Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Atkins Induction (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/)
-   -   Having so much trouble with this (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/atkins-induction/799927-having-so-much-trouble.html)

peretroika 03-20-2013 05:05 AM

Having so much trouble with this

Hi everyone:)

I am 26 years old, with a wonderful husband and an 11 month old baby girl.
I tried low carb right after she was born but with nursing, couldn't cut it. I was just starving all the time and craving carbs so bad. She weaned 5 months ago, and my mother died 3 months ago. Both of these things led to steady weight gain until here I am, at 5'2 140 lbs.

My goal weight is 115-120 lbs. I have been trying to do under 20 carbs a day but am finding it hard, mostly because I chew gum all day. I quit smoking about 2 years ago but after the death of my mother started to crave cigarettes so bad- instead I've been chewing the Nicorette gum as well as sugar free gum. They have about 1 carb each, and I can easily chew 12 a day :sad: That with the cream in my coffee can bump be out of ketosis so easily.

For breakfast I eat eggs, for lunch usually a salad with grilled chicken or leftovers with spinach or kale, for dinner I usually eat pretty low carb but too much. I can't snack during the day so I am always starving when I get home, and eat too much. I usually eat about 50 carbs a day.

Obviously, I need to stop with the gum (easier said than done!) and cutting down on the cream (I just don't think I can do black coffee and I neeeeed coffee.) And I work full time and have an active child, so planning meals and counting can be really difficult. The emotional sadness of my mother's death plus going back to work makes me want to eat more and more. It's so hard.

I don't know, any advice? I have not lost any weight at 50 carbs a day for over a month, I really do need to get down, but part of me just wants to give up!

JMacB 03-20-2013 05:33 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine how emotional you are feeling right now. I had such a hard time regulating my emotions after my son was born and while I was nursing, and it was only in hindsight that I saw that I was suffering from ppd. Have you considered talking with your ob to discuss the possibility? While experiencing ppd I gained nearly 50 pounds. I could not be satisfied with anything, and my appetite was no exception.

If that isn't the case, keeping hunger at bay is often a matter of increasing fat without adding carbs. There are lots of ways to do this - you will find references to fat bombs on this board a lot - but a cheese cake is often the easiest way.

Good luck and I wish you the best. With an 11-month-old your life is about to get VERY active! Mobility in children is SO overrated! ; )

peretroika 03-20-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMacB (Post 16326000)
I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine how emotional you are feeling right now. I had such a hard time regulating my emotions after my son was born and while I was nursing, and it was only in hindsight that I saw that I was suffering from ppd. Have you considered talking with your ob to discuss the possibility? While experiencing ppd I gained nearly 50 pounds. I could not be satisfied with anything, and my appetite was no exception.

If that isn't the case, keeping hunger at bay is often a matter of increasing fat without adding carbs. There are lots of ways to do this - you will find references to fat bombs on this board a lot - but a cheese cake is often the easiest way.

Good luck and I wish you the best. With an 11-month-old your life is about to get VERY active! Mobility in children is SO overrated! ; )

Thank you! Oh my goodness...there are days I feel like such a failure as a parent. Like, one day I think I got it all together and then she changes! It is so hard. I did worry about PPT- it was quitting nursing and going back to work that really killed it for me. That and losing my mom- which I don't think I've even processed fully yet, because I just don't have time.

Cheesecake sounds great! :) I am all for it!

gab 03-20-2013 07:18 PM

Hey there - I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I can't even begin to imagine how rough that must be. I have a 16 mo old boy (as if my avatar didn't clue you in :)).

I am working at staying at 20-25 carbs a day as well. It is certainly not easy. My overdose is usually in the cheese area. I don't so much have advice but wanted to say hi and i am around if you want a "mommy of a babe" buddy who is also working full time.

Congrats on quitting btw. That is a fantastic step!!! If you are not gaining at 50 carbs a day - well congrats too at maintaing for now. That can be hard to do. So give yourself a pat on the back.

I am a gum chewer as well - used to go through a pack a day. I tried to switch over to water sipping instead not quite the same thing I know.

cfine 03-21-2013 06:24 AM

The Diet Cure by Julia Ross might be helpful to you. It sounds like you could use some supplementation to help you through this trying and emotional time. Also try to give yourself some grace. You've had two major life changes in one year and that a lot for anyone to process.

peretroika 03-21-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gab (Post 16327461)
Hey there - I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I can't even begin to imagine how rough that must be. I have a 16 mo old boy (as if my avatar didn't clue you in :)).

I am working at staying at 20-25 carbs a day as well. It is certainly not easy. My overdose is usually in the cheese area. I don't so much have advice but wanted to say hi and i am around if you want a "mommy of a babe" buddy who is also working full time.

Congrats on quitting btw. That is a fantastic step!!! If you are not gaining at 50 carbs a day - well congrats too at maintaing for now. That can be hard to do. So give yourself a pat on the back.

I am a gum chewer as well - used to go through a pack a day. I tried to switch over to water sipping instead not quite the same thing I know.

Thank you. 2012 was an eventful year, to say the least. How old was your son when you went back?

Your son is adorable. I'm glad we didn't have TOO much snow this year, but the babies in snow photos are the best. :)

I am not gaining, but not losing. I am going to not worry too too much just now, and try to steadily reduce carbs. Chewed a lot less gum today and was in at 30 with 1,600 calories so I don't think that's so bad.
Quote:

The Diet Cure by Julia Ross might be helpful to you. It sounds like you could use some supplementation to help you through this trying and emotional time. Also try to give yourself some grace. You've had two major life changes in one year and that a lot for anyone to process.
Thank you. I am looking this up now. It looks so interesting and I am really wanting to read more about natural ways to improve mood and sleep. I have started taking b12 as recommended by the ob/gyn which helps I think but still, hard to get out of bed some days.

I really appreciate the kindness. Thank you guys.

gab 03-22-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peretroika (Post 16329435)
Thank you. 2012 was an eventful year, to say the least. How old was your son when you went back?

Your son is adorable. I'm glad we didn't have TOO much snow this year, but the babies in snow photos are the best. :) .

He was 9 months old. I definately didn't stay on top of eating right or taking care of my thyroid the way I should and have paid the price. Gained back all weight I lost before being preggo, while preggo and added some :o Frustrating but I find sometimes (often) I would rather grab something pre-made than take time to cook. And I found cooking difficult when he was real little because I hated to put him down ;) (and he cried like crazy when I did). Anwyays, now that he is older and willing to entertain himself (even for short periods of time), it is much easier to spend time in the kitchen.

Your little one is a CUTIE! I love that baldie bean stage

peretroika 03-22-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gab (Post 16330179)
He was 9 months old. I definately didn't stay on top of eating right or taking care of my thyroid the way I should and have paid the price. Gained back all weight I lost before being preggo, while preggo and added some :o Frustrating but I find sometimes (often) I would rather grab something pre-made than take time to cook. And I found cooking difficult when he was real little because I hated to put him down ;) (and he cried like crazy when I did). Anwyays, now that he is older and willing to entertain himself (even for short periods of time), it is much easier to spend time in the kitchen.

Your little one is a CUTIE! I love that baldie bean stage

Hah, thank you, I need an updated photo but I look sort of thin there...

I ate like a beast during pregnancy- it was awesome, but man it is not coming off. And cooking now is so tough! My apartment is such a mess! I am so sad that she's turning 1 soon but will be happy when she can entertain herself, not going to lie.