Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Atkins Induction
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: UnderCoverAbs
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2013
So afraid of carb creep!

I'm in my 2nd week on induction, and hadn't made one single slip-up... until today I ate about 4 honey roasted peanuts (low in carbs, but not on the "allowed food" list), and I snuck a bite of my son's cheerios I am *hoping* that doesn't send me out of ketosis! It got me thinking.. when the time does come to introduce 5g additional carbs to my diet - I might be too scared to actually do it. I've been losing slowly and steadily (I'm fine with that, I don't have many pounds to lose, but 10% of my body fat), I am down 5lbs and 3% already (those measurements were from 4 days ago). Anyway, anyone else scared of the next phase?
UnderCoverAbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Four nuts, even honey roasted, and a bite of Cheerios won't kick you out of ketosis. But taking a bite here and a bite there is a bad habit, so better to break it now.

I'm not scared to move into the next phase, but I plan to spend the rest of my life in ketosis (minus a rare indulgence now and then), so even though I'll be adding more foods, I won't be adding a ton more carbs daily. For right now, and probably the next year or so, though, I'm sticking with induction. Induction foods and induction levels. I have a lot more to lose than you.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 03-19-2013 at 06:31 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: UnderCoverAbs
Start Date: March 2013
It's good to know that won't kick me out of ketosis, but like you said - taking a bite here and there can become a bad habit. Going to be on point with my foods today and from now on. My sister is getting married next month, and I know there are going to be soooo many temptations. The drive alone is going to be dangerous - I usually snack like crazy to keep me awake during that drive (California to Texas). Hopefully I can hold my ground! Where in SoCal are you?? I'm in San Diego
UnderCoverAbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm in Long Beach.

If you're eating on the road, bunless burgers are your friend! I order them regular, and then use the bun just to hold the meat so my hands don't get greasy as I'm driving. If you're already in OWL by then, think about sunflower seeds, with the shells. They take a while to get through, and they aren't too carby. But heck, just turn up the radio and sing loudly.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
A&F
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A&F
Stats: 185/138.4/120
Start Date: 7/12/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Four nuts, even honey roasted, and a bite of Cheerios won't kick you out of ketosis. But taking a bite here and a bite there is a bad habit, so better to break it now.

I'm not scared to move into the next phase, but I plan to spend the rest of my life in ketosis (minus a rare indulgence now and then), so even though I'll be adding more foods, I won't be adding a ton more carbs daily. For right now, and probably the next year or so, though, I'm sticking with induction. Induction foods and induction levels. I have a lot more to lose than you.

The "just one bite" mentality is a hard one to break because generally "just one bite" won't throw you out of ketosis, but it is really important to do so. At the same time I wouldn't worry too much about moving on to the next phase. As you go along you will naturally add in more low carb foods, but not always more carbs. Many here will recommending downloading a tracker, and I would have to agree. I don't pay too much attention to the caloric guidelines, but it has been invaluable for keeping up with how many carbs I've had throughout the day. Tracking all of those "just one bites" lets you know just how they really do add up.

Good luck!

If you haven't experienced Induction Flu yet, I just want to reassure you that it will pass (there are some great tips on here for getting through it), and once it does you will have never felt better!

A&F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:21 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Taking one bite early on just reminds your brain of what it is like to have glucose, physiologically it won't have any effect. Although keep this in mind. Atkins only recommends two weeks in induction where as other plans recommend longer (8 weeks). Some people need longer than two weeks to reset their metabolism and/or get their bodies to develop a more normal response to carbs, if you find when you start adding back carbs that it causes havoc, just go back to induction and do it for 8 weeks with no breaking of the plan.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DairyQueen
Stats: 5'6" 189/141/130
WOE: Atkins induction plus wine/light beer
Start Date: restarted 3/9/12
No -- Atkins recommends at least two weeks of induction. You can continue on induction for as long as you want.
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Right, Dr. Atkins very clearly stated in every one of his books that an extended induction is fine for those who have a lot to lose and aren't bored with the foods. Two weeks was the minimum, not the maximum. That has always been the case.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
Start Date: February 2013
I'm nearing the end of week 2 of induction and have been absolutely flawless about keeping my carbs in the 12-15g range. I also work out 60-90 minutes a day with heartrate interval cardio and weights 5 times per week.

Last night while visiting with friends I had 2 Mich Ultra's and 1 Heineken Light.. supposedly low in carbs (4.6 or something like that). But I also had carrots & ranch. All I had that day was scrambled eggs with ham & cheese for breakfast and that was it so I figured I was right close to 2 carbs or less for the day before we went over to visit with our friends.

This morning my ketostick was light....

I'll be more carefull. I didn't realize how bad carrots are... 3 beers didn't help either but on an "empty" stomach I was feeling pretty good
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SeattleMorena
Stats: 163/154.6/128
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: March 26, 2013
Undercover a had a hand full of wasabi nuts and I'm on day 3 of induction I hope that won't mess me up as well.

I agree little bites here and there can be addictive, so I told myself that is it.. I have 33 pounds to go so no more slip ups. I've been strict the few days as well and the thing is I really wasn't that hungry but they were there and only a handful left so I ate them oh well I'm moving on and getting back on track..
SeattleMorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Carrots are not a good choice. If you look them up, you'll see that not only are they fairly high in carbs, not so high in fiber, they're also high-glycemic. Bad combo.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:48 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

I forgot to add that if you only had a few carrots, I bet the beer did more damage overall.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

OK this is day 4 for me and I'm now down to 157.2 and have lost 1 inch on the tummy and .6 on the hips

I will say I'm doing the Atkins 72 version and I'm being strict minus the handful of nuts I had yesterday so glad to see it didn't mess me up. I'm very happy with the results and I plan on staying on induction until I've reached my goal weight..
Old 04-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Congratulations!!!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Thanks DQ

It feels good to know that it is working.. I will weigh again on Wednesday as it will be officially 1 week but almost 6 pounds in 4 days is awesome. I know mostly water but still it feels good. I did Atkins years ago as well and lost 30 pounds but over the years the weight creep back up. Atkins was the only diet that worked for me so I decided to go back to it. It has been awhile since I did Atkins so this forum helps. I prefer the 72 version as that is what I did before.

I told myself I would like to get to 128 because moving to maintenance I'm thinking I will but on at least 5 pounds.. The weight that my body tends to stick too when I lose weight is 132/133

We can do this ladies

Last edited by SeattleMorena; 04-01-2013 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: spelling errors
Old 04-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Hey how's it going??? Give us an update!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: danni3
Stats: 198/194/155
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: May 5th 2013
Induction flu?

What is Induction flu?

Also, I see that a lot of people are talking about artificial sweetners stalling.....what about Splenda Nectresse? Its supposed to be all natural?

danni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ferry
Stats: Have Lost 33.40 lbs./15.60 lbs. to Goal
WOE: Weight Watchers 360
Start Date: August 22, 2013
Hi! I'm a newbie, but I wanted to share what my husband always tells me....have good, allowable snacks with you at all times. It's so much easier to make the right choice if you have the right option available to you.....It's much easier to fall prey to the wrong bite or snack when you have nothing else to eat. Just wanted to share that! I'm on Day 8 and have lost 5.20 and I feel great! Good luck to everyone!!! Good job!!!
Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
This is wise advice . . . so as never to get too hungry. Still doing ok?

Danni, induction flu refers to a feeling of illness that some people get in the first days of induction. Higher sodium is one way to treat it. I have not had this affliction . . . it appears to be not ununsual but not universal.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote