep things as simple as possible your first two weeks; Atkins works better that way. Stick strictly to the induction food list and eat mostly the lower carb salad ingredients, meat and fish, cooked as simply as possible (i.e. sauteed or broiled or grilled).

Make sure that you will never say to yourself - "There's nothing in here that I can eat."

Try not to eat out during your first week; it's much easier to control your eating at home.

Come back here and ask for advice. There are a lot of wise atkins veterans who will answer your questions.

gab 03-24-2013 02:35 PM

Good luck and welcome aboard!

bacon bit 03-24-2013 02:50 PM

If you cut veggies today, prepare as much as you can today, it will be easier to grab it when you're hungry. Best wishes in your journey!

NeedingMotivation 03-25-2013 03:33 AM

Thanks for taking time to post. I appreciate the advice.

SeattleMorena 03-26-2013 09:41 PM

Hello there I'm starting induction on Thursday as I'm travelling for business. I'm 5'3 and 161 and my goal is 128 so 35 pounds. I plan on following the 72 plan as I did that years ago and it worked perfectly. I'm going to stay away from sausages and salami's and just stick to regular beef, chicken and pork. plus I will try and work out at least 3 days a week

I know atkins works and the first 3 /4 days will be the hardest, but it will be so worth it in the end..

This forum definitely has been motivation :)

kempmuhlbauer 03-27-2013 08:55 AM

The best advice I can give and the best advice I have ever gotten is to "READ THE BOOK". I have read it many times and it always has something new I missed before. The next best thing was finding this web site to ask the questions when I was to lazy to look it up, that is what we are all here for. Knowledge and support to lose the weight and get healthy.

Dairyqueen is so right on the food choices. Keep it simple and plentiful. In the first few days I eat like a pig, lots of fat and lots of food. After the first few days I will start to track what I am eating. Being prepared is fundamental to staying on plan in the beginning. Cook up pounds of bacon and have plenty of zero carb options handy for hunger pains. And never get hungry ever. If hungry eat, if not stop, if craving have a little snack. Hope this helps.

CTH 03-27-2013 12:44 PM

Make sure and get some Ketostix to test your urine so you know how you're coming along... It took me 4-5 days before they started getting into the really dark range... You can get them at Walgreens... at mine they were actually behind the pharmacy counter but you may find them in the diabetes care section.

I never really got the "induction flu" but I did have some days where I just didn't feel "right." Your body will be going through some serious adjustments over the next week before it "settles" in on the new routine. The first 3-4 days don't be surprised if you're up 2-3 times in the night going pee.

Drink lots of water, stay away from diet soda, and try and up your physical activity if you don't have a normal exercise routine. Brisk walking for 1/2 hour is a good start.

abitobeef 03-27-2013 02:08 PM

It is difficult but make sure you have plenty of snacks. pork rind are a miracle food.

NeedingMotivation 03-27-2013 03:03 PM

Check In

I've been on it since Monday. Lost 2.4lbs. I know it's water; but, it is still motivating to see on the scale.

You all have provided great advice. Induction Flu? That must be why I feel like I'm dragging around. Today, I don't feel as hungry as I did the first couple of days.

What are your thoughts on sugar-free jello?

Thanks for all your wonderful input.

SeattleMorena 03-27-2013 07:23 PM

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I'm not a big diet soda fan so that won't be an issue, however I do love my coffee but I'm going to stay away from it as well and drink water. I will look in Walgreens and Bartells for the keostixs

I'm pumped and ready

Congrats on the loss:)

cfine 03-28-2013 07:04 AM

If you are feeling weak, drink some chicken broth. It will help you feel better. I don't eat sf jello, but I can't imagine that it would be bad to eat it as long as you only have one per day. Too many artificial sweeteners can stall some people. A little homemade whipping cream on top would be yummy.

SeattleMorena 03-28-2013 08:20 PM

Well I'm on day one and so far so good. I've stuck to the book no diet sodas at all. I did have some tea but with no sweetner.

I had 2 eggs with butter for breakfast, fish for lunch and a pork chop and a scramble egg for dinner. I'm actually not hungry at all but if so I have some bacon on hand if I get hungry.. I took my measurements as well and will take them every week.

I know I can do this 35 pounds to go :)

DairyQueen 03-28-2013 08:24 PM

congratulations! so far, so good!

SeattleMorena 03-28-2013 08:56 PM

Thank you Queen. I'm staying focus and have a goal to reach :)

NeedingMotivation 03-29-2013 03:40 AM

Congrats SeattleMorena! Stay strong!

SeattleMorena 03-29-2013 04:21 PM

Today hasn't been a bad as well. The office had devil eggs and found out that they put a little hummus in the yokes along with mayo and mustard which isn't going to do anything but was worried about the hummus. I ate about 6 eggs so I checked hummus so 1 tbsp. is 3 carbs so I calculated just a guess I had 2 tablespoons so 6 but I rounded it to 10 carbs.. tonight baked chicken with butter so no carbs there and this morning bacon and eggs.. So I told myself no more eating others food unless I prepared it :)

I know I shouldn't but will weigh on Sunday which would be going on day 4..

I will do this..